Crysis 2 Leak Not As Bad As First Thought

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Crysis 2 Leak Not As Bad As First Thought

Crytek was "hit really, really hard" by the leak of Crysis 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Crysis-2-Limited-Pc/dp/B002BS47YE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298384111&sr=8-2] but got a big morale boost from the support of the online community, which has so far largely avoided downloading the upcoming shooter.

Piracy is pretty much a fact of life for every game developer but that doesn't mean they don't feel a sting when it happens. And when your whole game winds up on torrent sites more than a month before the scheduled release of a major, long-awaited title, which is what happened to the upcoming shooter Crysis 2, it hurts a lot.

"We were really high off the feeling that wow, we've got this really awesome game that came together, that we want to play and which will be a lot of fun. Then, getting that kind of news swings your emotions in completely the opposite direction," Camarillo, the executive producer on Crysis 2, told his audience at Gamesblog Live [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/feb/19/gamesblog-live-crytek-crysis-nathan-camarillo-piracy]. "We're normally very communicative at the office, but people just weren't talking to each other like they normally do - it hit really, really hard."

What pulled the studio out of its collective funk, he said, was the same thing that put it there in the first place: the online community. "They were saying, 'Don't download it, don't post anything from it, don't participate in file-sharing of this - it's not the final version, so it's not what they want you to see. Don't spoil it for me - I want to see the final version. I'm glad, at least, that it runs on your PC - it runs on my PC as well, but you still shouldn't have downloaded it'," he said. "Everybody was very supportive, and the community exercised self-policing in that regard, so it didn't quite erupt like when, for example, a final version is leaked."

He's not just blowing hot air, according to Crytek [http://torrentfreak.com/crysis-2-leak-fails-to-result-in-massive-download-fest-110213/] by putting their hands in their pockets next month instead."

Crysis 2 comes out on March 22 for the PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Oh hell yes. This is marvelous news! Goes to show how much gamers care.

Reynaerdinjo

Feb 5, 2010
I wish I could pledge to buy it because I really feel bad for them, but I first want to know if the games is actually good. So I'll just wait until after the release, when there is more information available.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is actually a pretty incredible occurrence. Just when you think Piracy is going to beat the PC gaming market to a bloody, mutilated pulp these gamers are proving that consumers still have a conscious. Now I may have pirated a few games before (none of which have seen a notable amount of profit in over a decade), but I am generally against such behavior and will always support a developer/artist/studio/etc. that I respect and enjoy. I may not have ever played Crysis, but if Crytek has a fan-base this loyal it might be worth checking out... might need a better PC first though :p

jhlip

Feb 17, 2011
That's great to hear. I thought when it came out on torrent sites, it would turn into a massive moment for internet haters to bash the internet for its access to free information, but the fact that the section of the community it affects stood up together and said "Don't download this" makes me extremely happy.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
My guess is, it's because pc gamers are fed up with shitty cod clones.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Impressive. Of course, they're only talking about public torrents. There are private torrents out their for it too, but that's not going to garner half the amount of numbers a public one is.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
I was rather pissed when I heard about the majorly early leak earlier... So this is a really good point to go to bed on. :D
G'night. ^_^

pyroghast

Feb 21, 2011
i am happy that the pc gamers are supporting a developer that has stuck with the platform,it makes me think that not all the people on the internet are trolls and pirates.

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Well props to the Crytek community. Glad to see not everyone's out for just their own.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
It still annoys me how it still is implied that the PC community was at fault 'somehow' for the leak in the first place.

Its good the PC community is resisting temptation to get a early gander at the title, especially considering the amount of concern about how much the switch to multi platform has effected the title on the PC, but the ball was dropped at Crytek and / or EA... not the PC community.

Sort out your internal security before crying to the fans of your title I say.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
ciortas1 said:
It's not "just" 10000 downloads. It's just 10000 downloads. Because 10000 downloads is nothing.
Pretty much what I thought myself. Not all those dowloads might even be a lost sale, too. Though does this mean it is possible to accurately track torrent downloads after all, or is this another set of figures pulled out of someone's ass?

If it is correct then I say this has almost restored some faith in humanity. Almost. Nothing ever actually will, but I think this can at least be filed under 'why humanity is still worth fighting for despite everything else'.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Good to see that they took a responsible air in this. I hate when people and companies rage against piracy and act like it's the worst thing in the world. But this only enforces what a lot of people say about piracy, in that just because it's pirated doesn't mean people aren't buying the game/supporting the developer. It also may have to do with how they approached the situation, asking people not to download it. Not threatening lawsuits and punishments galore to anyone found with it, or some such nonsense.

I am looking forward to the final release of this product, despite having played it at my buddies house. We both have it pre-ordered by the way, despite the fact we both checked out the incomplete leaked build.

Windexglow said:
I'd wager it also has to do with a large download size plays a bigger part than a conscious.
It's not actually that large. It only comes in at just under 7 gigs from what I saw. That is nothing compared to some other stuff that is floating around out there. Call of Duty Black Ops is bigger than that, and that was the most pirated game of 2010. It's about the same size as any normal 360 disc. And they get pirated and leaked early all the time.

MGlBlaze said:
If it is correct then I say this has almost restored some faith in humanity. Almost. Nothing ever actually will, but I think this can at least be filed under 'why humanity is still worth fighting for despite everything else'.
Wow, it's disappointing that a)this could make you lose faith in humanity and b)that it could restore any of it either. If you think this is makes something "worth" fighting for, they have professionals that handle that kind of thing. You sound like my room mate, haha. No worries, I'm sparing you the real brunt of what I could say to something like that.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
I downloaded the leak and I have played it a few times. I preordered Crysis 2 last night, you know why? Because I had tried it on my computer, it ran, and it was fucking awesome.
I am tired of people thinking that whenever anyone downloads the build it has to be a bad thing.
__
On a lighter note, I'm glad the spirit at the office has improved.