Discover Duke Nukem's Forgotten Boob-Free Roots

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Discover Duke Nukem's Forgotten Boob-Free Roots

[video=3016]

The first part of a Duke Nukem retrospective reveals the macho character's tame origin.

Many people may not know this, but Duke Nukem wasn't always the strip club-faring, alien testicle-punching macho man he is today. Part one of a Duke Nukem video retrospective called "History of a Legend" delves into the character as he was before Gearbox's upcoming Duke Nukem Forever [http://www.amazon.com/Duke-Nukem-Forever-Pc/dp/B002I0JAJ2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302368871&sr=8-1].

Duke Nukem's first appearance was in the self-titled Duke Nukem, a 2D sidescroller released by Apogee Software (which later became 3D Realms) in 1991. 3D Realms co-founder and CEO Scott Miller says it was a "huge hit," despite sound effects that are maddening today. Duke's goal wasn't to save the world's babes, but to stop the evil Dr. Proton from taking over the world. It looked like this:

[gallery=191]

Would you ever have thought Duke would be caught wearing pink? The series moved a little closer to what it is today with Duke Nukem II in 1993, another sidescroller that introduced aliens called Rigelatins as the main foe. The video reveals that Duke's voice got its start in Duke Nukem II, though Jon St. John didn't become the voice of Duke until Duke Nukem 3D [http://www.3drealms.com/duke3d/index.html].

It's interesting to see how iteration took Duke from a generic character to the icon he is today. Part 2 of the retrospective will likely cover Duke Nukem 3D, where Duke really hit his stride.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
I'm really starting to wonder if the new devs for the game are just trolling us, what with having pushed back the release to summer. This is still vaporware for me until I see it sitting on the shelf at gamestop.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Nostalgiaaaa

I held onto that floppy disk forever in hopes of selling it when DNF came out for big nostalgia bucks. Then my house got flooded and I lost the damn thing.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Of course I've played this.
But was quickly done with the generic play.

Now Duke Nukem 3D was epic ;)
And I got a funny feeling it will stay the best in the series for a looooooooong time (forever?)!

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Yvl9921 said:
Nostalgiaaaa

I held onto that floppy disk forever in hopes of selling it when DNF came out for big nostalgia bucks. Then my house got flooded and I lost the damn thing.
That sucks!
Hope you are back on your feet again (minus one Floppy of course)!

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
I remember playing those back in the day... That day being 4 years ago. Ah, how I love freeware. I always loved Duke 2 the best. Awesome games.

Yvl9921

Our Sweet Prince
Apr 4, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
Yvl9921 said:
Nostalgiaaaa

That sucks!
Hope you are back on your feet again (minus one Floppy of course)!
Lost a lot more than that, and it was a while ago. Thanks for your concern though, complete stranger o.o

Chemical Alia

Feb 1, 2011
I never played Duke Nukem 3d, but I did play the first Duke Nukem as a kid. It reminded me a lot of Commander Keen and Crystal Caves.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
Ah, so it wasn't a fabricated memory, Duke Nukem was a side-scoller once. Always wondered what the "real" name of that game was.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
Hey, hey guys. Just a quick question! Something I honestly find very funny. . When you click on the video on the mainpage. REQUIRES AGE. But when you click on the article featuring the EXACT SAME VIDEO. It doesnt? Now why is this?

wammnebu

Sep 25, 2010
Ohhhh, i remember Duke 2 that was one of the first video games i played, (actually never played Duke 3D) thats still one of my favorite platformers

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I remember that. I also remember that when you got near the end of the first one, mine was all corrupted and nonsensical. But fond fond memories.

PS. They would have added boobs back then if they could display more than 128 colors and pixel art I think. Not that stopped others, haha.

Chemical Alia said:
I never played Duke Nukem 3d, but I did play the first Duke Nukem as a kid. It reminded me a lot of Commander Keen and Crystal Caves.
All those old side scrollers on the PC were awesome. Commander Keen had that cool overworld map like Mario World. Good times indeed.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
wait didn't I just see this vide somewhere else...lol nvm

argh I still need to just finish DN3d