Discover Duke Nukem's Forgotten Boob-Free Roots

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Thanks for the share, guys. Though I still am going nuts here waiting...
Jim Grim said:
Your title makes it sound like Duke was a woman, then got a sex change.
Might explain why s/he's pissed at Dr Proton.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I still play the first duke everyone once in a while. Still a pretty good game by today's "standards."

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I actually remember playing this at a friends house! I loved it then, and probably still will now.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Thanks for posting the video here too... I accidentally put in the wrong birth date in the article so I got locked out...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I didn't think this was "forgotten" I remember downloading the free first chapter off of BBS systems back in the day. I mean sure, it was a couple of decades ago, but that's hardly ancient history in the information age. :p

In general Duke Nukem's hype at the time was the claim that it was a PC action game that was superior to similar offerings on the SNES and Genesis at the time.

Though I suppose maybe they were hoping it would be forgotten, because in the old games Duke clearly states he watches Oprah. :)

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
I loved these games growing up, and they're still what i assoicate the name "Duke Nukem" with. Not the later, ultra masculine 3D FPSes.

ENKC

May 3, 2010
Back in the early-mid 90s, my folks bought a second hand PC that happened to be crammed with shareware games including Duke Nukem 1 and 2. There's some extreme nostalgia associated with those games.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
oh wow this brings back memories of my eight-year old self playing this for hours upon hours on end and running it on DOS! Gotta love that oldschool shareware. I also remember playing Duke Nukem 3D, and how boobs in video games changed the way I looked at the world forever......

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
mr.mystery said:
ive never played a duke game. Are they any fun?
I'd say no they are not.
People like duke nukem for a completely different thing than it was really meant to be.
The difference between doom and duke nukem gameplay wise is that duke nukem had more interaction going on with its levels and also because the multiplayer was boss.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
Oh man, DN 1/2 counts somewhere in my top 10 favourite games from the 90s.

Interesting character, and really good sprawling level design. Both of which were kept in DN3D. As long as neither change, I'm relaly looking forward to DNF. About time something retro came out.

VyperX

Jul 14, 2009
Hah! I mentioned the original Duke Nukem just the other day when someone asked me to describe (the gameplay of) Spelunky. Not many 2D platformers offer you upgrades that change the way you can move.

Still remember the game fondly, always had a blast with the Duke. :)