Sony Assures Credit Card Data Was Encrypted

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
To shut some people up:

This doesn't have to do with the console. It is about the Network Service. Everyone can survive a week or 2 without online. Now, if you were brave enough to allow Sony to have your credit card account number and code, it's your head. I wasn't. Which is why I waited for the PSN cards.

As for the encrypted data, kind of late to the party. This took them a week to figure out? Really?

damselgaming

Feb 3, 2009
My co-worker had 6 £250 withdrawals from his account today. I think it's pretty safe to say that the 'maybe' is out the window.

Sartan0

Apr 5, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Bottom line, I am very glad I always took the extra time to remove my CC info from my PSN account after each purchase.
I do this all the time. Amazon keeps trying to save it. I will take security over convenience any day. It also helps as a final check on buying something. Is this something I really want? If so I will bother to fill in my credit card information again.

geckoguy18

Apr 12, 2010
The real issue here is that nothing else was encrypted which means this the hackers hackers have all the other information so if you use the same password for another service I would change that as well.

RustyCat

Oct 19, 2010
Several dozen people have chimed in on Ars Technica stating that, since the attack, they've had suspicious activity on the cards they used for PSN.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/ars-readers-report-credit-card-fraud-blame-sony.ars

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I'm actually getting tired of the same PR line. Sony, you want to re-sssure us, don't copy and paste your ealier statements. They sound rehersed enough rithout sounding like a recorded message.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Sony said this is all a hoax and everyone who owns a PS3 is getting upgraded services tomorrow.
No wait! The upgraded services are only available to people who called the Q&A line!
No wait! The Q&A line was hacked into and everyone who called the Q&A line has to do a funny dance or all their golds will be stoleded!
No wait! Everything is fine because the Q&A line was encrypted and nothing really happened!

Still sitting back playing my xbox, laughing at Sony =)

Tron Paul

Dec 11, 2009
This is the company who's root key on the PS3 was leaked. Let's just say when even the best encryption algorithms can be cracked, Sony's isn't the best. Also why the hell were passwords in plaintext? That's just dumb.

Emergent

Oct 26, 2010
This is just more spin. Trying to counter the devastating implications of this: http://lo-ping.org/2011/04/26/psn-hacker-chat-logs/ (where the "users" seem to be indicating that the info was not, in fact, encrypted).

Why counter it? Because they're potentially liable for billions.

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
Ever use a credit card at any store? - Or in fact have you ever removed your credit card from your wallet?

You are in a greater threat handing your card to a waiter in a restaurant than something happening with this crap. Who uses a bank these days that doesn't fix these issues in the matter of a couple days.

Just had my card duped last month - Over $3000 was stolen from my account. 1 call to my bank and it was back in 2 days time and 5 days later I had a new card. Not really a life ending event. If your bank doesn't work like this you need to get a better one.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Well, no matter the outcome, I'm glad I got my old, non-functioning credit card entered in my PSN.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
SharedProphet said:
Didn't help Shamus' brother [http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=11467]...
I love how you say this but

UPDATE: While the PSN notification about the breech arrived in the same morning as the news of my brother?s credit card theft, there are other factors in play here that point elsewhere. It?s impossible to say for sure, but let?s not lay the blame for this on Sony just yet.
is right at the bottom of that article. Don't get me wrong there is definitely a possibility and people should definitely be vigilante but I wonder how many claims are just happenstance as opposed to actual. Then again I only ever used store bought psn cards on my account if I have the choice that is the way I will always go and I do the same thing on XBL and anyother online places if possible. Otherwise wallmart prepaid cards are great.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
PettingZOOPONY said:
Just yesterday it was revealed by their own security experts the cards were kept in plain text. Wtf is going on.
Do you have a link to this I would love to read that. Cause that is web transaction 101 if they really did store them as plain text then they are definitely negligent in this aspect.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Sent to 77 million users, but they forgot me on their list? Fuckers.

*Captcha: "covers angsnoin" what?

PettingZOOPONY

Dec 2, 2007
midpipps said:
PettingZOOPONY said:
Just yesterday it was revealed by their own security experts the cards were kept in plain text. Wtf is going on.
Do you have a link to this I would love to read that. Cause that is web transaction 101 if they really did store them as plain text then they are definitely negligent in this aspect.
I'll dig it up, people are already using the stolen info which indicates there was 0 encryption involved.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
DanielBrown said:
I'm glad I got my old, non-functioning credit card entered in my PSN.
Hmmm, you may have just relieved some worry from my own mind there, I dont think I've used my new card on PSN since getting it issued a few months ago. I only wish I could access the network to find out now