Dutch Students Unveil Giant, Functional NES Controller

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Dutch Students Unveil Giant, Functional NES Controller

Electrical engineering students at Delft University of Technology have revealed their latest project: a giant replica of the original Nintendo Entertainment System controller.

The behemoth, which the students describe as the largest NES controller in the world, measures 3.6 meters by 1.6 meters. Here in America that translates to 11.8 feet by 5.2 feet. Roughly speaking, that's thirty times larger than the pad Nintendo shipped with its blockbuster console back in the 80s.

Size however, isn't this thing's most impressive feature. NES controller replicas are relatively common place -- in the past they've taken the form of shoes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106062-NES-Controller-Coffee-Table-Conceals-Working-Console] -- but this giant controller is special in that it actually functions as a controller.

Given its immense size the only way to really manipulate it is by standing on the buttons, but if you're quick enough it seems entirely possible to play Super Mario Bros. 3 like an especially wide Dance Dance Revolution analogue.

Netherlands-based gaming site Tweakers.net has a video of the thing in action [http://tweakers.net/nieuws/74518/studievereniging-tu-delft-bouwt-s-werelds-grootste-nintendo-controller.html] alongside their Dutch-language report on the unveiling. Honestly, I can't understand a word they say, but I love the soundtrack.

Source: Kotaku [http://tweakers.net/nieuws/74518/studievereniging-tu-delft-bouwt-s-werelds-grootste-nintendo-controller.html]

floopdawoop

Jun 26, 2010
Wow a large box with 4 buttons and a d-pad exciting stuff. Well not really.

"What if we made a nes controller but like, BIG"
"woah"

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I'd...like to say that that is impressive, but I can see how one would do it. Also, I had seen previously a fella that was wearing a gameboy costume which was completely functional in its ability to play Tetris.

Ironwampa

Dec 7, 2009
NES controllers have been made on this scale before. Unless this is big enough to be the new record holder this isn't even news.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
Ah, nice!

Although I did find out what a freak I am when at 2:23 the kid switched to up and down controls and I started thinking "Oh god, what are you doing? Stop that right now!"

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
I want it. Now!

Though it does seem to one of the most tiring way someone could ever do just to play Mario.

FFHAuthor

Aug 1, 2010
Let me know when they make an Xbox controller that large....

...oh wait, Microsoft already did that for the first Xbox.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Honestly, I can't understand a word they say
Consider yourself lucky, the guy sounds like he's trying to explain quantum physics to 8 year olds. :p

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
This is like, the 4th one, why not something more original, how about Colecovision, Master System. Hell someone even did an atari controller.

Blightning

Take 3 damage, discard 2 cards.
Oct 26, 2010
Man, Americans need to catch up with the rest of the world and learn the metric system.

Slangeveld

Jun 1, 2010
HankMan said:
Figures they'd be playing Mario, those Dutch really love their mushrooms!
8| I'm going to mush that mush while mushing my mush all up with mushies. Or something.

Yea, we do.

Kakashi on crack

Aug 5, 2009
Looks cool, but really not that impressive.

You just take the NES configurations for the controller and super-size them, I don't see what's extremely special about that.

Still, it looks cool *shrug*

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Snotnarok said:
This is like, the 4th one, why not something more original, how about Colecovision, Master System. Hell someone even did an atari controller.
I'd like to see a giant Jaguar controller personally. Or like a PS1 controller with full functioning rumble. I want buildings that aren't up to code crumbling before a super controller!

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
When you build one that is two stories tall and requires 8 people to play, then call me

Freaky Dutch Bastards....