Duke Nukem Forever Rated "M" For Immature

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Duke Nukem Forever Rated "M" For Immature

If Duke Nukem Forever's ESRB rating is any indication, the game is pretty darned raunchy.

The ESRB has put up its rating description for Gearbox's Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299088172&sr=8-1], and boy, is it something. The game is of course rated "M for Mature," with very good reason.

Violence-wise, Duke Nukem Forever seems pretty standard. Players kill aliens with varying types of weapons, like lasers, shotguns, and knives, tearing off their heads and limbs and spraying blood all over the place. Standard for an intensely violent game, anyway.

The silliness with regards to sexual humor also takes Duke Nukem Forever from beyond the realm of E10. The ESRB writes that Duke enters a strip-club level where he can get a lap dance. A mission in this level (**SPOILER ALERT**) has Duke collecting sex toys and pictures of topless women.

Other sequences "strongly imply sexual acts," the ESRB says. One involves two women that "appear to perform fellatio on the central character (e.g., raising their heads from his lap)." There's another where: "Duke moans and leans up against the wall of a bathroom stall (furnished with a hole)." Some of the dialogue includes gems such as: "I have hungry-you have big egg ro' for me, Duke."

So that covers Duke Nukem Forever's sex and violence, but what about toilet humor? Well, the ESRB says there are colon cleansing jokes, Duke can urinate in toilets, and he can also pick up feces and throw it at the walls.

Gearbox was worried [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104170-Gearbox-Worried-Duke-Nukem-Too-Crude-For-ESRB] that Duke Nukem Forever would be "too crude" for the ESRB, but the organization evidently took the best the game had and survived. I'm not so sure the game will be as well received by the non-gaming world, though perhaps it'll slip through the cracks and never show up in a single "videogames are bad for humanity" newspaper article or television segment. And maybe pigs will learn to fly in addition to policing Duke's world.

Duke Nukem Forever will be released for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC on May 3, 2011 in North America, and May 6 everywhere else.

Source: ESRB [http://www.esrb.org/ratings/synopsis.jsp?Certificate=30650]

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
Wow, I'm surprised it passed the ESRB successfully. That makes me very happy.

I'm looking forward to this greatly. It was Duke Nukem' or Bulletstorm for me, and, having played with Duke in the past (*snicker*), I ultimately chose him over "Steven Blum". I'm looking forward to giggling like a young boy at all the stupid jokes.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
If this game gets released and played without any controversy then I will not be able to express my shock.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
I'm quite surprised ESRB accepted it! Well the question now is will it actually release? reach other countries' censors.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
I'm still expecting this to get pulled at the last minute. History's on my side, for the gods will it!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Duke Nukem taught my children how to throw feces. I DEMAND THIS GAME BE CENSORED!

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Legion said:
If this game gets released and played without any controversy then I will not be able to express my shock.
You might want to start work on a system to cope with your shock just in case. Okay I'm sorry that was bad.

OT: I'm surprised it passed rating and didn't get sent back to cut some things. I'm guessing they knew that the game had a history of silly extremes before they started.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Nouw said:
I'm quite surprised ESRB accepted it! Well the question now is will it actually release? reach other countries' censors.
Germany and Australia will probably ban it from idle conversation, let alone store shelves.

OT: I can't say I'm surprised, this *is* Duke Nukem we're talking about here. If it was mature then we would be crying foul like a losing football player.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Well, there's a reason the industry chose to form the ESRB, rather than rely on government censorship. They understand (to some degree) what the medium is and wants to be.

Any problems the developers have to worry about will come from media, not the ESRB.

Anyway, not sure if I'll buy the game. It sounds hilarious, but almost too juvenile for my tastes. Who knows? I guess it'll come down to budget prices.

Captain Pirate

Nov 18, 2009
There's immaturity, then this. How fucking ridiculous.
I'm definately not getting this, and I stand by my prediction in a post I did a couple of weeks ago that Duke will simply not live up to the hype. Either that, or it will, and then everyone'll sort of sober up from the 15-year-long hype and then realise it's a shit game. Which I think it will be. Go on Duke, prove me wrong, with your mediocre graphics, stupidly simple gameplay and less maturity than a 7-year-old.

acer840

(Insert Awesome Title)
Mar 24, 2008
Country
Australia
Oh god, I live in Australia. All news was good news until now, and seeing this article, I really don't see it going past the iron grip of the OFLC. =(

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I was totally expecting the ESRB to shoot this one down. I'm glad they didn't (of course, now we still have Fox News to contend with).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
The title of this thread pretty encapsulates why I will NOT be playing Duke Nukem Forever.
But none of this is any surprise to me.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Only an M? Wow, I am impressed

I've never played a Duke Nukem game, I won't lie, but I'm SUPER excited for this. I'm going to preorder the Balls of Steel edition, mostly for the bust of Duke that you get, but because the more I read about this game, the more excited I get. It seems that there's some actual fun shooters coming out. Loved Bulletstorm (though the story was a bit lacking) and w/ Duke Nukem I hope the trend will last

Btw, I was going to point out the System Shock joke above, but decided against it, but I saw that one too, lol