Ubisoft Explains Why It's All-In with the 3DS

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Ubisoft Explains Why It's All-In with the 3DS

With four launch titles for Nintendo's newest handheld and more in the development pipe, Ubisoft is all up in that tasty 3DS action.

The French developer Ubisoft launch titles for Nintendo's 3DS handheld are Rayman 3D, Asphalt, Splinter Cell and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars and there is Rabbids and Combat of Giants: Dinosaur 3D coming out next week as well as Driver: Renegade and James Noir's Hollywood Crimes dropping in just a few months. Ubisoft has always has a good relationship with Nintendo, but Murray Pannell, Ubisoft's UK marketing director, explains why a third party publisher would support an untested new system so readily. The short answer: to make as much money as possible.

"Ubisoft has historically had a very good relationship with Nintendo and it's fair to say that as a third party publisher we've seen great success on both the Wii and DS platforms in recent years," Pannell said. "We believe that a strong commitment to new platform launches puts Ubisoft in an advantageous position, not just in terms of immediate sales potential, but also in terms of creating longer-term standout of our games in consumers' minds."

What about the risks of spending so much time developing games for a system with untested technology like the 3DS? "I firmly believe that the benefits of having a broad range of good quality titles far outweigh any risks. We fully expect Nintendo to do a great job in creating demand for their new hardware platform, across a wide range of audiences, so catering for this demand makes good business sense to us."

Nintendo software seems to outsell third party games on their own systems nearly three to one. Did Ubisoft consider that? "There is always an expectation that first party will spend large," Pannell said. "But in the case of 3DS I genuinely believe that Nintendo will be focusing on ensuring that the overall 3DS platform is a success."

What do you think? When I first beheld the 3DS in all its glory at last year's E3, I thought it was going to be a first day purchase for me but the high pricepoint and lack of decent launch titles has given me pause. Is Ubisoft blowing its load too early on trying to release nearly 7 games in the handheld's first three months on the market? Would it have been better to wait until its developers had more experience making games that best use the 3D capability?

Soruce: MCVUK [http://www.mcvuk.com/features/901/INTERVIEW-Murray-Pannell]

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
In Rayman 3D's case, I'm pretty sure it's just an apology for Rayman DS.

P.S. Thanks

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:
What do you think? When I first beheld the 3DS in all its glory at last year's E3, I thought it was going to be a first day purchase for me but the high pricepoint and lack of decent launch titles has given me pause. Is Ubisoft blowing its load too early on trying to release nearly 7 games in the handheld's first three months on the market? Would it have been better to wait until its developers had more experience making games that best use the 3D capability?
I think Ubisoft is doing what they always do: shoving as many games out as they can regardless of quality. And I wouldn't worry too much about if they should have waited a little while before putting out so many 3DS games. They're mostly shoving ports out right now, so there was no way they were going to be super awesome "This game is why you should own a 3DS" type of titles anyway. At best they will be "If you have a 3DS already, you might want to pick this up."

Raiyan 1.0 said:
They have Pokemon in 3D.

'Nuff said.

They do, right?
Nope, not yet.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I cant remember the last system that had a strong launch library but at least nintendo is pretty dedicated to backwards compatibility with the last gen systems they make unlike everyone else

yes yes I know that the 360 and ps3 could play games from the xbox and ps2 but one only got a few titles working and the other would only work on the expensive model and as I understand they didnt work that great and the new version tosses it entirely

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I think the real reason why Ubisoft is beating Nintendo to a saturation bombing on the 3DS is so they can experiment with thier old franchises to see what still has a future.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Is Ubisoft blowing its load too early on trying to release nearly 7 games in the handheld's first three months on the market?
Uh... I.... well..... not sure how to respond to that question... but... erm... I'm buying the 3ds on launch day because I've never had a DS and with backwards compatibility it technically has the largest number of launch games ever. Amiright?

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
True Nero said:
im getting mine first thing on sunday.

DEAR GOD, MAKE TIME GO FASTER!!
I'm with you! Every moment feels like a century! I WANT MY 3DS!

Raiyan 1.0 said:
They have Pokemon in 3D.

'Nuff said.

They do, right?
Apparently Gen5 pokemon will be fully compatable with the 3D capabilities of the 3DS.

Quesa

Jul 8, 2009
Needs moar laser tag.

Seriously, think about it, a 3D game in the real world, that's like.. 9Ds yo.

linwolf

Jan 9, 2010
I hope the 3DS fails, why I don't want 3D in my games and if the 3DS sells well that could become the norm.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
It's smart for Ubisoft to be there with some games now, as no doubt many people have pre-ordered and will impulse-buy that new fancy shmancy 3DS and will want more to play on it than Pictochat, or whatever the new standard is. Of course, Ubisoft's handheld offerings will likely be lackluster at best, so maybe it's smart of them to get them out now. Remember Sprung, on the orignal DS? I sure the hell don't. It took me fifteen minutes poking around Amazon until I could even remember what it was called. But I bought it for my shiny new silver DS, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

linwolf said:
I hope the 3DS fails, why I don't want 3D in my games and if the 3DS sells well that could become the norm.
Obvious response, but you do know that you can turn off the 3D in any 3DS game, right? It's completely optional.

EDIT: By the way, I just looked a little closer at the box, and you know who made Sprung? Why, Ubisoft, of course!

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Ubisoft has always put a ton of shovelware onto the DS. It is mostly stuff for kids that parents will fork over money for because it cheaper than most games, the imagine, style lab stuff, petz, ect. Some of it is pretty popular and rest are bad handheld versions of their more popular IPs.

They have 15 pages of DS games on their website and even more DSi downloads.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I think Ubisoft is delusional if they think nintendo cares at all about 3rd party devs. Ninty knows first party games drive hardware sales.

Ubi is riding on being basically the only games available at the launch of a new system when people are excited and not really watching their spending.

That said ubisoft games are among the only ones that seem to properly use nintendo's wacky motion controls for the wii. Hopefully they will put as much thought into their 3ds titles as well and tide people over until the first party games come out.

AroLombardi

Apr 16, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
They have Pokemon in 3D.

'Nuff said.

They do, right?
If it's gonna have a 6th gen I'm done. I've been VERY optimistic about Pokemon, and have come to enjoy Black & White. But no further.

And I am not a "Original 150" person, because that's just ridiculous.

gring

Sep 14, 2010
holy crap, look at all the ubi games!

oh wait... they all look horrible.

seriously, this article made me realize that out of all the 3ds games I preordered, none of them are ubi games.

"I firmly believe that the benefits of having a broad range of good quality titles far outweigh any risks." -ubisoft

lol @ this. let me translate... "because we cant make anything good were just going to make LOTS of mediocre games"

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
I'm afraid for the majority, the success of a system is measured by its support. The psp never did so good primarily (imo) bc of such poor support. when a system only has 3 good titles and a bunch of ports it takes a mad man to actually invest in it.