Hitman: Absolution Teaser Is Precisely That

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hitman: Absolution Teaser Is Precisely That

Agent 47 is returning for his "most dangerous" contract yet, but we don't really know much more than that.

It's been a while since we first heard rumors that could be called Hitman: Absolution [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91628-New-Hitman-Game-In-Development]. Hopefully, it will be even less of a while before we learn more about the game beyond a cryptic teaser trailer and some marketing fluff.

I really hesitate to call the video here to the right a "trailer," because there's very little actual content. In it, everyone's favorite bald-headed professional murderer calmly affixes a silencer to a pistol, and then the scene changes to a snake coiled around a gun. That's it.

Unless publisher Square-Enix and developer IO Interactive are hinting that there will be a gun in the game that shoots snakes as ammunition, there's nothing else there.

There's a bit more in Square's marketing fluff: Agent 47 will be accepting his "most dangerous contract to date," having been betrayed by friends and sought by lawmen for years - maybe he could try changing his hairstyle, just a thought. 47 will be caught in the middle of a conspiracy, which must be a bummer when all you want to do is to get paid to kill dudes.

"For the first time we are taking Agent 47 on a personal journey which allows us to explore other parts of the Hitman fantasy," said IO game director Tore Blystad. "This is both a familiar and yet significantly different experience from other Hitman games; something our silent assassins will relish, as will all those new to the Hitman world."

The game will be revealed at E3 and is scheduled to hit shelves in 2012. For the record, if there is a gun in the game that shoots snakes as ammunition, then I totally called it.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/10/square-enix-teases-hitman-return-with-trailer/])

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Should anyone have any faith in IO after K&L2?

I've never been a Hitman fan before, and I'm not starting now unless a drastic gameplay overhaul happens...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.

Quite the...not telling you shit...trailer.

I mean, Square Enix is probably gonna get blamed if it sucks, but really...they haven't seemed to display any sort of attempt to control game development of anything they publish, seeing how the Eidos properties have turned out so far. Lara Croft: Guardian of Light and Just Cause 2 both met very positive critical reception. Kane & Lynch 2 got butchered on the other hand, and I can't shake the feeling that IO is mostly to blame. I mean, we don't exactly get a lot of news posts from Square Enix reps about...anything.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Damn, that reminds me how brilliant the music in the Hitman games always is.

It's been far too long since Blood Money, to say I'm looking forward to this would be a gross understatement :D

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

I've never been a Hitman fan before, and I'm not starting now unless a drastic gameplay overhaul happens...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.
Yeah well...

K&L isn't Hitman now is it?

They are 2 entirely separate franchises. Just because a company is great at making solo stealth games, don't mean they're gonna set the world on fire with something like K&L.

Fair enough if you dont like the game play of Hitman games, that's understandable, but just because K&L was wank doesn't mean the new Hitman game is gonna suck the sack...

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
I was so excited until I saw the Square Enix logo at the end. Now I am very fearful of what's to come D:

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Onyx Oblivion said:

Isn't really fair to judge them on that - developed during a roofing change and any time there's a takeover:

A) Workforce is shattered

B) Things get shaken up, for shaking ups sakes

I'm judging what this game will be like by Deus Ex - and therefore how heavy handed Square are and how likely they'll interfere with what makes the games good.

Admittedly the controls are rusty, but I want the soul to remain intact.

With the advent of accident kills in the previous game, I'm hoping IO will step it up and introduce career kills. I.e. study a target, learn their movements, anticipate their travelling and plot the assassinations accordingly - this game has the potential to be among the deepest and most intelligent on the market.

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Wadders said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yeah well...

They are 2 entirely separate franchises. Just because a company is great at making solo stealth games, don't mean they're gonna set the world on fire with something like K&L.

Fair enough if you dont like the game play of Hitman games, that's understandable, but just because K&L was wank doesn't mean the new Hitman game is gonna suck the sack...
I'm just wondering if the studio has undergone any drastic employee changes, really. Because I may not have loved Blood Money, but that was personal taste. There is a clear dip in quality in regards to K&L2. And it has been YEARS. Some people have come and gone.

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
HankMan said:
I bet that snake is thinking "Just TRY to take my gun Obama, make may day!"
OT: at least the graphics look good.
Onyx Oblivion said:
Should I have any faith in IO after K&L2?
Have they steered you wrong with Hitman yet?
While that maybe true, I don't think Square Enix had a hand in its development so far

Apr 28, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

I've never been a Hitman fan before, then again, I've only played the first 3 levels of Blood Money...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.
Well, they did make Freedom Fighters... so yeah.

Hopefully Kane and Lynch 2 was just an isolated incident.

I really hope it was.

Wadders

Aug 16, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
Wadders said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Yeah well...

I'm just wondering if the studio has undergone any drastic employee changes, really. Because I may not have loved Blood Money, but that was personal taste. There is a clear dip in quality in regards to K&L2. And it has been YEARS. Some people have come and gone.
Fair enough. I mean I love Blood Money personally, but as I said myself, it's been a damned long time since that came out, so you certainly have a point there.

Dammit, you've gone and made me all skeptical now :p

Lets just hope this game doesn't go the way that Max Payne 3 seems to be going.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Give it the Blood Money gameplay, with improvements to gameplay, ragdolls, more epic music, more epic ways to kill people, better gunplay, better AI, better graphics, Diana, and keep 47's style. DON'T TURN IT INTO A FAST PACED PEW PEW "STEALTH" GAME!

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
was it really worth showing us this, all we know is theres a new hitman game on the way.

gah, well i dont think the moderators will like that, so i'll add:
i hope this is better than all the last games, a very big overhaul is needed, gameplay and visual wise.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Irridium said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I've never been a Hitman fan before, then again, I've only played the first 3 levels of Blood Money...but IO just made one of the most poorly reviewed and received games of last year.
Well, they did make Freedom Fighters... so yeah.

Hopefully Kane and Lynch 2 was just an isolated incident.

I really hope it was.
oh shit they made freedom fighters? definately worth a look in my opinion then :)

Onyx Oblivion

Sep 9, 2008
Wadders said:
Dammit, you've gone and made me all skeptical now :p
Better to be skeptical and surprised by a game's greatness, then hyped to all hell and let down.

GiantRaven

Dec 5, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
I've only played Hitman 2: Silent Assassin(can't remember jack shit what happen in that game) while I did play and beat hitman contracts. It was all his old missions played in reverse and I need to play hitman:bloodmoney.
Over half the missions in Contracts were specific to that game. The ones that were lifted from the original game were also significantly reworked and retooled, essentially only sharing the main objectives with the original missions.

CardinalPiggles said:
i hope this is better than all the last games, a very big overhaul is needed, gameplay and visual wise.
What needs to be changed about the gameplay and visuals? Blood Money played the best out of all the games, and it was one of the best looking games on the PS2.