Valve Offers TF2 Hats for Japan Disaster Relief

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Valve Offers TF2 Hats for Japan Disaster Relief

Valve is offering three very limited-edition Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300984197&sr=8-1] hats to raise money for the American Red Cross Japan disaster relief fund.

It's unusual to see a "serious" update on the Team Fortress 2 blog [http://tf2.com/post.php?id=5170&p=1], but the situation in Japan is no joking matter. So for once, Valve gets right to the point: three new TF2 hats, available for a very limited time, with all proceeds going to disaster relief in Japan.

First up is the "Humanitarian's Hachimaki," available through the Mann Co. Store for $7.99; next is the "Benefactor's Kanmuri," selling for $19.99; and finally, the big daddy, the "Magnanimous Monarch," going for a whopping $99.99. They'll be available only until April 6 and while they can be equipped by any class, they cannot be traded or used for crafting.

They may not be the cheapest hats you'll ever buy but they support a very worthwhile cause. Every penny of every sale, minus applicable taxes, will go directly to the American Red Cross fund for disaster relief in Japan. For those who'd prefer to donate directly to the Red Cross, Valve also provides a direct link to the Japan Earthquake and Pacific Tsunami donation website [https://american.redcross.org/site/Donation2?5052.donation=form1&df_id=5052&idb=0].

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Have never payed for Team Fortress 2 items, might just do so now.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
Awesome, I've been really impressed at all the people helping out the cause. I donated money via the PSN network to the Red Cross, I advise others to do the same thing if they're on there.

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
Battlefield heroes have had the same kind of campaign running for a ... well since 2 days after the tsunami hit. This seems like copy-campaigning...

May 25, 2010
It's nice to see services like this using their position to help Japan. I already donated 20? through PSN and I hope Steam Users will do the same by buying these, frankly, awesome hats.

Japan, we're with you.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
If I had the PC version, I would buy these even if I didn't wear them.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Valve has the personality of Santa as a company.
EDIT: Wait, PSN is having a charity too? Shame on you, Xbox Live. Shame on you...

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Must resist... possible unintentional... flaming comment...

Its very great for them to do this but..... NO! This is for charity!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Rarhnor said:
Battlefield heroes have had the same kind of campaign running for a ... well since 2 days after the tsunami hit. This seems like copy-campaigning...
And 1000s of charities and companies have been doing the same thing for different disasters and causes for years.

OT: Hats off to th-

HankMan said:
Hats off to them.
Oh, nevermind!

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Rarhnor said:
Yeah, how dare they..

OT: This is a highly commendable idea. I'll find some other way to donate, though, as I don't play Team Fortress 2.
Is it just me, or has the gaming industry gotten behind this cause in a bigger way than anything since Child's Play?

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
Would love to donate more to Japan but alas, I'm to poor, once will have to do for the moment.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
When I read the title, I first thought they were going to ship hats out to Japan.

[small]Many years ago, an Australian show gave shirts with the show's name on them to a refugee centre.

It was a travel show called "Getaway".[/small]

Rarhnor

Jun 2, 2010
similar.squirrel said:
Rarhnor said:
Yeah, how dare they..
Hey! I'm not complaining at all. The more money people can raise the better, I just wanted to throw it out there, so people don't get all mushy mushy over valve doing something great, like they're the only ones. Battlefield Heroes wasn't even the first...

Thank you for giving me a chance to clear it up.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
More power to them. Also, I like how they all correspond to their place in ancient Japanese society (the $99 one worn by the Soldier was a headdress worn by the Emperor, etc etc) really shows that they've done their homework.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
A nice initiative from Valve indeed..

Though i guess this is the easiest and best form of PR, it don't cost them anything, and all proceeds given to Japan has their name on it..

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Rarhnor said:
does it really matter? the money is going to a good cause so why should we care that someone's got a similar donation incentive running?