Chinese Military Creates Its Own Army Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Chinese Military Creates Its Own Army Game

The Chinese People's Liberation Army is putting the finishing touches on its own America's Army-style shooter entitled Mission of Honor.

The breaking international law [http://www.amazon.com/Americas-Army-True-Soldiers-Xbox-360/dp/B000Q4VK86/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305650834&sr=8-2] against the recruitment of child soldiers with the game because of its T (Teen) rating.

That level of effectiveness may be one reason why the PLA is getting into the game development business itself. The Chinese Army is currently wrapping up work on Mission of Honor, which it co-created with the Wuxi Giant Interactive Group Inc. Much like America's Army, the Chinese game focuses on life as a military recruit, with three individual modules - basic training, individual mission and team combat - culminating in a final, large-scale drill code-named "Mission of Honor."

China Daily [http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2011-05/13/content_12507242.htm] says that most of the Chinese military's "entertainment tools" are still simple games like chess and while some military games are occasionally played, they are "mostly developed by foreign countries, which may have different military values and mislead Chinese army officers and soldiers." Soldiers who have tried the new, home-grown game have described it as "quite fun."

Mission of Honor is currently being "perfected" by developers. Rumors that the PLA High Command is demanding the inclusion of a zombie survival mode could not be confirmed.

Feb 13, 2008
Goddam, it's tough not to pun this one to pieces, but I've had my fill for the day. (Takeaways, Want another one after an hour). It'll be interesting to see how much this differs though, and whether it will be playable.

And especially if America/UK/Australia are the bad guys.

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Goddam, it's tough not to pun this one to pieces, but I've had my fill for the day. (Takeaways, Want another one after an hour). It'll be interesting to see how much this differs though, and whether it will be playable.

I hope we are. It's about time we came under fire, instead of being invaded all the time.

chemicalfire

Nov 10, 2009
ooooh! Maybe they'll have Consumerist American Zombies instead of Nazi German Zombies!? Honestly, I'm rather surprised it took them this long to implement recruiting into a game, all things considered.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
StarStruckStrumpets said:

I hope we are. It's about time we came under fire, instead of being invaded all the time.
Speak for yourself. At least there are countries that consider you worth invading. When was the last time Australia got invaded in a videogame ever?

The thought of shooting Australians is making me excited; I can pretend that one of them is me, and I'm some badass evil supersoldier.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
Considering the Zombia Apocalypse begins in China, there better be a damn Zombie suvivor mode!

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
I thought the quote saying that most fps are "mostly developed by foreign countries, which may have different military values and mislead Chinese army officers and soldiers" pretty interesting.

China's using the game to counter Western values inherent in most fps. The diffusion of western ideas in Chinese society through, for instance games, is something the CCP won't look kindly on, so the rational thing is to make your own game which espouses values endorsed by the Chinese state.

Then again, i should probably wait and see what the finished product is before judging. And as America's Army shows, China isn't the only country into propaganda.

Mr Shrike

Aug 13, 2010
I'm genuinely intrigued by this... Part of me really wants to play it, hoping that it'll like Battlefield 2.

The other part of me thinks it's gonna be god awful.

LonelyWizzard

Mar 14, 2011
I don't see anything wrong with this. If i was in the chinese army I wouldn't want to have to play as an American soldier all the time in the same way I wouldn't want to only read books about America. Varietys good is what I'm saying.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Did they really need to call it "Mission of Honour"?
I guess china's brand knock-off culture runs even into independent IP's.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
chemicalfire said:
ooooh! Maybe they'll have Consumerist American Zombies instead of Nazi German Zombies!? Honestly, I'm rather surprised it took them this long to implement recruiting into a game, all things considered.
no, they'll just have capitalist pig-dogs instead of Hellhounds.
In other news, like the propaganda games Israel pumped out, I bet this will be a load of bollocks.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Andronicus said:
StarStruckStrumpets said:

Speak for yourself. At least there are countries that consider you worth invading. When was the last time Australia got invaded in a videogame ever?

The thought of shooting Australians is making me excited; I can pretend that one of them is me, and I'm some badass evil supersoldier.
You know all those people who believe that video games instigate violence? I just tried to imagine their faces hearing someone fantasize about having his country being invaded and killing himself through the avatar of his foreign enemy. GTA was at least comprehensible, but this would be just beyond them.

And yes, I too like to fantasize about being killed by an avatar whom I'm controlling as well. We gamers, gentlemen, have achieved a higher plane of existence.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
HankMan said:
So I guess America's Army has been shanghi'd
You sir, win.

OT: Couldn't they think of a better name? Really?

And a Zombie survival mode? Can't think of what 2 games they are getting idea's from /sarcasm.

Although it will be interesting to see how this plays out...