Double Fine Pits Mechs Versus Aliens in Trenched

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Double Fine Pits Mechs Versus Aliens in Trenched

Double Fine's fourth downloadable game isn't as cute as previous releases, unless you think giant robots are cute.

I don't think there's a studio on the planet with more breadth than Double Fine. In its current downloadable game strategy, the company has announced Sesame Street: Once Upon a Monster [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102707-Double-Fine-Unveils-Trick-or-Treat-RPG-Costume-Quest], and now a customizable mech battling game called Trenched.

In what looks like a period similar to the 1940s-1950s, Trenched takes place in a world invaded by strange alien-like creatures. These creatures destroy every branch of the U.S. military, leaving only one elite force left: The Mobile Trench Brigade. Members of the MTB can do one-handed push-ups like they're nothing, but they also have giant mechs at their disposal which can apparently be customized with all sorts of different parts.

The first trailer for Trenched shows a variety of mechs, from smaller ones equipped with rocket launchers and satellite dishes to huge mechs equipped with massive cannons. There aren't any concrete details on the game's potential single-player and multiplayer modes yet, but the trailer also hints toward an online co-op mode, saying it'll allow us to "march side by side with allies from around the world."

So far, Trenched has only been announced for Xbox Live Arcade. Unless you want a glowing starfish named Vlad to annihilate humanity, you should probably keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for the heads up LavaLampBamboo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/LavaLampBamboo]!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
SOLD!

Seriously though, Double Fine is doing a great job with these little downloadable titles.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
....and now I need to change my pants. Thanks Escapist, maybe a little warning next time before you drop something THAT awesome on me?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
I like it! The feel of the game reminds me of the first Destory All Humans before everything went to hell. I just hope the price is right.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
the concept kind of reminds me of Alien Front Online on the Dreamcast

you know, mechs vs aliens and shit

McNinja

Sep 21, 2008
Mechs?

I F**KING LOVE MECHS.

I am so buying this game when it comes out.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Double Fine have developed so much since the whole Brutal Legend thing. The choice to go download only was a risky move but it's great to see how well it has paid off for them. More power to them.

The game looks awesome by the way =D

Enrathi

Aug 10, 2009
The setting reminds me of Dust. Definitely worth a purchase to me, I love mechs and have been looking for a good mech game for a while now.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That game looks awesome! [Zoidberg]And once you're done with that, give us Brütal Legend 2, maybe?[/Zoidberg]

Sad Face

Oct 29, 2010
Man, I would totally play this.

I wish they would release these in hard copy. These XBLA titles suck for those of us without Live.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Now THIS is a large mech videogame I can get behind... at least until Mechwarrior come out again.

Super Toast

Supreme Overlord of the Basement
Dec 10, 2009
GeorgW said:
That game looks awesome! [Zoidberg]And once you're done with that, give us Psychonauts 2, maybe?[/Zoidberg]
Fixed.

OT: Looks awesome. I'll buy it day one, so long as it comes out on PSN.