Mass Effect 2 Motion Comic Comes to Xbox Live

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Mass Effect 2 Motion Comic Comes to Xbox Live

The comic that served as an intro for the PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 finally comes to the 360.

Comics based on videogames tend to be ... well, let's not mince words. They tend to be dreadful. But some of the ones based on EA's games (I'm looking at you, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Antony-Johnston/dp/1607060337/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305662333&sr=8-1>Dead Space) have actually been pretty great. Now, Xbox gamers have the opportunity to watch the motion comic of Mass Effect 2: Genesis.

The comic is a collaboration between BioWare and Dark Horse Comics. The comic is being billed as a "15 minute interactive experience allows you to make the key choices of Mass Effect 1. This retelling will also let you have those choices reflected during Mass Effect 2."

The comic was originally created to introduce PS3 players to the Mass Effect universe, now it's an add-on Mass Effect 2. The comic is currently going for 320 Microsoft Points ($4). If you're looking to play Mass Effect 2 without slogging through all the backstory of the first game, this isn't a bad way to do it.

Source: <a href=http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Mass-Effect-2-Genesis/e3ba648a-2828-4009-8f21-ba3fe6ca1dd1>Xbox

Captainguy42

Is trapped in a title factory.
May 20, 2009
Hmm cool, I might get this even though I have ME, seems a like a faster way to get ready for ME3.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Not a bad idea. I want to play ME2 another time, while getting to make choices, without playing the first game yet again.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I can't really see any reason to get this, unless you just have to have everything. Or if you only have the second game for some crazy reason...

But it's there for certain people who are not me.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Has anyone played through ME1 (on either PC or 360) and this motion comic thing? Is it worth getting hold of?

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
DustyDrB said:
I can't really see any reason to get this, unless you just have to have everything. Or if you only have the second game for some crazy reason...

But it's there for certain people who are not me.
could be usefull if you allready did all the me1 playthroughs you wanted but might still miss out on some elements for me3 for example I didnt romance ashley or kaiden in either of my me1 playthroughs I just did one with liara and one with no romance intended for tali in me2.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
This really should have been free if you ask me.

I've seen it on the PS3, its pretty short and it's a feature that should have been with all versions of Mass Effect 2 from the get go. Charging $4 seems a bit grubby. Typical EA.

Would have been both a nice gesture and helped set up Mass Effect 3 for newbies easier.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
You've forgotten about the PC version, Escapist. You racist bastards.

I won't buy this, because there is no reason to buy it if only you have ME1.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
J03bot said:
Has anyone played through ME1 (on either PC or 360) and this motion comic thing? Is it worth getting hold of?
I have, I had a few extra points kicking around so I downloaded it. I'd say it's worth it if you're looking to jump into a new playthrough in ME2 without having to go through the process of making a character and completing the story in the first one. Playing through the first one is recommended, but if you don't have 15-40 hours to spare, and a few points lying around, go for the comic.

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Good lord. It's bad enough that Genesis (which completely massacres the brilliant plot of the original game) even exists in the first place, but they're actually CHARGING MONEY for it?!

What happened to you, BioWare?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
J03bot said:
Its only worth it if you want the paragon ending instead of the renegade ending that is Mass Effect 2's default. Very few things are actually covered in the comic, and the Geth are completely ignored.

Sep 4, 2009
vansau said:
The comic was originally created to introduce PS3 players to the Mass Effect universe, now it's an add-on Mass Effect 2. The comic is currently going for 320 Microsoft Points ($4). If you're looking to play Mass Effect 2 without slogging through all the backstory of the first game, this isn't a bad way to do it.
I've finish ME twice, and this looks like a bargain to me. As much as I love the game some parts of it feel like a chore, especially when compared to ME2. Though the resource gathering in that one... well, it was an inconvenience, quickly became too repetitive and in the context of the story made no sense.

Cerebrus has enough money to location and recover a body from hostile space (think needle in haystack in the DMZ), transport it to a purpose built space station secretly financed and constructed to bring him* back from the dead and rebuild him and build an upgraded version of a destroyed state of the art space ship - all while hunted by law enforcement - but will not provide the resources to give that vessel all the bells and whistles to give it best chance - on a mission they already consider a suicide mission.

That just doesn't make or logistic accounting sense to me. I only nitpick here because Bioware have an excellent track record with writing and want them to continually strive to improve. Or at least not make me suffer tediously to get an ending with a bodycount that dwarfs Hamlet.

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
Glad its coming, but its pretty lame that they're charging for it.

But I suppose I should come to expect that now that BioWare is owned by EA whose commitment to nickle and diming gamers is right up there with Activision.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'm going to have to get this, but getting charged 4 dollars for it when the PS3 got all the DLC except maybe Arrival and it for free. Oh well.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
320 points for 15 minutes is over the top, even by today's standards.

I've played through the comic on the PS3 version, and I wouldn't pay anything towards it - seeing as if you bother to put the effort in, you'd be able to find the full game for the same price.

And if you want the comic to avoid playing the first, perhaps you should avoid playing the series?

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is a pretty neat idea for those who don't like going back to previous games. As for me... well... I just love ME1 too much to not play it :D