Canada Jumps On the PSN Bandwagon

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Canada Jumps On the PSN Bandwagon

The Privacy Commission of Canada is the latest government agency to wag its finger at Sony, saying it will "look into" the PlayStation Network security breach and customer information theft.

It feels a bit like piling on, but the office of Edmonton Journal [http://www.priv.gc.ca/]. "We will determine next steps once we have a full understanding of the incident."

What those "next steps" might be are unclear, as the Commissioner does not have the power to impose penalties or award damages to aggrieved parties. The office isn't entirely without influence, however; in 2009, a Privacy Commission report found that Facebook was in violation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/94239-Canadian-Government-Forces-Facebook-Changes] of the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, which eventually led to numerous changes in its privacy policies. Lawton said Sony had not notified the Office of the Privacy Commissioner about the breach but added that it is not actually required to do so under PIPEDA.

Stoddard is actually a bit late to the party, as the U.S. and U.K. governments have already expressed their lack of amusement with Sony's PSN antics. On April 26, U.S. Senator Richard Blumenthal make further inquiries [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109578-U-S-Senator-Blasts-Sony-for-Keeping-Breach-Secret] to establish the precise nature of the incident before deciding what action, if any, needs to be taken by this office."

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Im starting to think buying a PS3 a few months ago was a mistake, if only because every government in the world is going to want to bankrupt Sony now.

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
*Facepalm*

Wow. This is like instead of your dad asking why you forgot to lock the door and someone stole your tv, your dad, mom, sister, brother, aunt, uncle, other uncle, both grandma's, both Grandpa's and the gas station clerk asking why. Give it a rest already.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Echo136 said:
Im starting to think buying a PS3 a few months ago was a mistake, if only because every government in the world is going to want to bankrupt Sony now.
Long as SONY deals this shortly, most governments just sit there and grumble. What's the use of collecting a million dollars in fines when your country owes 90 billion? (this was hyperbole).

My surprise is... Canada wasn't the LAST country to attack for once? THE FUCK!!!!!?????

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
oh canada why did you have to jump on this i thought we were better then this

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
Next up! Germany!! Or maybe Australia. I can't help but wonder if all these 'inquiries' will just divert some of the manpower needed to resolve the issue.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Ok, I can't possibly fathom why pepole think that Sony should not be held accountable for the loss of this staggering amount of private information. If I am not mistaken, they are required by law, to handle this data responsibly, and make sure it is secure. Evidently, they have failed.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Well, this keeps up the Playstation is going to be dead. The US has limitations on punishments, for example under the US constitution 24.5 billion would be considered "excessive" as well as "cruel and unusual". However, I don't know what's to stop the rest of the countries of the world from bankrupting Sony into oblivion and then stomping on the ashes to see if any more coins pop out.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Hugums said:
DAMN IT CANADA! This why you're the butt of every joke
As the article points out, they did this on the tails of the US and UK Governments.

OT: I have no great love for Sony, but at no point should government be involved in this. Now I'm just annoyed.

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
Ahem, may I have your attention please.

Canada, the U.S, the U.K. and everybody else on the Sony hate wagon...please, shut up.

Sony has gotten itself into a bad situation and did not handle it well. Now, either help them or get out of the way so that they will have a chance to fix their crap and redeem themselves.

"This isn't the end of the gaming industry, but you can see it from here."

Diligent

Dec 20, 2009
Hugums said:
So Canada is the butt of every joke because somebody breached Sony's security and stole user information, and later Canada's privacy commissioner made a brief statement to a Canadian newspaper saying that as Sony reveals more information on what happened they will look into what steps (if any) need to be taken to protect it's citizens? That makes oodles of sense.

And Canada is the butt of every joke?
Why did the chicken cross the road? Canada.
Shit, I guess you're right.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Arachon said:
Ok, I can't possibly fathom why pepole think that Sony should not be held accountable for the loss of this staggering amount of private information. If I am not mistaken, they are required by law, to handle this data responsibly, and make sure it is secure. Evidently, they have failed.
I don't think anyone thinks Sony shouldn't be held accountable, but I do believe there is a widespread feeling that government intervention is not necessary. No good will come from that. People, individually, should work to hold Sony accountable. But people are so weak, they can't bring themselves to do. I for one, will not be purchasing anymore Sony products, that is the best and most honest way to handle this.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
So Canada jumps aboard the bandwagon. Whos next? Australia? South Africa? India? Nigeria? Maybe even the whole 54 countries of the British Commonwealth?

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
Baresark said:
Hugums said:
As the article points out, they did this on the tails of the US and UK Governments.

OT: I have no great love for Sony, but at no point should government be involved in this. Now I'm just annoyed.
It's a government's job to protect it's citizens. When someone steal their private information because of a lack of security, they better get involved.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
ShadowKatt said:
Well, this keeps up the Playstation is going to be dead. The US has limitations on punishments, for example under the US constitution 24.5 billion would be considered "excessive" as well as "cruel and unusual". However, I don't know what's to stop the rest of the countries of the world from bankrupting Sony into oblivion and then stomping on the ashes to see if any more coins pop out.
^ This, disappointing that noone seems to be trying to help the problem instead of add to it.