Notch Reveals Charming Map System for Minecraft

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Notch Reveals Charming Map System for Minecraft

Notch is working on a colorful new map system for Minecraft version 1.6.

Minecraft was recently updated to version 1.5, adding weather, achievements, rails, and stat tracking [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109392-Notch-Releases-Minecraft-1-5-with-Weather-Rails], but creator Markus "Notch" Persson is already hard at work on version 1.6. While he calls 1.6 "mostly a bug fix update," it will add a map system, which Persson has revealed the first details and screenshots for.

[gallery=220]

Players will craft maps at a certain zoom level that are centered at the location of their creation. As players move around, the map will fill in. Each map will only represent a certain area depending on where players are in the world, so we'll only be able to create maps of the entire world if the zoom level allows for it.

Maps are items that can be dropped and picked up by other players, who can also view them. Notch says there'll be a map linking system so that multiple players can fill out the same map and see where each other are. If the world is changed, as Minecraft worlds tend to be, players will have to visit the changed location to update the map.

It sounds like Notch is still working out the map system's kinks and figuring out its final feature set. Interestingly, he adds that the code written for it will probably be reused later for player-created books, notes, or even paintings. The map system will be the only new feature in 1.6, so other interesting additions such as these may have to wait until 1.7 or beyond.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Let's see how this turns out. Once 1.6 comes out, maybe I can finally find my way back home... -_-

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Nice addition. This will make things more fun.

Kudos to the developer to. I guess he is taking things up a Notch

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
Hmm. Well it certainly helps avoid getting lost. I'm rather neutral about the change as of now. My opinion might change later though.

DrunkDonut

Dec 30, 2009
That Guy Who Phails said:
The middle one looks like a dick.

.....This gets my approval.
Thank god I thought I was the only one who saw that at least don't have to go ans see a shrink now.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
Definitely would be useful if you can use them to view your current location while lost somewhere underground or building tunnels for a set area, but can't keep your barings topside.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
... It's not like he broke cartographer completely with that saving change update.

Wonder how maps in the nether work.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Finally! I don't care if this won't be in until 1.9, I just want some bloody map in the bloody game. Really, that's the one essential feature the game lacked, and it took this long?

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Player created books eh? I could make a minecraft diary.

Day 7: Built a wall. Creepers blew it up. Damn creepers...

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
HerbertTheHamster said:
... It's not like he broke cartographer completely with that saving change update.

Not well I hear. The cartography has really gone to hell.

OT: Is it just me, or does he seem to be faster with these patches now.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
CM156 said:
HerbertTheHamster said:

Not well I hear. The cartography has really gone to hell.

OTL Is it just me, or does he seem to be faster with these patches now.
It's his team that makes most of them. He just gets all the credit and cash.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Finally, something usefull and cool. The last few updates were very poor with stuff that didnt matter all that much, but this one is cool because now it is possible to travel without the fear of not coming back (Yeah, we had the compass already but its not the same thing)

Demonicdan

Dec 8, 2010
DrunkDonut said:
That Guy Who Phails said:
The middle one looks like a dick.

.....This gets my approval.
Thank god I thought I was the only one who saw that at least don't have to go ans see a shrink now.
What are you talking about I don't see anythi... oh, oooh. Damn it notch, stop being so likeable.