Pennsylvania Man Swipes Nintendo DS From Disabled Child

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Pennsylvania Man Swipes Nintendo DS From Disabled Child

Philosophers have long conjectured that man is basically good. They obviously never met Derrick Durant.

According to police, Durant recently made off with a Nintendo DS belonging to 7-year-old Michael Suhy. Suhy suffers from muscular dystrophy, a disorder characterized by the gradual degradation of muscle tissue to the point where the young boy is confined to a wheelchair.

"He loves [the Nintendo DS], and it keeps him occupied, and he plays it a lot," Suhy's father told local news reporters. "We've been nice to that kid. In these circumstances, [the theft] was the most horrible thing in the world. He's defenseless and only 7."

Durant, the ex-boyfriend of Suhy's elder sister, allegedly took the handheld during a recent visit to the boy's Pennsylvania home. He later fenced it at a nearby GameStop.

Using store surveillance footage and the serial number affixed to the the bottom of the DS, police were able to apprehend Durant, and return the system to its rightful owner. Durant now faces charges of theft and receiving stolen property.

Admittedly, the theft is all the more tragic given the age of its victim and his physical malady, but in reality this sort of thing is depressingly common. I spent three years working in gaming retail -- not GameStop, but a similar environment -- and I can't count the number of times the police were called in to investigate our trade-in inventory.

Outside of profiling customers based on the likelihood that they're suffering from methamphetamine withdrawls, or holding every trade-in item for days just in case they turn out to be stolen, there really isn't much stores can do to curtail this type of activity.

So what's the solution? I just don't know. Even if Nintendo surgically implants an identification chip in the hand of every DS owner that prevents others from using their gaming machine, that just sets society up for a rash of horrific hand thefts.

Source: WPXI [http://www.wpxi.com/news/27887217/detail.html]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
damn... it happened in beaver. And thats close to.

well, more toward the topic, I'm not really surprised. its nto like theft is new, and its not like stealing from disabled kids is a new thing. most of us probably rmember the guy that did it from the hospital.

I'm just curious if the same posts of how money shouldnt go towards a ds and more towards helping the kid will rise.

eh. As Max Talbot would say, guy's a douche.

And thats really all i can say about that.

PixelKing

Moderately confused.
Sep 4, 2009
If I said what I really feel here I would be kicked from the forums for profanity.

Just...Dude...

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Postulate 1. There are evil people.
Postulate 2. These people cannot be identified by group, race, name, gender, or any other classification. They are evil, no matter what else they are.
Conclusion. Based on postulate 2, there is no way to keep evil people from being evil. All that can be done is to punish those that are.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
omicron1 said:
Postulate 1. There are evil people.
Postulate 2. These people cannot be identified by group, race, name, gender, or any other classification. They are evil, no matter what else they are.
Conclusion. Based on postulate 2, there is no way to keep evil people from being evil. All that can be done is to punish those that are.
I think a red hot brand of some kind might be an option... just throwing it out there.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
This makes me feel like there is no reason for some people to exist. I can however, hope that there are good people on Earth.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I think muscular dystrophy should be transferable. You know, he gives the DS back and gets the disease in return. An old man dies, a little boy lives. Fair trade.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
I worked at a gamestop in Philly and Let me tell you, I personally counted 18 times Cops was called in to investigate our Inventory over a stolen game, console or anything else.

I am happy to admit in being involve with catching some punk who did it to a boy with special needs. Cops came in looking for the man, and I told them to wait up, while I call the man back to the store; with the reason the Xbox was damaged and we needed to refund the money.

He walk back in and the cops arrested on the spot.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok first that 360 thieft that happen months ago and now this. Some people are just so selfish...

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
rollerfox88 said:
The solution is already there - have people write down the serial number when they buy a console. If it goes missing, pass the number onto the police. And when the people try to sell the thing, check the serial number against the "stolen console" database (unless it's scratched off, in which case no deal).
Not too many people do that, hell not too many people knows that exist.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Dr. wonderful said:
rollerfox88 said:
The solution is already there - have people write down the serial number when they buy a console. If it goes missing, pass the number onto the police. And when the people try to sell the thing, check the serial number against the "stolen console" database (unless it's scratched off, in which case no deal).
Not too many people do that, hell not too many people knows that exist.
Thats why I keep boxes to everything.

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
Well as others have stated... I used to work in a used game store, and this kind of thing happens all the time. The same guy would come in trading in (always for cash) the exact same set of games each week. The guy had lifted an entire "bargain bin" shipment from a local Wal*Mart.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
The serial number on my first DS wore off from so much use. My new one's is going strong but silly me to allow it to be accessible to small children. They broke the hinge, fortunately it still plays.

Good luck to the kid though.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
And the guy who did it, has nothing to say/his statements weren't shown?
This makes no sense, why did he do it?

Ah well, at least the kid got his game back.