Chinese Dude Plays for Three Days, Dies

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Chinese Dude Plays for Three Days, Dies

A man spent three days in a Chinese internet cafe and did not survive the encounter.

We all love to play games, but we know that playing them at the exclusion of basic human functions like sleep and food will kill us. Apparently, one Chinese man didn't realize that fact. A 30-year-old guy checked into an internet cafe in the suburbs of Beijing one day and decided to play as long and hard as he possibly could. He allegedly spent 72 hours straight sitting at a computer until he finally passed out, and even though the cafe owners called an ambulance to rush him to the hospital, no amount of slapping the face or smelling salts could resurrect him. According to the cafe, he had spent almost $1,500 on gaming in the last month of his life. The game that the man was playing was not reported, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that it had War and/or Craft in the title.

These kinds of stories from Asian nations are not new. For example, last year, a Korean couple was indicted for placed a curfew on online gaming [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98884-Gaming-Addiction-Leads-to-Death-of-3-Month-Old-Korean-Girl] in order to prevent its population from becoming addicted.

All of these stories seem to be linked to the social problems of gaming in these nations, but I don't know that games are the root cause. Sure, MMOs use mechanics that can can be addictive, but perhaps the economic conditions and lack of civil liberties make these poor souls more susceptible to poor choices when it comes to gaming. If your life is decidedly more enjoyable when you are in a virtual world, why would you ever log off?

Source: BBC [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12541769]

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I put money on the fact it was Hello Kitty Island.

Or maybe we was really really into Eve?

EDIT: World of Warcraft doesn't kill people. East Asian Gaming Cafes do.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
when i'm in a marathon gaming session, at least i remember to eat, sleep, use the bathroom...
you know, the sort of thing that prevents death...

i just don't get how someone can do this to themselves without noticing it happening.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
Maybe like a bartender an internet cafe staff member should know to cut a customer off when they've had too much. Maybe a little bit before 72 hours.

I don't get it, I play a lot of games and I play them for a long time, I still notice when I'm hungry! I go get a snack and I continue playing, it's not hard.

DarkSpectre

Jan 25, 2010
It think you may have a good insight there. They lack true control and freedom in their lives with the exception of their virtual lives. This hypothesis works for totalitarian places like China and Vietnam, but fails to explain such behavior in places like Korea and Japan.

Sep 14, 2009
In Asia, game kills you!

jk, but wow...thats ridiculous. how can you possibly do that to yourself??? damn asian countries..get a hold of yourself!

Dec 14, 2009
Looks like...

*puts sun glasses on*

He ran out of lives.

What can I say? There are people who die because of addictions all the time. Video games are no different.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Okay, so you mean to tell me there are no rules to limit how long you can stay in a particular Café? Maybe kick him out after 12 hours -_-

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
I put my money on that he died of thirst because you dont die from sleep depravation untill 8 to 10 days and from starving until around 6 days.

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
esperandote said:
I put my money on that he died of thirst because you dont die from sleep depravation untill 8 to 10 days and from starving until around 6 days.
He was in a cafe! Couldn't they have given him complementary glasses of water!?

esperandote

Feb 25, 2009
Actual said:
esperandote said:
He was in a cafe! Couldn't they have given him complementary glasses of water!?
Yeah, speacially if he had spent over 1,500 there in the last month. But i think he didn't want to have to leave the game to to pee.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
What's that thing called? Darwinism, good riddance. How did volume 2 of Stephen King's The Stand put it? Not much of a waste of life?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
RikSharp said:
when i'm in a marathon gaming session, at least i remember to eat, sleep, use the bathroom...
you know, the sort of thing that prevents death...

i just don't get how someone can do this to themselves without noticing it happening.
I think it has something to do with the consumption vs. time. Most of us on here have gamed over a period of years. I started off way back in the mists with the Amiga 500 twenty years ago and have moved incrementally from generation to generation. How many of these people went straight from toiling and boredom to MMOs and electronic media? I'm thinking they have an electronic entertainment version of The Bends (It's not a perfect analogy but I think it's close enough).

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
And the cafe workers did nothing for those 3 days?

They didn't kick him out? Tell him to sleep & eat? Anything?

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
manythings said:
I'm thinking they have an electronic entertainment version of The Bends (It's not a perfect analogy but I think it's close enough).
Good idea but I doubt it, or else we would see this all over the world with young kids that have gotten their first taste of MMOs/videogames going nuts.

But you could be right, maybe in the future we'll have an epidemic of game addictions once these kids aren't kids anymore.