Machinarium Studio "Not Interested" in Microsoft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Machinarium Studio "Not Interested" in Microsoft

Amanita Design says it's no longer interested in dealing with Microsoft after the software giant refused to publish the award-winning adventure Machinarium [http://www.amazon.com/machinarium-PC-UK/dp/B00318COS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1301327613&sr=8-1] on Xbox Live Arcade because it wasn't an exclusive.

Getting on Xbox Live is kind of a priority for most small, indie studios, so it's unusual when one of them goes in the opposite direction and tells Microsoft to get bent. That's pretty much what Czech-based studio Amanita Design did, though, after Microsoft apparently turned down its offer to publish Machinarium on Xbox Live Arcade.

"We were already refused by Microsoft to bring the game to Xbox," Amanita founder and designer Jakub Dvorský told CasualGaming.biz [http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/30958/Machinarium-coming-to-PS3-and-tablets-this-year]. "They weren't interested because the game was already released for Mac and Windows, and Microsoft demanded it as part of an exclusivity deal."

So that's that, as far as Dvorský is concerned. "We're not interested in Microsoft anymore," he said.

XBLA may be out but Dvorský said PlayStation 3 and tablet versions of Machinarium are slated to come out later this year. The studio's focus will remain on the PC, however. "It's much easier if you create a game for PC and Mac," he explained. "Bringing it to consoles is a lot of hard work and a lot of hassle with companies."

Amanita's maintained a bit of a low profile since the 2009 release of the stylish Machinarium but revealed over the weekend [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108777-Machinarium-Dev-Keeps-Art-Games-Flowing-With-Three-New-Titles] that it has three new games in the pipe, including a third Samorost title.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll get the PS3 version, sure.

Wait? Didn't I get this in the HIB, too?

I never did try all of the games in those bundles. Really just played Aquaria...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wonder if ms has something to do with the doublefine games not showing up on the pc

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Straight from the horse's mouth: Microsoft, proprietor of both Windows and Xbox systems, only cares about the Xbox and will request or require publishers to abandon Windows releases to get their games on XBLA.

You go, Amanita Design. I'm with you 100% on this one. Moneygrubbing bas...

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
Worgen said:
I wonder if ms has something to do with the doublefine games not showing up on the pc
Most likely.

That said, good for you Amanita. You got the right attitude.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'll get the PS3 version, sure.

Wait? Didn't I get this in the HIB, too?

I never did try all of the games in those bundles. Really just played Aquaria...
Only if you bought the second bundle. Samorost 2, the previous game by Amanita Design, was in the first bundle.

I heard that Microsoft turned them down because they had a Linux version of their game, and so the developers are now getting round to telling Microsoft to GTFO.

Jul 22, 2009
Worgen said:
Double Fine are big enough to make their own decisions.

Microsoft generally enters into exclusivity details with very small or indie companies as they're not confident on the return, in a fair split between 360, PS3 and Mac, and one platform is getting 33% of the sales.

With very low sales to begin with that'd make even lower profits.

It's not fair and tons of amazing indie titles probably get glazed over because of this but we'll always have our PCs for those hits that Microsoft didn't want to take a gamble on.

(P.S Can someone tell me how I'm supposed to write 10 to the power of minus 5 in the captcha? Fo' srs)

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Serious respect for them now, also machinarium was excellent (yay HIB)

More indie devs should be doing this, until microsoft have to accept that making everything exclusive isn't the way to go.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Microsoft is pretty much like Hitler when it comes to PC gaming. Money hungry pieces of shit is all they are.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"Getting on Xbox Live is kind of a priority for most small, indie studios, so it's unusual when one of them goes in the opposite direction and tells Microsoft to get bent"

Really? That seems like par for the course, especially as of late.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Good for Amanita!

I'll admit playing Machinarium convinced me that I no longer enjoyed point and click puzzle games but I was still happy to play through it and the music really was great.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Props to Amanita for standing up to the Empire!

Does this mean we can see their games coming to a certain penguin-based operating system in the near future?

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
My respect for Amanita just went up a notch.

lol although, I had never heard of them, nor their game.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Fuck yeah, good for them. Respect +1.

Have I mentioned that I really hate the practice of exclusives?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Stick it to the man!

And let me add my voice to the "Machinarium is awesome" chorus. Fantastic little game and yes, great soundtrack.

I've been thinking recently about importing the boxed version from the UK. Anyone know if it got a retail release in North America too?