Therapist Repeats "Gaming is Like Snorting Cocaine" Claim

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
Hey, I have an idea.

When this guy goes on another radio show someone should march right in, take the microphone away, and see how he reacts.

mastiffchild

May 27, 2010
As a gaming parent(of three gaming kids)I can honestly say that very little of what he said rings any bells with me-and I think the strength of reaction to stopping anyone doing something they enjoy suddenly depends entirely on that individual.

My eldest kid is a straight A student of fiften years of age, she suffers with ADHD and as long as we never allowed her to game just before bed she's never had any issues with it. She's also happily left gaming to do other activities-sports, youth clubs, drama etc all her life and has had much more positives from games in her .life and education.

I'd say my two boys*(nine and twelve) have gained even more from gaming because we don't just l;et them play ALL the time and to be frank they DO NOT want to anyway. Our two both play football and cricket while the eldest has swimming club and the youngest rugby and hockey on top of their main sports. Now, most drug addicts I know let most areas of their lives take second place to their addiction-this has never been the case in our home.

If our youngest is tired then, sure, you'd get a big moan from taking the controller from him but no more than you would by calling him in prematurely from playing out or doing anything he likes and it's more to do with his age and him not being as wise and understanding about social situations and basically accepting we have to say "no" to ourselves at times. Behaving like a junkie deprived of a fix, though? Seriously, this guy's so wide of the mark it's untrue.

Gaming has helped my kids socially with MP online gaming giving them a grounding in that kind of thing and what's acceptable and what isn't as well as allowing them, in certain games, too develop teamwork skills as well-LBP does this while showing them how physics and construction and simple engineering works as well. I've always played a lot of (J)RPGs with my boys too and this has, I'm certain, helped them become great readers well ahead of the curve in school-another thing it helps with is maths(stats etc)and comprehension and problem solving and also working things out by their context. Overall that there's the usual hand/eye coordination stuff and the way it's gopt them interested in actual histories after playing certain games too.

I'm not saying my daughter wouldn't be straight A's without gaming or that my boss would be doing less well either but it' my opinion that a sensible approach to gaming has made a lot of areas of learning more easily approachable for them and made the general task of applying schoolbook know how to actual situations a LOT easier and better for them. I doubt a line of charlie befre school would do the same-apart from a half hour confidence boost perhaps?

I speak from a position of great knowledge about drug abuse as a former user with a parent who now works in rehabilitation and fail to see any similarities at all. I HAVE a very addictive personality myself, am Bipolar and given to impulse but even with my gaming I've sense nothing like this guy is scaremongering and it strikes me he may be the one with an addiction issue-to the little bits of fame he gets when he absurdly soundbites about the untested evils of gaming as a "drug. Tool.

Drake_Dercon

Sep 13, 2010
Actually, my schooling has improved since I started playing games regularly. I can also get up and walk away when I need to, so either I'm one of those people that can impossibly manage to use cocaine casually or this guy is a moron.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I've never done drugs, but I've been playing video games since I was four.

...This could look bad on a future resumé.

Anyway, I kind of see where this guy is coming from, but it's ridiculous to say that video games are the "silent killers of our generation".

Apparently, it's impossible to just play video games for fun any more. Nowadays, they all have to be taking over the player's life and forcing them to do evil things, et cetera.

Aug 25, 2009
It's taken me six days but I finally figured out what my response to this was.

Yes, go upstairs and try to take your children's game controller away from them.

Or maybe, if your child is an avid reader, try and just grab a book away from them when they're mid-sentence, or shut off their music in the middle of a song, or disconnect the DVD player in the middle of a movie.

I'm about 90% certain you'd get exactly the same result.

uc.asc

Jun 27, 2009
Yawn. Some nobody starts spouting bullshit about games to get famous and cash in. Same shit as the mass effect "controversy", same shit as the "games aren't art" guy.

Why do I care

Jan 13, 2010
Ah, here we go again.

Yes, people will get annoyed if you take the controller away when they are playing a game. It's not like snorting cocaine because games are supposed to be fun and immersive. If I have a project to do, I'll do the damn project first.

Amazing how people think that they can convince millions that gaming is bad when it's really not.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
RelexCryo said:
Taking a controller out of my hands while I am trying to make progress would annoy me. It would also annoy me if someone took away a good book I was reading, because I would want to find out what would happen next.

Equating a large degree of annoyance derived from someone interrupting your progress with an addiction is...wrong. Some people do get addicted, but people tend to get addicted to lots of things. Tiger Woods is a good example.
I kind of have to agree. I spend more time reading than gaming.

And I have a question what about those of us who (use to) work nights and aren't use to being up during the day? I had a job for 2 years that I mostly worked either 430 pm til midnight or midnight to 6 am. And the last year or so of it I had one shift a week that was a combo of the two and was a double shift. Its hard getting on a normal sleep schedule again after hours like that.

And taking away my books makes me violent. Taking away my gaming system annoys me. And slightly pisses me off since I'm an adult and bought my system, tv, and games myself with my own hard earned money.

Oh well, at least it gave me a laugh for the night to read that.

schiz0phren1c

Jan 17, 2008
Wow!
some well thought out answers and arguments from my fellow escapees...
but the OP is either the worst,most pathetic troll I've ever seen,
or a genuine retard.
I've worked on doors in some of the dodgiest bars in Ireland,the UK,Tenerife and all over the world for 20 years now,and include many Martial Arts and competition IPSC practical shooting as my hobbies...but that doesn't mean I approve sorting my problems with my fist(or SPAS 12,or Colt Commando model '70).
try that argument out when you've helped treat a beautiful girl for a stab wound to the face from a broken glass(it left a 4in scar on this poor girls face)that was put there by another girl who thought VIOLENCE was the best way to skip the queue at the bar,would it have been a solution in your eyes for me to break the second Lady's arms"so she learned her lesson"?
jesus,why am I even getting so het up(or possibly trolled) about this...I'm proud of the fact that I use psychology,persuasion,and distraction regularly in my job,not violence.

dls_87

Mar 17, 2011
This guy needs to be removed from the BPS.
As a member who has a degree in psychology and councelling and did his dissertation in the effect games have on anger i found no relation to increase in aggression with video game use and found hardly any support for it in previous research. This is just unmitigated hating on a subject he doesnt understand or even want to understand.
And two hours of gaming is not the same as doing a line.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Any time you hear the words "chemical imbalance in the brain", you know it's a crack-pot theory, plain and simple.

VGC USpartan VS

Feb 14, 2011
Don't worry everybody. Some studies have pulled out that 90% of kids play video games in some areas so.... once they grow up and people like this die... there won't be any more hate for games.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
I've probably been ninja'd on this a dozen times over but... wow, and games are so much cheaper than cocaine... and you can reuse them. Score!

Also amusing, there's an iPhone app called iSnort, where you chop virtual lines of coke on the screen, then you can touch your nose to it to make it vanish.

cefm

Mar 26, 2010
Inasmuch as the appeal of games or drugs is massively increased if you are BORED or UN-MOTIVATED by your current assigments, tasks, work, life, etc. then he's spot-on.

But if I go on vacation to the beach for 2 weeks I don't need to bring the games with me. Coke-heads would never leave their source for 2 weeks.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
To make his point, he suggested that parents listening to the program "go upstairs to your kid's bedroom and try and take the game station controller out of their hands." They will react "in the same way as an alcoholic would if you tried to take their booze. It's scary," he said.
... Wow what a dumbass. Okay now kids, when your dad is reading the newspaper in the morning go rip it out if his hands, he'll respond the same way as an alcoholic would, isn't that scary? That must mean newspapers are like alcohol ... or cocaine I guess ... I don't know, what's this guy's point again? I'm too high on video games to remember :p

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Funny how he says 'act like a total twit and people will get upset' while sounding like a total twit and making us upset.

TehChuckles

Jan 12, 2011
Grunt_Man11 said:
Hey, I have an idea.

When this guy goes on another radio show someone should march right in, take the microphone away, and see how he reacts.
HA! I Approve! only you have to do it when he's mid sentence.