Sony Assures Credit Card Data Was Encrypted

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Assures Credit Card Data Was Encrypted

PlayStation Network users' credit card data may have been hacked into, but at least it was encrypted.

Around a week ago, Sony was forced to shut down the PlayStation Network, and the company later admitted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109568-Sony-Admits-Private-PSN-Info-Has-Been-Stolen-All-Of-It] that the act was the result of a malicious attack that could have exposed millions of users' personal data, including credit card information, to an unknown party. While this sounds gosh darn downright awful, a recent Q&A on the PlayStation Blog has at least revealed that this credit card data was encrypted, and may not have been as easy to acquire as it seemed earlier.

An email that Sony sent to 77 million PSN users warned that they might want to take somewhat drastic steps to protect themselves, including checking their credit reports. As it turns out, this was simply to take every precaution necessary because the information that was leaked is still unclear. While personal data was not stored in an encrypted state, credit card data was.

The Q&A states: "While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained. Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network."

Sony also says that it is working with law enforcement and "a recognized technology security firm" to take down the external force [] that made its way into the PSN. "This malicious attack against our system and against our customers is a criminal act and we are proceeding aggressively to find those responsible," the Q&A adds.

If you need more information on protecting yourself, and haven't gotten Sony's email yet, the Q&A can be found here [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/].

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
That is releaving to here.

Though I still plan to change my card...Just in case.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Sony, look down.

See the fire? That's coming from your pants.

In all seriousness, I am just glad that I don't own a PS3. I really hope no ones data gets stolen.

ZeZZZZevy

Apr 3, 2011
I wonder how well it was encrypted.
Also, why wasn't personal data also encrypted? That's almost as important as the credit card info, and EVERYONE enters that in, whereas a large number of people use prepaid cards to buy things.

Rayken15

Jan 10, 2011
People like Evilsanta make me laugh so hard.

OT: I am GLaD I don't own a PS3. Hopefully the ones that do won't get their money and all that data stolen.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im gonna call it now. Nobody is going to believe this, because everyone is too angry at sony to be logical.

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
HankMan said:
Shadie777 said:
This Q&A was released on Sony's blog a day ago.
Kinda late in reporting this.
Just like Sony!
You managed to make me laugh, thank you ^^
Since this is the internet I will like to say this isn't sarcasm :D

Seriously though, its nice that I know a little bit more about the situation now. I also believe that checking the PS blog instead of always relying on the escapist is a good idea for people who don't know whats going on.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
While personal data was not stored in an encrypted state
Which is a pretty big mistake as far as I'm concerned.

Tom Goldman said:
Keep in mind, however that your credit card security code (sometimes called a CVC or CSC number) has not been obtained because we never requested it from anyone who has joined the PlayStation Network."
So I guess that you requesting it every time I want to buy something from the Playstation Store doesn't count? Don't lie, Sony.

Echo136 said:
Im gonna call it now. Nobody is going to believe this, because everyone is too angry at sony to be logical.
Nah, nobody is going to believe this because Sony has changed their story with regards to this incident more than most people change their underwear. There's no way to know if this one is finally the truth or if tomorrow we'll get another story which also may or may not be the truth.

Bottom line, I am very glad I always took the extra time to remove my CC info from my PSN account after each purchase.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
And another false-alarm bell is forced to stop ringing. There've already been people insisting it was just stored there in a text document. It's getting harder and harder to blame Sony for this, but people are still trying. I guess it's easier to throw darts at the only face you can see. Hopefully they'll catch the hackers and give folks a new Guy to burn.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Because of the "Rule of CYA," I didn't believe for a moment that Sony would store credit card data in an unencrypted state. Even if they had never been hacked, that would be opening themselves up to a lawsuit in itself; they had to know that.

Unfortunately, even encryption methods aren't infallible. And if the hackers do get that data, it won't matter that Sony barely qualifies as negligent in this case; the people will want blood.

I hope they catch the hackers and work a little vigilante justice on them.

robert022614

meeeoooow
Dec 1, 2009
so the hackers that were able to steal pretty much everything from a major corporation will be utterly thwarted by Sony's encryption? sounds sketchy.

JochemDude

Nov 23, 2010
Shadie777 said:
This Q&A was released on Sony's blog a day ago.
Kinda late in reporting this.
This
robert022614 said:
so the hackers that were able to steal pretty much everything from a major corporation will be utterly thwarted by Sony's encryption? sounds sketchy.
Oh this as well.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Well, this is good to hear.

Hopefully, Sony can catch this guy/guys, and we can then proceed with tieing him to a mast and flogging him with an angry cat. I want to start playing Mortal Kombat online, dammit! (yes, I am aware that PSN should be back up by the 3rd)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Sony also says that it is working with law enforcement and "a recognized technology security firm" to take down the external force [] that made its way into the PSN. "This malicious attack against our system and against our customers is a criminal act and we are proceeding aggressively to find those responsible," the Q&A adds.
THIS! This is what I've been waiting to hear. Find them, Sony. Find them. If they are outside of the U.S., hire some sort of hitman and eliminate them. If they are in the U.S., do the same thing or do it yourself. I want them found and dealt with just as much as I want my PSN back.