Therapist Repeats "Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine" Claim

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Therapist Repeats "Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine" Claim

A therapist in the U.K. is once again claiming that playing videogames produces the same effect in the brain as snorting cocaine, making it "the silent killer of our generation."

Following a report from the National Sleep Foundation in the U.K. that linked videogaming and other electronic distractions with sleeplessness [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43380/Gaming-causes-lack-of-sleep], therapist Steve Pope weighed in with his own theories on the matter. "Spending two hours on a game station is equivalent to taking a line of cocaine in the high it produces in the brain," he told the BBC Radio show 5Live. "It's the silent killer of our generation."

"Computer game addiction can also spiral into violence as after playing violent games, they may turn their fantasy games into reality," he continued. "It is the fastest growing addiction in the country and this is affecting young people mentally and physically."

If that's ringing any bells with you, it's because Pope said the same thing - I mean, the same thing - back in May 2010 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100906-Playing-Videogames-is-Like-Snorting-Coke-Says-Therapist]. The fact that the man is repeating the same line, almost word for word, two years later speaks volumes about his dedication and utter inflexibility as a true believer. In fact, he described his campaign against videogames as a "personal quest to spread the message."

To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary," he said. As for the claims about sleep disruption that started the whole mess, he said staying up late to play videogames causes an "endorphin high in [kids'] brains," leading to a "chemical imbalance" that disrupts behavior and learning.

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43423/Two-hours-gaming-a-line-of-cocaine]

RelexCryo

Oct 21, 2008
Taking a controller out of my hands while I am trying to make progress would annoy me. It would also annoy me if someone took away a good book I was reading, because I would want to find out what would happen next.

Equating a large degree of annoyance derived from someone interrupting your progress with an addiction is...wrong. Some people do get addicted, but people tend to get addicted to lots of things. Tiger Woods is a good example.

awesomeClaw

Aug 17, 2009
...What?

Like...what?

"If you take a kids videogame station away he will react like an alcoholic would" what kind of bullshit is that? You might as well say sex is corrupting this generation! "Sex causes an endorphin rush in the brain, therefor it is EVVUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL!"

If someone stopped you in the middle of sex, i´m pretty sure you´d be pissed to.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
Go into your living room and turn off the TV whilst people are watching it, it will piss them off as well. Or take a book off them whilst theyre reading it... Scary stuff eh?

Dec 14, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Taking a controller out of my hands while I am trying to make progress would annoy me. It would also annoy me if someone took away a good book I was reading, because I would want to find out what would happen next.
This.

For the same reason I would be annoyed if someone took a sandwich out of my hands if I'm trying to eat.

terror_ninja

Feb 22, 2011
I think having a job is worse than playing games. I have to work 9-5 and have nightmares about my job. Games dont do that to me.

Also my job has me waking up early so I can get there on time cutting my sleeping time in half, along with them nightmares. I dont get much sleep. Id rather just play video games.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Upon failing a math midterm last year, I was banned from basically ALL games for three months straight.

I suffered no withdrawal and only had mild urges to stop studying and go play games, about equivalent to my urges to go read books instead.

So what this man is telling me is that cocaine is a safe drug with virtually no addictive properties that will give me a moderate high while studying.

Good to know! I'll go find some and try it right away! I wonder why it's illegal...?

EDIT: Or maybe he's telling me that books are as addictive as cocaine as well...?

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Even if this statement was true couldn't it be regarded as a good thing? I mean at the end of the day would you rather be doing crack or playing video games? I'd go with video games, i've seen what crack can do to people and it isn't pretty.

PurpleLeafRave

Hyaaaa!
Feb 22, 2009
I can stop playing games if I have work to do.
The same could not be said if I took cocaine.
Plus, I can still be upset whilst playing games, so the high part is a load of rubbish.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
Has a video game ever directly killed anyone (as in, not died due to neglect of survival needs)? I'm fairly certain the answer is "no".

Has Cocaine? Yup.

I fail to see the parallels here and I completely fail to see how video games are a "silent killer".

Andy Chalk said:
To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze.
I'd probably react the same if somebody walked up to me and snatched, to arbitrarily pick something, an ice cream out of my hands. That doesn't mean ice cream is bad, it just means I was enjoying my goddamn ice cream!

Buh. This story melts my brain.

TheDist

Mar 29, 2010
awesomeClaw said:
...What?

Like...what?

"If you take a kids videogame station away he will react like an alcoholic would" what kind of bullshit is that? You might as well say sex is corrupting this generation! "Sex causes an endorphin rush in the brain, therefor it is EVVUUUUUUULLLLLLLLL!"

If someone stopped you in the middle of sex, i´m pretty sure you´d be pissed to.
lol, indeed, or try takining somones food out of their hands as they eat, or hell take away anything from somone while they are in the middle of doing/using it.

That line to me suggests the level at which this is aimed, alarmist crap. I wonder if the man has a book he is trying to sell.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
This guy must be mental. Take ANYTHING a kid loves away from him/her and they are gonna have a break down.

Love how people try to make their point by bending truths to suit their purposes rather than using some common sense.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
ok... what???

he is saying kids will get angry if you pull away their toy or other thing they are doing!?

no shit sherlock!, if i recall correctly KIDS are IMMATURE in the face of being told they cant do something, its part of the "growing up" step

if you tell a kid "you are grounded, and cant watch TV for a week" what do you think the kid would do??

and if you unplugged the XBOX what do you think it would happen?? after all, the XBOX haves something called "save state corruption" and the kid knows about it

now taking away the controller is just like turning off the TV, they would react the same way, probably with more force with the game because they were "working" on its progress

and where have i seen that smile before???

oh... right...

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"personal question to spread the message."
Is that a typo? Question instead of quest? Or maybe I'm reading that wrong.

Can't deny this claim. I'm no longer a kid by far (Go Pong!), and I'm sure if someone took a game controller from me mid-way through a game, I'd growl viciously as a warning, then take off their face if they resumed.

But gaming hardly affects my sleep, and after playing a game I have no interest in burning orphanages. After all, I have a job to do.

Edit - for some reason when I first saw the title I read, "Therapist Repeats 'Gamers Snort Cocaine'".

Bags159

Mar 11, 2011
tk1989 said:
Go into your living room and turn off the TV whilst people are watching it, it will piss them off as well. Or take a book off them whilst theyre reading it... Scary stuff eh?
God damnit, now I need to attend Video Gamers Anonymous, Book Readers Anonymous, and TV Viewers Anonymous!

Do my depraved, addiction driven ways know no bounds?

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Looks like someone is stuck in 2005... Luckily he does not have much power to act on these pretty ridiculous claims. It really is fascinating how some people can be so far removed from reality. I wonder if he has any research to back up his claims beyond anecdotal evidence. How does he know that games are the same as snorting a line of cocaine? There is no research that I know of the supports that...

dubious_wolf

Obfuscated Information
Jun 4, 2009
Alright guys lets just keep this in mind...

14. Do not argue with trolls ? it means that they win.

But I suppose a well structured debate would be alright.