Massachusetts Town Ponders End to Public Videogame Ban

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Massachusetts Town Ponders End to Public Videogame Ban

Voters in the town of Marshfield, Massachusetts, will soon decide whether to cut loose a 30-year-old ban on videogames in public places.

Back in 1982, two years before Kevin Bacon set the citizens of Beaumont on the path to revolution with his exhortation to kick off their Sunday shoes, the citizens of Marshfield, Massachusetts, decided to protect their own young'uns from the evils of videogames by banishing them from all corners of the public realm. After the Supreme Court of the United States dashed the hopes of gaming supporters when it refused to hear the case, all the town's Donkey Kong, Pac-Man and Tron machines were unplugged and wheeled away. So it has remained to this very day.

But now lifelong resident George Mallet is circulating a petition asking that the ban be overturned at the next annual Town Meeting. Mallet said a lot of people don't even know that public videogames are illegal and he's hopeful that anti-gaming hysteria has subsided enough to allow the restriction to be lifted. Yet amazingly, the "bring back gaming" movement might be in for a fight.

A similar motion to repeal the law was brought before the 1994 Town Meeting and was shot down in flames. Chairwomen Faith Jean warned at the time that allowing videogames in public places would attract other "smut" to the town, a sentiment echoed by resident Tom Jackson, who "guaranteed" that the presence of arcade machines would "open the door to adult entertainment." Police Chief William P. Sullivan Jr., speaking as an expert in the field of law enforcement, claimed that publicly-available videogames "put children at risk to the negative aspects of life."

Mallet said he's not seeing the same level of resistance to the idea this time around, noting that only one person, a waitress who doesn't want to have to deal with kids while she's trying to work, has thus far refused to sign his petition. "I know people really care about taxes and schools," he said. "But it's a ridiculous law - why not just get rid of it?"

But at least one opponent of the first effort to overturn the ban is still holding her ground. "It would definitely change the type of entertainment we offer," Jean said, explaining her continued opposition to public games. "We're a coastal town. Now are we an amusement coastal town or are we fishing and swimming and sailing?"

Amazingly, despite the ban Marshfield allows electronic gambling machines like Keno in bars, restaurants and even some stores.

Sources: GamePolitics [http://www.wickedlocal.com/marshfield/features/x528722228/Marshfield-to-consider-return-of-Pac-Man-other-video-games#axzz1KYoooFo7]

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Arcades do tend to attract seedy types. I'm not sure about the US, but a lot of arcades in Europe house one-armed bandits as well as more conventional games, which draws scumbags like a magnet.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
*sigh*
Oh people... Do you really have to act this way?

And what's wrong with Adult entertainment?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Chairwomen Faith Jean warned at the time that allowing videogames in public places would attract other "smut" to the town, a sentiment echoed by resident Tom Jackson, who "guaranteed" that the presence of arcade machines would "open the door to adult entertainment."
Anyone else picturing this place as some kind of Royston Vasey/Innsmouth.. place?

Actual

Jun 24, 2008
I can understand why a coastal tourist town would want to keep this law. People go there for a particular experience and if someone is hoping to open a few video arcades it will completely change the feel of the town. Have you seen Blackpool (UK)? It's almost nothing but arcades on the waterfront and it's massively seedy.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Huh. Well remind me not to visit Marshfield, Massachusetts anytime in the near future.

Although it might be kinda fun to troll them and whip out my DS at their library or something. Then just leave town after being a pain in their side for a while if they actually DO try to enforce it. I mean... I bet most of their police force don't even know about the law.

rickynumber24

Feb 25, 2011
The Lost Big Boss said:
Wow, I live in Mass and this is just retarded.

Maybe its for the greater good.

/chants
The Greater Good.
Yeah, we're still a bunch of right Puritains, aren't we? :p
I'm still amused that "Banned in Boston" and Massachusetts Liberals are from the same state, and, really, the same city. (On the other hand, I only left because of college and job offer.)

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Actual said:
I can understand why a coastal tourist town would want to keep this law. People go there for a particular experience and if someone is hoping to open a few video arcades it will completely change the feel of the town. Have you seen Blackpool (UK)? It's almost nothing but arcades on the waterfront and it's massively seedy.
Different countries. They don't have promenades the way the UK does, and besides, of all the things wrong, seedy, and tacky about Blackpool, I bet computergames don't even register on the poll.

OT: This is kinda interesting, fun to see remnants of recent history being so baffling. Makes you realise how far we've come along, even since the 80's

Also... it'd be nice to see more arcades out and about. I think the manabar has the right idea. I have a shitload of bar management experience, and love games, if anyone can find a UK investor...

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Humm... does this town have a ban on bars/pubs too? those can lead to drinking, and we all know what drinking leads too....

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
FogHornG36 said:
Humm... does this town have a ban on bars/pubs too? those can lead to drinking, and we all know what drinking leads too....
A fun night?

In all seriousness, public gaming ban sounds more like arcade ban. Who goes to arcades in the US anymore? The only arcades I know of are Gamesomething and Dave and Buster, and those are mostly bars/restaurants that happen to have arcade games... which are old.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
FogHornG36 said:
SIN and FORNICATION!!!! XD As the puritans, fundamentalists and assorted fruitbaskets would put it.

Yeah, I wonder if this affects the use of DSs and psps.