Ubisoft Explains Why It's All-In with the 3DS

Jacob.pederson

Jul 25, 2006
I honestly don't get the price thing . . . the US is getting a 3DS launch at roughly $100 less than other markets. We should be dancing in the streets about the price.

Deviluk

Jul 1, 2009
If they have 7 titles right in there at launch, when its still a novelty, they will make a lot of low risk cash. I love it how publishers always say "Not just to make a ton of money but...

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Covarr said:
In Rayman 3D's case, I'm pretty sure it's just an apology for Rayman DS.

P.S. Thanks
Ha, yeah its the one game atm that draws me to the handheld, even if Ive played it countless times on the pc.

bismarck55

Mar 1, 2010
I don't get the hand-wringing over the price. Seriously it's 250 (in Canada), it would have to be at least 399 before I considered not purchasing a 3DS based on price. I don't even care about 3D either, it's just that Nintendo handhelds are just that awesome.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
They have Pokemon in 3D.

'Nuff said.

They do, right?
Not yet, but in a year or so when the next generation of Pokemon comes they will.

linwolf said:
I hope the 3DS fails, why I don't want 3D in my games and if the 3DS sells well that could become the norm.
The 3D can be turned off you know and it probably will be in future games too. There are actually quite a few games for the PC that supports 3D already and they play just as well without it.

I bought the 3DS on launch date (yesterday) mainly because It's one of those rare occasions we get something before USA and I didn't even want it until there were some good games for it. Oh well, I did get to gloat and piss people off on GameFaqs... all those over there seem to think that everything that is released in USA is out all over the world... annoys me enough to buy it out of spite.

Vohn_exel

Residential Idiot
Oct 24, 2008
Heh, "untested." It's just a DS with extra features and more power! That's like making a car called the "Ferrari go" that's just a Ferrari with more horsepower and Gatling guns attached and calling it an untested vehicle.

bmart008

Sep 20, 2009
I think it's a good idea to get in early with new hardware, because you have a larger chance to reach the early adopters, and if you make a game that they are really into you could launch yourself a new franchise with new innovative gameplay, that can from humble beginnings become a powerhouse in the gaming industry

like ASSASSIN'S CREED MAYBE! HMMM????

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
well I bought mine at a midnight launch party at gamestop last night/this morning? anyway the lack of launch titles makes making games early on a success. People will be craving more titles than just three versions of nintendogs and a couple of fighting games which would at least make them sell better than if the 3ds launched with say zelda, mario, and resident evil like they should have.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
"Blowing its load to early"

Ew...

That is a really terrible analogy for putting too much hope in a system. :{P

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
BrunDeign said:
"Blowing its load to early"

Ew...

That is a really terrible analogy for putting too much hope in a system. :{P
And yet it's a really good one for throwing out product at the first glimpse of something sexy. :)

Of course taking risks as a third party is the only way to build a market into more than first party masturbation.
If more devs would take the early risks on systems we might have had less failed consoles in gamings history - or maybe more as the weak systems would get shown up pretty rapidly.
So I say "good on Ubisoft" even if they are generally acting like shits these days.

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
I'm still waiting for information on Assassin's Creed: Lost Legacy, Ubi. You haven't said a peep since the last E3!