Massachusetts Town Ponders End to Public Videogame Ban

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
Aren't Arcades a good thing? It means kids are hanging out playing Pac-man rather than drinking or smoking pot, or you know the giant list of stupid crap kids do when bored.

OldAccount

Sep 10, 2010
I have a better idea for this town. We take Jack Thompson, Leland Yee, and Arnold Schwarzenegger then we wall them up in this backward ass town where they can pretend they won their anti-video game crusade and everyone will be much happier.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
If video gambling is OK I don't see how they can have a problem with games.

What is that, they get tax dollars from the video gambling? Where there you go, money fueled hypocrisy.

FistsOfTinsel

Jun 23, 2008
I might almost get riled up over this if public video game arcades even existed in most cities anymore. It may as well be a ban on the construction of hitching posts.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
First its mrs. pacman then its miss jones the history teacher stripping for extra cash.... miss jones is pretty hot tho.

dancinginfernal

Sep 5, 2009
Arcades will open the door for adult entertainment that children could view?

What about the oodles of adult entertainment children could find on their home television just by flipping through channels?

Sarcastic_Applause

Dec 1, 2010
wow, much like others i'm Speechless, although after playing Donkey Kong, Pacman and sonic i did get put into an unusual state of mind: Joy

MetroidNut

Sep 2, 2009
Oh God, the stupid it burns. And in the Glorious People's Republic of Massachusetts, of all places?

Sir Mate

Sep 4, 2009
"Chairwomen Faith Jean warned at the time that allowing videogames in public places would attract other "smut" to the town, a sentiment echoed by resident Tom Jackson, who "guaranteed" that the presence of arcade machines would "open the door to adult entertainment."

Excuse me?
I would kind of understand the 'Videuh gamess r Evulll!' bullshit ,but how exactly arcade machines and "adult entertainment*cough*" are linked?
The highest quality of Fertilizer.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
Hello, I'm from Massachusetts. It's odd to think of something quite so sublimely stupid. Video games encourage procrastination true enough, but smut and "adult entertainment"? It may be a moot point, now that arcades have become a thing of the past, but still. Also, if the town is so concerned with tourism why not allow arcades? Whenever my family goes on vacation and there's an arcade around I usually spend a few bucks there. Not only are the arguments invalid, they're just... stupid (the article is so dumb I can't even think of a witty last word)

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
I wonder if this ban includes portable and cellphone gaming by individuals. Even if they were to drop the ban today, I highly doubt anyone would rush in to set up an Arcade or public gaming.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
BigBoote66 said:
I might almost get riled up over this if public video game arcades even existed in most cities anymore. It may as well be a ban on the construction of hitching posts.
More or less this.

Though the fact they allow gambling machines, but not normal video games irks me a bit.

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
As I was reading this, I did think of something terrifically witty and urbane, however upon the final word, it transpired that the whole thing had turned my brain into such a pile of sludge out of infectious idiocy that I no longer remember and will likely need help getting dressed from here on in.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
I have a sudden urge to metaphorically smack the next person who calls video games "smut."

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Holy shit, Massachusetts! This is China-level madness!

Anyway, isn't this thirty years too late? Arcades are pretty much dinosaurs these days...

SAT4NSLILHELPER said:
I have a better idea for this town. We take Jack Thompson, Leland Yee, and Arnold Schwarzenegger then we wall them up in this backward ass town where they can pretend they won their anti-video game crusade and everyone will be much happier.
While commending you for your excellent idea, I've to say that your avatar makes me feel kinda... uncomfortable. :/