Activision Disappointed By Lack of Price Cuts

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Activision Disappointed By Lack of Price Cuts

See, you weren't the only one. Activision CEO Bobby Kotick was also sad to see that none of the current-gen consoles had price cuts announced at E3 this year.

E3 has come and gone, and all the consoles still cost as much as they did last week. And it wasn't just gamers who can't afford or don't want to pony up the asking prices for the PS3, Wii or 360 who were left with a bitter feeling of disappointment. GameStop CEO Don DeMatteo, for one, has been demanding, and, recently, downright expecting [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91915-GameStop-Expects-Wii-PS3-Price-Cuts-This-Year] price cuts.

Now another CEO is getting in on the "tears for no price cut" party: Activision's Bobby Kotick. "I was disappointed not to see any sort of aggressive price cutting," Kotick told Bloomberg in an interview. Like DeMatteo, Kotick thinks that given the current economic climate, the consoles cost much more than they should.

Kotick seems to think that instead of revealing fancy new tech and thinking about the bright future, maybe hardware companies should have spent some time addressing the problems of now. "Of all the things that the hardware companies need to be doing right now, it's recognizing the difficulties of the economy and pricing their hardware appropriately," Kotick said.

Of course, if prices drive sales down, that means people are going to buy fewer Activision games, which is bad for Kotick. But if he and DeMatteo are right and hardware really needs to be cheaper in order for the industry to perform as well as it thinks it will, then maybe the ramifications stretch beyond the bank accounts of a couple of CEOs and to the entire industry as a whole, consumers included.

[Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=216972]]

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Bobby Kotick deserves to get raped...

Anyway! He does make a good point...for once in his life. But sueing Brutal Legend removes his "good" points which brings to the part that Bobby Kotick deserves to get raped, for being the face of everything thats wrong in video games.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
oliveira8 said:

Anyway! He does make a good point...for once in his life. But sueing Brutal Legend removes his "good" points which brings to the part that Bobby Kotick deserves to get raped, for being the face of everything thats wrong in video games.
Are you volunteering to do said raping, should we start a whip round in order to fly out out to activision headquarters?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Pipotchi said:
oliveira8 said:

Are you volunteering to do said raping, should we start a whip round in order to fly out out to activision headquarters?
No but I'm willing to drive him to the rapist group!

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
oliveira8 said:

If you find something willing to rape that abomination, I'll give you a tenner.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
Maybe he should show his good intentions and stop overcharging for the games activision have ruined - oh what's that, you can't spare your bottom line?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
WrongSprite said:
oliveira8 said:

I bet we can find some in the internet no?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Your games are too expensive for this economic period, I demand a price cut and complete games without broken peripheals and not saving all the good songs for DLC.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Good to know the carpetbagging piece of s*** who runs Activision and Blizzard thinks his company should be making more money.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
WrongSprite said:
oliveira8 said:

I'm probably missing something important here; what's the deal with Kotick?

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Well... He reminds me of the MADTV kid. You know that freaky looking mascot thing.

Tempest Fox

Oct 18, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I feel I've seen that face somewhere before... I mean, I've got the comparison picture done, though I'm debating if it'd get me into trouble. And it's that debate that is refraining me from posting a link to said comparison.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
On the one hand he made a good point, on the other hand, the Wii is already pretty inexpensive, the 360 has gone down as far as I think it can, and Sony really can't drop the price on the PS3 anymore without losing even more money on that venture.

So yeah, screw you Bobby Kotick, you don't get a say because you're busy wasting money on a frivolous lawsuit. Maybe you wouldn't be so desperate for money if you weren't trying to sue to stop the release of a game you willingly gave up because you're a fucking moron.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
End your lawsuit against Doublefine Productions and its game Brutal Legends and maybe then I'll believe you care about the industry Activision.