Square Enix Financials Fall Through the Floor

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Square Enix Financials Fall Through the Floor

The financial situation at Square Enix [http://www.square-enix.com/na/] has gone from zero to train-wreck in the course of a single fiscal quarter thanks to the earthquake, tsunami and a series of surprise "extraordinary losses."

Things looked reasonably stable for Square Enix back at the start of February, when it published its Consolidated Results Forecast for the 2010 fiscal year. It wasn't going to make a lot of money, just a little over $12 million in net income, which is certainly better than nothing, but then things got ugly.

Revisions to that forecast published today [http://www.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/110512.pdf] paint a whole new and much uglier picture for the company's year end. The damage wrought by the earthquake and tsunami that struck Japan in March, which forced the closure and then restoration of various "amusement facilities," cost the the company roughly $7.4 million, but it's a couple of "extraordinary losses" that really stung.

"Under a rapidly changing operating environment and more prudent estimates of future cash flows, the Company plans to write down goodwill (approximately ¥8.8 billion [$100 million])," the revision says. "Further, as a result of introducing a tightened selection standard regarding title lineup to strengthen the revenue base of the Company's digital entertainment segment, project development cancellation and related losses (approximately ¥4.5 billion [$55 million]) are expected."

A few other relatively small factors also come into play, adding up to a grand total of ¥16 billion [$200 million] in extraordinary losses for the year. Put it all together and what you get, instead of the predicted $12 million income, is a loss of $148 million. As Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/05/12/square-enix-braces-investors-for-extraordinary-losses-in-last/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fjoystiq+%28Joystiq%29] notes, the potential long-term upside is a stronger and presumably more profitable lineup of games resulting from the "tightened selection standard" but still, man, that's gotta hurt.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
This is the worst thing to happen to Square since FF XIV!

Really though, I feel for them. A shame things turned out the way they did.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I will buy 3000 copies of Human Revolution if it is good (which it will be).

And I will not pledge myself to that.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
[HEADING=2]It is time, Square!

REMAKE EVERYTHING!

EVERYTHING![/HEADING]​

Or just port all the old stuff to modern systems. Cheaper...and should do well enough.

I know I'd spend $40 or whatever on a PSP Chrono Cross. Or just $10 on the PSN store.

Edit:

Umm...is that a "watermark" in the SE logo pic? Right under the Square Enix part, but still in the box.

The.Bard

Jan 7, 2011
If ever there was a time to act on that FFVII remake... that time would be, oh, say, right about now.

Apr 28, 2008
And if they re-released an HD remake of FF7, they'd make all that back and then some.

I don't even care for the game or franchise that much, but it'd be stupid to pass up the opportunity to make shit-tons of $$$ by not re-making it.

iliekmudkips

Mar 30, 2011
Hey square, You know what'd really save you money?
Not spending any on shitty voiceactors, and go back to the IX and lower Era, when the games didnt need voice acting to have a great storyline!

Onyx Oblivion said:
It is time, Square!

REMAKE EVERYTHING!

EVERYTHING!

Or just port all the old stuff to modern systems. Cheaper...and should do well enough.

I know I'd spend $40 or whatever on a PSP Chrono Cross. Or just $10 on the PSN store.
this clearly would work

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Time to call in the back up plans for guaranteed money.

1) Release Kingdom Hearts 3.
2) Release Final Fantasy XIII Versus or whatever we're calling it now.
3) Release Final Fantasy XV--and make it good, it will sell three times as much.
4) Release sequel to Final Fantasy VIII (okay, so I'm really the only one that wants that).
5) Release a new Chrono game.
6) Remake Final Fantasy VII on the PS3.

Follow these steps, and the company will be back in black immediately. :)

RSparowe

Apr 25, 2011
It's a shame it took a combined financial, logistical and environmental catastrophe to finally implement a "tightened selection standard".

"We were happy releasing shit when we were sitting on piles of Yen."

Trasken

Mar 30, 2010
I predict a massive milking of the Final Fantasy brand in a desperate attempt to recapture the former glory they were in the 90s

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
I commend the company for it to make such a heavy donation when facing such massive losses of its own anyway.

A shame things like this will be quickly forgotten amongst all the fashionable corporation hatred.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
...Maybe that means the last Final Fantasy was really the FINAL Fantasy...
Then again, maybe they'll pull something like they did with the First Final Fantasy...

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Simple:

Remake FF7 that should make you guys enough

Never played it but seem people seem to think it was the Second Coming of Christ via a PS Game...

Ellen of Kitten

Nov 30, 2010
Sniper Team 4 said:
Time to call in the back up plans for guaranteed money.

1) Release Kingdom Hearts 3.
2) Release Final Fantasy XIII Versus or whatever we're calling it now.
3) Release Final Fantasy XV--and make it good, it will sell three times as much.
4) Release sequel to Final Fantasy VIII (okay, so I'm really the only one that wants that).
5) Release a new Chrono game.
6) Remake Final Fantasy VII on the PS3.

Follow these steps, and the company will be back in black immediately. :)
Stepping stones, my friend. :) Stepping stones. First, they have to work with properties they currently have. Bringing some psp exclusives to the PSN would be a good first step (when the thing isn't offline on account of hacker warfare). I've often heard that the reason why Crisis Core was never ported to the PS2 was because it moved to many PSP's. Well now SE has a selfish reason to do it; they need the money.

It'd probably be pretty easy to "remaster" some of its Squaresoft properties, and put them on every store it can. PSN, iOS, Live, etc. Or take its currently remastered properties (FF1 and 2 Dawn of Souls that was released on the iOS) and put them on the stores for each system. I just recently got Secret of Mana for my iPod touch. Why isn't this on the psn or Live? (Well I know why it's not on the PSN, shh, you'll ruin my point.)

Recover a little bit. Take those funds, and then pull a Squaresoft; put all their hopes into Final Fantasy... 7 remake. :D

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
The reason they haven't remade FF7 already is because it would cost so much. Now they're losing money and people think the answer is to do that thing that would cost too much that they didn't do when they had a huge pile of money? They don't even have the extra money sitting around to do that right now. FF7 remake is a terrible idea at the moment.

CannibalRobots said:
This is what they get for making terrible games.
Yep. Giving everyone free FF14 because the game sucks so much sure can't be helping.

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
Duskflamer said:
So, the massive losses involved with FFXIV don't even get a mention here?
If those aren't worth mentioning then Square really is in deep shit.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
You see Square, this is what you get when you dick around making half-assed online games based on the FF series. Now finish up 13 versus(christ are they even working on that anymore) and get to work on KH3 before you find your self belly up in bankruptcy.