Metroid Fans Build Teeny Tribute Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Metroid Fans Build Teeny Tribute Game

Get ready to fall in love with what can only be described as "Chibi-Samus."

Most people think of the Metroid series, "cute" is probably not the first word that pops into their head. When it comes to the tribute game Minitroid however, it's very hard for "cute" not to be the first word you think of, swiftly followed by "wow!" or some other expression of admiration.

Minitroid takes the classic, 2D Metroid games, and shrinks them down to diminutive proportions, but still manages to keep everything thoroughly recognizable. Minitroid's visual style seems to be directly inspired by Super Metroid on the SNES, while the chiptunes soundtrack harkens back to the halcyon days of the NES.

The project - which started life as a way of practicing with the Scirra Construct [http://www.scirra.com/construct/] open-source game construction tools - is the work of a three-man team comprised of programmer Tokinsom, artist Betatronic , and composer Jamie Billings. Best of all, there's a tech demo that you can download [http://metroid-database.com/fanapps.php] and try for yourself, although the team notes that it will only work on a computer running Windows. It can be a little tricky little beast however, and programmer Tokinsom advises would-be players to update their DirectX and graphics card drivers to the latest version.

It's a rather adorable little project, and really does show how much love there is for Metroid out there. Hopefully, the trio will release the finished version of the game relatively soon.

Source: Kotaku [http://www.kotaku.com/#!5788910/you-can-now-play-the-littlest-metroid-game-of-them-all]

Even McNobleface

Apr 5, 2011
In before someome makes an other m jo-- wait nevermind, first comment.

in other news, i felt this was relevant too. http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
get ready for a cease and desist from Nintendo
They'll be lucky if Sakamoto doesn't come to their houses to personally break their kneecaps.

That dude LOATHES the idea of anyone touching Metroid but him.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
get ready for a cease and desist from Nintendo, those lovable scamps.
I was just thinking about that, it's a shame really but looks really fun... And also really well done :D

Korak the Mad

Nov 19, 2010
PrinceofPersia said:
I'd rather play this then Other M any day.
I fully agree. This actually looks like I would really enjoy it, unlike the pile of crap they call Other M.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Samechiel said:
They'll be lucky if Sakamoto doesn't come to their houses to personally break their kneecaps.

Yet he allowed Team Ninja to make Other M. Oh, the delicious irony!

mr_rubino

Sep 19, 2010
buy teh haloz said:
Samechiel said:

If you consider painting the same thing as writing.
The lion's share of the crass misogyny involved was still his.

Feb 13, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Get ready to fall in love with what can only be described as "Chibi-Shamus."
I do not think that word means what you think it means.

Unless Mr Young has something he wishes to tell us.

eva243

Jan 29, 2009
Hay look a real Metroid game unlike some other titles *cough* Other M *cough*

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
You know...I bet half the people here ripping on Other M never even played it.

This is actually quite exciting. Make sure to keep us updated please!

Samechiel

Nov 4, 2009
Yet he allowed Team Ninja to make Other M.
...and fought with them the entire time about how the game should be made.

Hell, he even fought with his non-Team Ninja staff about how the game should be made.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
ikoian said:
Oh nice! A Metriod mod for Cave Story! /trollface
Nice to know I wasn't the only one who got a Cave Story vibe.

buy teh haloz said:
Samechiel said:

More like he made Team Ninja his *****. You know Other M's god-awful mostly-sexist 'had potential but was handled all wrong' story? That was all Sakamoto. Team Ninja just did the gameplay.

Edit;
Wait, actually Sakamoto had the final say in most of the gameplay decisions as well. Never mind.