Two Big Names Fill Unassuming Roles in Dark Knight Rises

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Two Big Names Fill Unassuming Roles in Dark Knight Rises

Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard's roles in Dark Knight Rises have been announced, but they aren't anywhere near as exciting as rumors made them out to be.

Two big rumors regarding the cast of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight Rises have just been shot in the foot. Warner Bros. Pictures has officially announced the roles that Inception [http://www.amazon.com/Inception-Two-Disc-Blu-ray-Leonardo-DiCaprio/dp/B002ZG981E]'s Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Marion Cotillard will play in the film, but they're brand new characters created for Rises and not known villains or heroes from the Batman comic books.

Gordon-Levitt was Batman: The Long Halloween [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108627-Rumor-Gordon-Levitt-Takes-Role-of-Holiday-Killer-in-Dark-Knight-Rises] that takes out other mob targets as the "Holiday Killer." He'll actually be playing John Blake, described as a "Gotham City beat cop assigned to special duty under the command of Commissioner Gordon."

Rumors were flying around Marion Cotillard saying she might play Talia al Ghul, the daughter of international terrorist R'as al Ghul and a significant character from the Batman comic books. Ra's al Ghul was a key figure in Nolan's confirmed [http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Begins-Blu-ray-Christian-Bale/dp/B000PC6A3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1303266883&sr=8-1] to be playing young Ra's al Ghul in Rises, further fueling speculation for Cotillard's role. However, she'll actually play Miranda Tate, a "Wayne Enterprises board member eager to help a still-grieving Bruce Wayne resume his father's philanthropic endeavors for Gotham."

Okay, then. Of course, these names actually mean nothing for the significances of Cotillard and Gordon-Levitt's parts in the film, as they could have alter-egos that become more than they initially appear. R'as al Ghul was very secretive about his true identity, so Cotillard could still play Talia al Ghul as some sort of sleeper, right? I'm thinking that eventually we'll just have to come to terms with the fact that Nolan is going to ruin all of our fun until Dark Knight Rises actually comes out.

Dark Knight Rises is scheduled to hit theaters on July 20, 2012.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I love Marion Cotillard. Shame that she isn't playing Talia, because she could definitely pull it off.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I'm actually glad they're original characters; with the speculated roster of villains, things would have gotten more than a little crowded. Bane would not have fit in at all, at any rate.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Few. Thanks Nolan, I was almost getting interested for a moment.

If I was Nolan I'd just make an absolute travesty on purpose. Maybe he know that he can't match Dark Knight, so he'll just make this a bomb to make Dark Knight appear even better.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
No, Joseph Gorden-Levitt should be either The Riddler, or no one. I know that the villains list is already too long, with Bane, Selina Kyle, and a young R'as al Ghul, but I feel that the story is just too perfect for The Riddler not to be in this.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Well, this means that they main baddy hasn't been announced yet.

Who knows, they could bring in the Riddler after all (unless they have announced the bad guy and I just forgot about it?)

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, didn't expect that one. So, we only have Bane as a confirmed villain (not counting Selina since they've never identified her as "Catwoman").

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Long story short. This will be a very interesting development cycle. Nolan has blown us away with the last two Batman films and has earned the trust of we geeks and nerds everywhere. I doubt there are many that are not excited for this film. We can expect plenty of speculation on what the final product will be. My biggest fear is that our expectations may be too high. It will be difficult to top The Dark Knight. Still, Nolan might just do it.

Still, considering the "realistic" tone of the previous movies, I find it surprising that Bane will be in this one. I'm really curious as to how he will be used. Super human serum? Mechanical enhancements? Complete bad-ass assassin? Can't be as bad as they did in Batman and Robin... Right?

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
I'm assuming it will be some sort of steroid-induced thing with Bane if it goes for more realistic. Some super buff guy goes over the edge with the 'roids and becomes even bigger kind of thing. And just happens to be good at killing people. That's as far as my "staying in realism" thinking takes me.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
I love Marion Cotillard. Shame that she isn't playing Talia, because she could definitely pull it off.
The "sleeper agent" scenario is probably much more likely than is hinted at in the article. Simply being on the board and promoting the philanthropic activities of the Bruce Wane would make her a possible romantic subject (especially since he's probably still rebounding from Rachel Dawe's death in The Dark Knight). Talia has almost always been used as a romantic interest, and this may be the way she becomes involved with him.

Plus, we already know that Selina Kyle (a.k.a. Catwoman and Bruce's other common romantic entanglement) is going to be a character, so this may be one of the conflicts in the story to come.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
TheKruzdawg said:
I'm assuming it will be some sort of steroid-induced thing with Bane if it goes for more realistic. Some super buff guy goes over the edge with the 'roids and becomes even bigger kind of thing. And just happens to be good at killing people. That's as far as my "staying in realism" thinking takes me.
Maybe some magic PCP?

Tulks

Dec 30, 2010
GrimTuesday said:
No, Joseph Gorden-Levitt should be either The Riddler, or no one. I know that the villains list is already too long, with Bane, Selina Kyle, and a young R'as al Ghul, but I feel that the story is just too perfect for The Riddler not to be in this.
The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to comtemplate!

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
er...I'll just try not to read anything about the dark knight uh rises until the movie comes out

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
Tulks said:
GrimTuesday said:
The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to comtemplate!
I think that it should be just the Riddler, and The Riddler alone. I've always wanted them to somewhat redo his back story so he is a FBI profiler brought in to help the Gothem City Police hunt Batman. He then becomes obsessed not just with capturing Batman, but completely trouncing him in a battle of wits, which is a lot of what is The Riddler's motivation in the comics.

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Man, I hope they don't mess up concerning Banes character, I watched, I think Batman & Robin, where it was Poison Ivy and Bane and they did a horrible horrible Bane, he was subserviant and mindless and a slave. I thought that was the real Bane. I then read Knightfall, gobsmacked, watched the film again and facepalmed so much because whoever wrote that script had no idea... no idea of who Bane is. I just hope Nolan can do Bane justice, because he is argueably the most dangerous villain of Batman, and he deserves that credit.