Harpist Plays the Morrowind Theme and It Is Awesome

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Harpist Plays the Morrowind Theme and It Is Awesome

The harp may not be the most obvious choice of instruments with which to interpret the Morrowind [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-Morrowind-Game-Year-Pc/dp/B0000CNUUP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305299280&sr=8-1] theme but I have heard it [and seen it] and it is stirring and beautiful.

Gillian [soft G, X-Files style] Grassie is a harpist. She strikes me as a pretty good harpist, although I'm not really in a position to judge such things since I know zip about harps or the people who play them. But I do know a little about videogame music, and I know a lot about The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, so I can say with absolute authority that her version of the Morrowind theme, as played on the harp, totally rocks.

Why is she playing a videogame theme song on her rare and exotic instrument? Oddly enough, it turns out that record companies aren't exactly lining up to sign harpists to big contracts, so Grassie has been taking requests for covers in order to help fund her next album. As of yesterday, her Kickstarter campaign [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1113362654/the-hinter-haus-a-new-album-by-gillian-grassie] had broken the $12,000 dollar mark, thanks in no small part to the Elder Scrolls community.

"Thanks so much for taking this viral guys!" she wrote on Youtube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4-9xV9M1ag]. "The Elder Scrolls community has a new, soft, warm place in my heart."

Kickstarter funding for Grassie's next album, The Hinter Haus, ends on May 14 so if you're inclined to put a buck or two in the hat, you might want to be quick about it. And while plans for that recording are already in place, let me go on record right here and now that if she ever puts together a full collection of videogame theme covers, I am totally there. Totally. [Yes, that's a hint, Gillian. Give it some thought.]

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Very peaceful and nostalgic, she adapts it well. It's a shame only a small range of instruments see commercial light outside of a niche market; there's a lot of good out there going overlooked.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
That's just beautiful. I always loved the Elder Scrolls theme. It can be calm and serene like that, or epic and action-packed like the Skyrim trailer.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Now someone should do it with a kazoo and a vuvuzela that would be amazing
OT: that is just beautiful this is one of my favourite themes in gaming and this just made it better

derelict

Oct 25, 2009
Christ this is awesome. She will be fav'd, and I will place her on my list right next to Ronald Jenkees, both being people that deserve much, MUCH more credit than what's given to them.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
Dear god, its beautiful. And she does it very well.
She deserves my +1 like and will go into my favorites.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
I would actually buy an album if it was filled with peacful music like that. I buy other relaxing music, togo along with the Tool, Godsmack and Taylor Swift.. I mean.. um SHinedown!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Fucking awesome. As far as gaming communities go the Elder Scrolls series definitely has one of the better ones.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Morrowind's Title Theme is one of the most nostalgic and emotional songs ever for me. It made me cry, several times.
Listening to this is...beautiful, to say the least.

Droppa Deuce

Dec 23, 2010
Morrowind is the best RPG and possibly best game I've ever played. And not because it was flawless, because it was far from perfect, but he story, gameplay and music took me into another world totally. It had such an alien and ethereal feel to it.

This harpist captures that feel. Can't wait for Skyrim.

10/10 to her

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I say she should do Marcus Memorial next.

But yeah, that's a helluva lot of talent she's got there.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
That brought me chills and a tear to my eyes. I've never even played the game! I don't have to be an expert on harps to know that she's got talent!