Valve Steals Designer Known for Thief, Deus Ex

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Valve Steals Designer Known for Thief, Deus Ex

As if Valve needed any more talent, the Half-Life studio has now acquired a designer known for his work on some of the coolest games ever.

Half-Life [http://www.amazon.com/THIEF-Collection-Project-Deadly-Shadows-Pc/dp/B0011EA24I/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1300372880&sr=1-1]. Sounds like a match made in heaven, right?

That's exactly what occurred in recent weeks, with Gamasutra discovering that Doug Church is now an employee of Valve. Church has been working as a designer in the videogame industry for decades, having put his hands on the previously mentioned Thief, System Shock, and Deus Ex series, in addition to Freedom Force [http://www.amazon.com/Ultima-Underworld-Pc/dp/B000067GB1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300372846&sr=1-1-spell].

Church's last known move was to EA as executive producer on Steven Spielberg's LMNO [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104277-EA-Confirms-Cancelation-of-Steven-Spielbergs-LMNO], a reportedly ambitious project that never saw the light of day. Valve confirmed that Church has now been with Valve for "a couple weeks."

Valve didn't say what Church would be doing at the company, but when you acquire someone with his skill set you don't exactly put him on a farming simulator or another top-down zombie shooter. Chances are, Church will aid with the creation of something in the vein of his previous projects, or bring his expertise to established Valve franchises. Either way, this is pretty great news.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33575/Valve_Confirms_Hiring_Of_Thief_Designer_Doug_Church.php]

MaG iiC 3E

Dec 5, 2010
I wonder what Valve is working on that requires this kind of talent?

Seriously, I hope there's a new stealth-em-up in the works.

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
And here I thought that Valve had already hired some of the old Looking Glass crew. Huh.

If he help pull off some great new stealth games, that'd be great.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Maybe they are switching up the formula and Episode 3 will be a stealth-em-up (!)

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Valve and the guy who helped design Deus ex!?

......does anyone else smell the awesome?

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Exterminas said:
Why "steal"? Is it wrong to hire someone who does a good job?
I think it was a play on words since he worked on thief.

OT: it seems everything Valve touches turns to gold. My only issue with them is what I think everyone's(except haters?)issue is. They can't put out stuff for me to buy fast enough!

TheAmazingHobo

Oct 26, 2010
Exterminas said:
Well, I suppose it is just a phrase commonly used, when an employee switches employers.
But it is a bit silly and I´m more used to it from the world of sports.

"Talented, accomplished dev now works for valve after probably normal and perfectly legal negotiations" also doesn´t sound snappy enough.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Braedan said:
Exterminas said:
I think it was a play on words since he worked on thief.

OT: it seems everything Valve touches turns to gold. My only issue with them is what I think everyone's(except haters?)issue is. They can't put out stuff for me to buy fast enough!
Oh. I see. Now I feel stupid : /

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
"Grampa... What was it like in the before-time?"
"Well, sonny, it was a different age. Talented designers were sprinkled throughout the industry. They worked for various studios and publishers. It was simple times. Then along came Valve wreathed in a cloud of steam. They began snatching them up one by one till they owned all the talent in the world."
"...Wow. You mean Lord Newell didn't always rule the world?"

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
swankyfella said:
"Well, sonny, it was a different age. Talented designers were sprinkled throughout the industry. They worked for various studios and publishers. It was simple times. Then along came Valve wreathed in a cloud of steam. They began snatching them up one by one till they owned all the talent in the world."
I, for one, welcome our new Valve overlords.

Music Mole

Apr 15, 2009
swankyfella said:
I see what you did there, and I approve.

swankyfella

Mar 17, 2011
Dragonborne88 said:
swankyfella said:
I, for one, welcome our new Valve overlords.
Let me rephrase that. *ahem*

"...Wow. You mean Lord Newell didn't always rule the world? That's horrible!"

Dragonborne88

Oct 26, 2009
swankyfella said:
Let me rephrase that. *ahem*

"...Wow. You mean Lord Newell didn't always rule the world? That's horrible!"
haha You saying that reminds me of the Neutral ending for Jade Empire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0w3Xg0t7u4

And hey, I agree. If they keep the current pattern they are holding, I have no problems with a Valve monopoly. I already stopped buying Computer games from anything other then STEAM.