Gran Turismo 5 Could Be Released Right Now

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Gran Turismo 5 Could Be Released Right Now

Polyphony Digital's Kazunori Yamauchi says that Gran Turismo 5 is at a stage where it could easily be released right now. So why isn't it coming out?

The Gran Turismo franchise is known for its immaculate attention to detail - that's what makes it so drool-worthy for all the gearheads out there who won't stand for anything other than an absolute commitment to realism down to the most microscopic level. There is a point, however, where perfectionism gets a little bit out of hand. Is Gran Turismo 5, which was proudly shown off with a jaw-dropping trailer earlier this week at E3, at that point?

GT5, according to series boss Kazunori Yamauchi, is "at a point where we can release it any time we want," so why not just save all the fans out there the suffering of an even longer wait and put it out? Well, you see, Yamauchi wants to "release it as fast as I can...but we can always keep working on it. It's very important for us to make sure everything is done perfectly and everything is done in detail."

So Polyphony Digital can "always keep working on it," which means that they could be working on forever. Who knows how long it's been in a state that would, by any other standards, be more than good enough for a game to ship? Oh well. At least there's Gran Turismo PSP, which will ship this October. Yamauchi, apparently, is planning some connectivity between the handheld GT and the PS3 one.

"We're hoping maybe to make it so you can share the garage with the PSP version so that cars you unlock on PSP will be available immediately on GT5," he said. For some reason I get the feeling that those cars will be sitting in your GT PSP garage for a good long time.

[Via Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-yamauchi-we-could-release-gt5-now]]

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
That does really seem like an odd comment to make. Kind of worrying, really.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
oliveira8 said:
Bah...Modnation Racers is where the fun is!
Agreed, though a bit of tweaking in the graphics department might be in order (only because the game seems to have too much going on at times).

I'll take Mario Kart Wii or Burnout 3 over a Gran Turismo game any day of the week. Why? Because they're made to be fun. Turismo is made to be real, so unless you find racing in and of itself entertaining...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
scotth266 said:
oliveira8 said:
Bah...Modnation Racers is where the fun is!
Agreed, though a bit of tweaking in the graphics department might be in order (only because the game seems to have too much going on at times).

I'll take Mario Kart Wii or Burnout 3 over a Gran Turismo game any day of the week. Why? Because they're made to be fun. Turismo is made to be real, so unless you find racing in and of itself entertaining...
To be honest I hate driving, I had to take driver's license cause of work, since I started to go to University I haven't touched my car.

So yeah a racing game where I can shoot people, wacky racing tracks and aburd characters. Anyway need to start saving for a PS3.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
harhol said:
Refreshing attitude. With games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 being released in a half-finished state it's nice to see a developer with such a commitment to perfection.
In Fallout 3's case, you seem to be confusing "half-finished" for "we have DLC later"

I mean come on, it'll take about 60-100 hours to find everything in the Capitol Wasteland even without DLC, what did you want? 200 hours?

Anyway my thoughts on GT are as such. After dealing with license tests in real life, I have no desire to re-enact that process in a video game, especially since the real-life test was much easier. Also spending hours upon hours just to build up to be able to race the fun cars isn't much of an incentive either. But that's me. I prefer more arcade-styled racing. I can see how some people would like the gearhead aspect.

But seriously, you can only tweak a game so much before you have to just put it out there. Unless he's got cancer and wants to make the best damn game possible as a lasting legacy I don't see why he's turning this into "Gran Turismo Forever"

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
Simalacrum said:
this smells disturbingly like Duke Nukem Forever.
yeah but the difference is that they actually HAVE a product, you can buy gta 5 prologue right now if you want

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I'm glad they are taking their time. I want the game to be as close to perfect as possible, so any tweaks they make now will be appreciated plus I have Forza to hold me over until then.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
I dislike realistic driving games.
I wanna be able to handbrake turn a a hairpin at 300 mph whilst shooting missiles at old ladies.

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Nice to see that some developers are willing to take the time to put the last bit of polish on their game.

AceDiamond said:
harhol said:
Refreshing attitude. With games like Fallout 3 and Fable 2 being released in a half-finished state it's nice to see a developer with such a commitment to perfection.
In Fallout 3's case, you seem to be confusing "half-finished" for "we have DLC later"

I mean come on, it'll take about 60-100 hours to find everything in the Capitol Wasteland even without DLC, what did you want? 200 hours?
How about a main quest ending that made sense? Why didn't Eden give me the same stuff he gave Autumn? Why couldn't I make Charon (who's freaking bound by contract to do everything I say AND is *healed* by radiation!) turn on the purifier? Why couldn't Fawkes, who's immune to radiation, do it? Why couldn't I threaten to blow off Clover's head if she didn't do it? Why couldn't someone have reached in with a long stick and turned it on, then closed the airlock? Why did I still die, despite having having an advanced radiation suit, Rad-X, and enough Rad-Away to sit outside Vault 87's entrance for a decade? WHY WHY WHY WHY *WHY*!

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
They can keep working on it.

Perhaps they'll finally get around to fixing the brain-dead AI which has plagued the series.

But I'm more excited for Forza 3. Looks better all-around.

And if they're working on car sharing with GT PSP, they should also have car sharing with Prologue. I do not want to unlock my Ferrari F2007 again.

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
Well see, unlike Epic, they don't want to release a game that is 90% glitches.