Nintendo Unveils Bonus Content Added to Ocarina of Time 3D

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Unveils Bonus Content Added to Ocarina of Time 3D

The brand new features coming to Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D have been revealed.

The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108453-Nintendo-Boss-Says-3DS-Ocarina-of-Time-Boasts-Mystery-Improvements], the game will feature a boss rush mode and a new hint system.

The Master Quest is basically a remixed version of Ocarina of Time. Enemies are more difficult, puzzles have been altered, items are in different locations, and the entire world has been mirrored so that areas that were once to the west are now to the east. Anyone that played the original title, but not the Master Quest, will have a somewhat new experience with it.

The boss rush mode is called Boss Challenge. After players reach a "certain point" in Ocarina of Time 3D, they can participate in the Boss Challenge, which lets them go back and face previously defeated bosses. Those that want to test their skill can even face every boss one after the other in a continuous battle. I assume there's some kind of reward system in place for the Boss Challenge, but if so it wasn't revealed.

The Nintendo press release also says that Ocarina of Time 3D will include "bite-sized videos" that give hints on how to solve the game's puzzles. This is similar to New Super Mario Bros. [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B002BRZ9G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303232625&sr=8-2]'s Super Guide, which showed players how to complete levels they were stuck on, and should make the game easier for anyone that needs a helping hand.

With all of these extras, upgraded graphics [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109315-Link-Overflows-With-Cuteness-in-Ocarina-of-Time-3D-Screenshots], new touchscreen and gyroscope controls, and the bonus of no-glasses 3D, Ocarina of Time 3D is being set up as a huge 3DS title for Nintendo. It'll be surprising if the game doesn't become a big hit.

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D will be available in North America on June 19, in Europe on June 17, and in Japan on June 16.

Vivendel

Oct 12, 2009
*sigh

How many times will I buy this game. I have to say that my overall reaction to the 3DS is a bit "meh". But that still won't change the fact that I'm eager as a small child to lay my filthy paws on a shiny, graphically revamped 3D-version of one of my all time favorite games.

Now if only they'll give us Majora's Mask as well. (And for Pete's sake let us finally restore the Zora Kingdom to it's proper thawed state upon completing the water temple)

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I have been waiting for this time to come. There will be no future for me... not away from my 3DS, anyway.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
will1182 said:
The only new (as in, not previously released) thing here of any value is Boss Challenge. The game will be good regardless, but the amount of extras is a little underwhelming, especially considering it's been 12 years.

For someone that's played the original and Master Quest, there's nothing here for them except updated graphics.
Sony is re-releasing an entire line of games for the Ps3 with the sole purpose of updating graphics. Must stand for something.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
will1182 said:
The only new (as in, not previously released) thing here of any value is Boss Challenge. The game will be good regardless, but the amount of extras is a little underwhelming, especially considering it's been 12 years.

For someone that's played the original and Master Quest, there's nothing here for them except updated graphics.
Yeah, I agree. And boss challenge and new graphics aren't that big a deal for me. I shall stick with my copy of the Wind Waker pre-order disc that was mentioned in the article.

Mister Benoit said:
Sony is re-releasing an entire line of games for the Ps3 with the sole purpose of updating graphics. Must stand for something.
Well since you mentioned those, I haven't cared for any of them yet either. Hell, if you already own the games in those collections, Sony has offered even less reason to upgrade than Nintendo. All they did was press the upscale button (and they didn't even hit it for everything, most of the cutscenes in God of War revert back to blurry PS2 resolution; it's very jarring) and put in trophies. Sony doesn't even get to say "THIS IS PORTABLE NOW!" like Nintendo can with OoT 3D

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
I can fight Twinrova as many times I want to over and over again?! TAKE MY MONEY!!

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
ah...more stuff besides 3D that OoT doesnt need. wonderful.

considering i already have the original on the N64 (yes it still works, made of nintendium after all), in the windwaker double-pack, and on the wii....yeah, updated graphics aint enough. i can only buy the same game so many times nintendo, it isnt enough that every zelda iteration IS basically the same game?

aesondaandryk

Oct 13, 2009
Frotality said:
ah...more stuff besides 3D that OoT doesnt need. wonderful.

considering i already have the original on the N64 (yes it still works, made of nintendium after all), in the windwaker double-pack, and on the wii....yeah, updated graphics aint enough. i can only buy the same game so many times nintendo, it isnt enough that every zelda iteration IS basically the same game?
Cry all you like, they don't need your money as there are plenty of other people who will purchase the game.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
A new boss rush mode, seriously Nintendo? What about a new 3D dungeon, or the running man mystery being solved.

Lazy Nintendo is Lazy.

Plus, i bet they still won't put in the original fire temple music, or the red Ganondolf blood from the early gold cartridge versions of the game.

This isn't worth buying a 3DS over, that's for sure. The graphics on the original n64 version is just fine for me.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I only ask one thing: 3DS games that utilize the gyroscope should AUTOMATICALLY flip to 2D because the 3D viewing sweet spot is, without hyperbole, no bigger than the head of a pin.

Until the 3DS Prime or whatever improves the viewing range, you want to move that thing as little as possible. Personally I don't even know if the technology involved can do this, but my idea of a fix is using that inner camera to quietly figure out and track where your eyes are and make the screen adapt.

dkyros

Dec 11, 2008
looks awesome, I regret that I will not be buying one now. Maybe once they third or 4th iteration is out i will get one. (1st gen is usually crap, 2nd gen always makes viewing better, 3rd gen adds functionality, and 4th gen improves viewing again) Its like a formula for Nintendo handheld.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
The Nintendo press release also says that Ocarina of Time 3D will include "bite-sized videos" that give hints on how to solve the game's puzzles. This is similar to New Super Mario Bros. [http://www.amazon.com/New-Super-Mario-Bros-Wii-Nintendo/dp/B002BRZ9G0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1303232625&sr=8-2]'s Super Guide, which showed players how to complete levels they were stuck on, and should make the game easier for anyone that needs a helping hand.
Hopefully, these videos will be narrated by Navi.

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
Awexsome said:
I can fight Twinrova as many times I want to over and over again?! TAKE MY MONEY!!
This, Bongo Bongo and Phantom Ganon. Holy crap I'm so getting this in the day it's released.

WolfEdge

Oct 22, 2008
Rect Pola said:
Until the 3DS Prime or whatever improves the viewing range, you want to move that thing as little as possible. Personally I don't even know if the technology involved can do this, but my idea of a fix is using that inner camera to quietly figure out and track where your eyes are and make the screen adapt.
Now there's an interesting idea. I don't know if the cameras could keep track of EYE movements, but it seems like they could handle very basic head silhouettes.