The Spice Stops Flowing for Dune Movie Reboot

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Spice Stops Flowing for Dune Movie Reboot

Work on a new Dune movie may have stalled, but some good work came out of it, says the movie's producer.

After four years of development, Paramount has decided to call it quits on a cinematic reboot of the classic sci-fi novel, Dune. Producer Richard P. Rubinstein, who manages the movie rights to the Dune books, says that the split came down to money, but that it had been amicable.

According to Rubinstein, Paramount's option on the property expired, and that he was unable to come to a new agreement with the studio. There was nothing new in the pipeline for the Dune franchise, he said, adding that he was considering his options. Rubinstein liked the script that came out of the collaboration between Pierre Morel and Chase Palmer during the development process, and said that he would re-approach the pair in the future. If Rubinstein does decide to take that script further, Paramount will be able to recoup some of its development costs.

Dune, and its sequels, tells the story of the desert planet Arrakis: the only source of the spice, Melange, and home to the Fremen, a race of desert warriors with blue-in-blue eyes. The spice is vital to interplanetary space travel, but harvesting it is difficult because of the gigantic sandworms that roam Arrakis' sands. As if that wasn't enough, the politics of the Landsraad, and especially the vendetta between the great houses of Atreides and Harkonnen, make Arrakis a very dangerous place to be.

The first book was adapted into a movie in 1984, which starred Kyle MacLachlan, Patrick Stewart, and Sting, and was directed by David Lynch. The movie flopped at the box, but later developed a cult following. Years later, Rubinstein and his production company New Amsterdam developed the first three books into a pair of mini-series in conjunction with SyFy, then still known as the Sci-Fi Channel. These were much closer to the books and were much better received.

Rubinstein, who also worked on the Dawn of the Dead remake and a number of Stephen King properties, said that he knew what he wanted to do with the franchise, and he was on the lookout for someone who agreed with his vision and had enough cash to make the movie that the franchise deserved.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2011/03/paramount-ends-4-year-attempt-to-turn-frank-herberts-dune-into-film-franchise/] via io9 [http://io9.com/#!5784749/paramount-gives-up-on-the-dune-remake]

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Dune is so heavily packed with philosophy that only the first book would be possible to film really. And if the old Dune movie is any indication, even that would be difficult.

The phrasing 'I know what I want to do with the "franchise"' tells me it may be better off where it is. Dune, to me, is a 'franchise' in the same way Lord of the Rings is a 'franchise'. As opposed to a lot of other works, there's very little you can add or subtract without making it into something else entirely, at which point you might as well name it something else.

And while on the subject, if someone could drop a gluebomb on Brian Herbert's house I'd be much obliged.

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
YAAAYY!

The only Dune movie that should ever be made can never be made because it's too insane and most of the people involved are dead.

http://www.duneinfo.com/unseen/jodorowsky.asp

It sounds like a movie goers wet dream. If you can you should check out the stories behind this overblown non-masterpiece. It's like the Rolling Stones teaming up with Caligula and the Marquius De Sade to write an Album from the future

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
The Syfy series was quite good and is worth digging up, and I also enjoyed the original. A story about a precious resource on a desert world protected by religious fanatics and fought over by great powers seems as timely as ever.

gellert1984

Apr 16, 2009
I preferred the movie to the mini-series.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
I, for one, am extremely happy that this project fell through. I grew up with Lynch's Dune, I loved the miniseries (particularly Children of Dune), but enough. No film can ever come close to the scope of the books, and they should learn to let it rest. We've had Lynch's version, we've had Scyfy's, but no more.
Maker knows I've made something of a religion from my love for the Dune universe. My first username was Siona, I read all six books ten times, I've made entire notebooks with quotes I've taken from the books. But I don't want to see another movie.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
I fucking loved Dune. It turned out to be such a great book. I havent read the other installments in the series, but I definitely will in the future. Id love to see a great dune movie come out. Give it to Peter jackson to work on after the hobbit.

Saint Anaeis

Mar 24, 2011
I pretty much agree with everyone here. Books = Amazing, original and sci fi moves = Great. reboot = umm no, but thanks anyway. LONG LIVE DUKE LETO!!!

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
A reboot while an interesting idea could possibly do more damage than good to the series if it isn't done right. I'm kinda on the fence about this.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Beer is the mind-killer.
Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my beer.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

The Youth Counselor

Sep 20, 2008
I've got a friend who is huge on the books. He hated the David Lynch movie, because of terrible special effects and supposedly they whitewashed the roles of characters who were explicitly described as brown or black.

He was hoping a reboot would correct the sins of the past, I hate to break it to him.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Nightfalke said:
Beer is the mind-killer.
Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my beer.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the beer has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Sigh... I miss Goats. Oh well, at least Rosenberg is working on Scenes From A Multiverse.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
gellert1984 said:
I preferred the movie to the mini-series.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
Absolutely agreed. I was very excited about the mini-series when it was announced, but when they turned Paul into a whiny Luke Skywalker-like *****, that was too much for me.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
Dectilon said:
Dune is so heavily packed with philosophy that only the first book would be possible to film really.
None of the later books is close to the quality of the first, so those aren't worth filming anyway.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010

Did anybody honestly give two shits about this project or think it was worth the effort?

It's already been adapted twice into films (well, one film and a mini series which I actually own both of). If you want the book you can go read that, the film would be utterly pointless.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me to rewatch the two mini series, only watched them once a few years ago when I bought them. I've still been meaning to read the first 4 books since I picked them up cheap aaaages ago.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Why does EVERYTHING have to be "rebooted" these days? Fuck you Hollywood, make up original stories again and stop trying to destroy my childhood.