Michael Pachter Apologizes for PSP Go "Ripoff" Comment

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Michael Pachter Apologizes for PSP Go "Ripoff" Comment

Industry analyst Michael Pachter has apologized for accusing PSP Go [http://www.sony.com], calling it a "poor choice of words" and saying he doesn't believe the company is doing anything evil with its pricing strategy.

Pachter had some App Store [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92323]. "They're ripping off the consumer," he said.

But what he meant was something a little different. "I sincerely regret the choice of words in my response to Geoff Keighley's question in last week's Bonus Round, where I said that Sony is 'ripping off' the consumer by pricing the PSP Go at $249.99," he said in comments to IndustryGamer [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/pachters-podium-ps3-price-cut-iphone-3g-s-and-a-sincere-apology]. "I made a poor choice of words, and I do NOT think that Sony is doing anything nefarious in choosing their pricing strategy. The company has the right to price its products at a point that they think is competitive, and has no obligation to sell products at lower than a competitive price."

"They have been subsidizing purchases of the PS3 since launch, to the tune of 22 million sold at a loss of $100 or more apiece (on average), so if they are able to make a profit on the PSP Go, more power to them," he continued. "They are pricing at a point that positions the PSP Go competitively with the iPod Touch, and the PSP Go arguably has much more value than the Apple product. Notwithstanding my view that the price point is too high to generate more than a few million units sold, I really think my comment was unfair."

What I find most interesting about this is that for once, most gamers seemed to agree with Pachter's comments. Sony has the right to price its products however it likes but if the company is serious about making inroads into the handheld market then it needs a more competitive price point. His choice of words could have been better, yes, but I think the underlying sentiment was right on the money.

Cerity

Jun 7, 2009
I work in retail currently and at the prices i pod and DS lite and "i" are selling the only thing keep PS a float are it's movie showing capabilities imo. I am sorry guys, but up selling a PS product is way harder for me than a Nintendo product. At that price for the PSP go I can tell you right now only the hardcore fan boys of the system are going to want one. Don't get me wrong I talk a good game, but price to price the DS is eating PS's hand held systems alive.

h0m1cyde

Jun 2, 2009
Gotta give the guy credit for clarifying himself (without much outside pressure), and trying to avoid any backlash from Sony. It takes a real man to admit when he is wrong.

I, however, do not feel that need and must say that honesty speaks from the heart.

I do agree that it is a rip off. Having owned 3 of my own PSP's (2 died from drops), and purchasing one for my girlfriend, it's fair to say that I love the product and am interested in the new model - BUT I will not be purchasing it at that price point. You want to take away a lot of Nintendo's wind and cut Apple out once and for all? Price this bad boy at $149-159, shoot even $179 and these things will fly off the shelves and give you the edge in portable digital distribution.

People who buy iPhones FOR games are just foolish, and you don't need to compete with Apple or acknowledge them in this arena - YOU ARE SONY!

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
What is the deal with these "apologies"? Since when is he afraid of offending Sony, anyway? According to his analysis, they're selling less product for more money; "rip-off" sounds like an appropriate choice of words to me.

If you have a good reason to say something, then say what you think, and have the courage to stand by it. If it's wrong, then have the grace to admit it, correct yourself and move on. But these "poor choice of words" non-apologies for saying something you believe just smacks of annoying political correctness gone rampant. You're not fooling anyone into thinking you didn't really mean what you said, and it's actually pretty insulting to expect anyone to believe that.

Ok, I just had to get that rant off my chest...

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
CyberKnight said:
What is the deal with these "apologies"? Since when is he afraid of offending Sony, anyway? According to his analysis, they're selling less product for more money; "rip-off" sounds like an appropriate choice of words to me.
That's what I was thinking.

Who wants to bet his boss or 'higher ups' told him to apologize because they didn't want to hurt any relations with Sony? Way to not have a back-bone, Pachter. You said it like it is, and now you're apologizing for it, giving us instead an obviously pre-written and rehearsed response that screams 'I'm just a tool'.

dnadns

Divine Ronin
Jan 20, 2009
Baby Tea said:
CyberKnight said:
That's what I was thinking.

Who wants to bet his boss or 'higher ups' told him to apologize because they didn't want to hurt any relations with Sony? Way to not have a back-bone, Pachter. You said it like it is, and now you're apologizing for it, giving us instead an obviously pre-written and rehearsed response that screams 'I'm just a tool'.
Might be because quite a few people assume that he loathes Sony for some reason.
Whenever he comments about Sony (i.e. on the bonus round), it is mostly negative.

The only one I ever saw standing up against his opinions until now was David Jaffe.

Of course, this is all apart from his sometimes strange crystal ball talents.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
Lmao, you just KNOW that Jack Tretton, already angry at the industry confidentiality problem, read Pachters comment and went crazy. Im picturing him driving down to Pachters house with a PSP Go in one hand and a 12 gauge under his drivers seat.

It would definetely explain the apology.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
I think he is really simply apologizing to Sony for his comments being a little mean, not what his comments actually say about the product.

Besides, the price to make Nike shoes, are what, $5? Those damn things sell upwards of $60.

And not many people call that a "rip off." I think Pachter is falling on that same idea. After some aggressive persuasion of course.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
"I'm sorry I used my position as an authority on the videogame industry to give my frank and honest opinion that Sony was acting poorly, and that people agreed with me. I understand that this would hurt Sony, and on the advice of the hired goons they sent around to my house last night, I would like to apologize."

The Shade

Mar 20, 2008
Well, well...

Mr. Pachter has been making quite a name for himself lately. Suspicious.

Aura Guardian

Apr 23, 2008
It is a rip-off. He had no reason to apologize.
Cerity said:
I work in retail currently and at the prices i pod and DS lite and "i" are selling the only thing keep PS a float are it's movie showing capabilities imo. I am sorry guys, but up selling a PS product is way harder for me than a Nintendo product. At that price for the PSP go I can tell you right now only the hardcore fan boys of the system are going to want one. Don't get me wrong I talk a good game, but price to price the DS is eating PS's hand held systems alive.
I have never sold a PSP to anyone. And I am not starting now. The DS and the DSi offers more that the PSP.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
Why do people always apologize when a few people get mad?
It is a ripoff, and he was in the right for saying it.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Of all the bullshit he has spouted THIS is what he apologizes for? Let me guess... Threats from Sony?

era81

Jun 11, 2009
I don't see the need to say he's sorry here I think it's one of the dumbest fucking things I have seen in a while.The dumbass memory stick duo things are getting cheaper so now you include storage what the psp really needs is more ram and games.What moran thought it would be a good idea to tell everyone when this thing is announced that their still working on that pesky how you get the games you already have for the fucking thing on it Sony being Sony I guess.

SMOKEMNHALO2001

Sep 10, 2008
He shouldn't apologize, this is a rip-off. How about instead of trying to make the PSP-4000 (lets face it that's exactly what this is.) look like a all new system, you call it the PSP-4000, keep the UMD, add the 16 GB memory while still allowing me to use my memory stick duo and, improve the WI-FI speed and than it would be worth the extra dough cause than it would have felt like an IMPROVEMENT! Not some water downed and add-on system.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Glerken said:
Why do people always apologize when a few people get mad?
It is a ripoff, and he was in the right for saying it.
Damn Straight.
I'm thinking Sony kidnapped his dog.

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
Michael Patcher was right the first time. It's pretty common to see PSP consoles go for under £100 at the moment. In fact, if you lurk the electronics section on craigslist, you constantly see them go for as little as £50. If Sony asks people to pay $250 for a slimmed down version of something they are already offering for $100, I don't think it's at all innappropriate for someone to either express a little dissapointment or publically call them on their bullshit.

And yes, Sony probably threatened him.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
He has a right to his opinion, but in all honesty, I think I've heard enough of people saying it's a ripoff. It's decent hardware at the least, so don't be surprised if you gotta pay 50 extra for it.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Actually, he's right.

The vastly more popular handheld system (DS) only costs $180 AUS, I'm pretty sure Sony's making the same mistake here as they did with the PS3.