Batman Fights Wolverine in Stylish Noir Fan Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

[vimeo=24106650]​

The mean streets of Gotham have gotten even meaner since Batman hung up the cape.

French film maker Pierre Desgranges has fused a cornucopia of influences together to create his short noir-style movie, Batman: Deliverance. These include - bizarrely enough - the exploits of the mutant berserker Wolverine, who pops up for a rather stylish Marvel vs. DC grudge match with no explanation whatsoever.

The film's plot takes some of inspiration from Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, with an aging Bruce Wayne who has given up his nocturnal vigilante activities. In Deliverance, Wayne has also developed a drinking problem, and his Batman costume talks to him, taunting him that he is nothing without it. There's also the whole bit with Wolverine that I mentioned before, but unless it represents some a very fan-service-y inner struggle, Desgranges seems to have just thrown it in for fun.

Even with the mysterious addition of metal-boned Canadians, Deliverance is a wonderfully made movie, which uses light and shade to great effect. It doesn't hurt either that the tired-sounding French voiceover gives the whole thing a great sense of gravitas. If audiences ever see The Dark Knight Returns up on the big screen, we can only hope that it has as much weight as this short film.

Source: io9 [http://io9.com/5807115/watch-the-dark-knight-returns-starring-a-french-batmanand-wolverine/gallery/1]

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
Wow. I was kind of thinking this would be wacky, but that is surprisingly awesome.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Now that I think about it, Batman vs Wolverine is probably the only crossover that DC and Marvel HAVEN'T done.

I wonder who they say would win, though. Guess it depends on if Batman has a healing factor negating gadget...or a super magnet.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Logan Westbrook said:
Y'know... I found myself scoffing a bit during the fight, thinking it was just a little too Batman-friendly. (In fairness, Marvel has always been pretty inconsistent about Wolverine's strength and overall mass, whatwith the metal skeleton and all) I was thinking, "There's no way this is how the fight would go, c'mon."

And then I was thinking, "Why am I concerned with how this fight would go? Am I 12?" And then I was thinking, "Nah, it's okay to think about it. It's pretty awesome."

And then, when the end of the fight came around, that all vanished. And I found myself thinking, "Okay. Yeah. This is exactly how this fight would go."

A good job, all around.

Arctarus'sCookie

May 9, 2011
I thought Batman was going to teabag Wolverine after he knocked him down. Wouldn't that have made a weird scene? o_o

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
If audiences ever see The Dark Knight Returns up on the big screen, we can only hope that it has as much weight as this short film.
I'm not so sure I would agree with that. I've never believed superhero movies are the best medium to deal with really complex ideas. Even the new Batman films boiled down to fairly simple ideas.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Now that I think about it, Batman vs Wolverine is probably the only crossover that DC and Marvel HAVEN'T done.

I wonder who they say would win, though. Guess it depends on if Batman has a healing factor negating gadget...or a super magnet.
True, as far as I can remember they never pitted them against one another but they sure as hell threw them together back in the good ole Amalgam days (man the 90s were weird). You should look up The Legend of The Dark Claw.

"Legend of the Dark Claw: The adamantium-clawed nocturnal predator of New Gotham is joined by Sparrow, his spunky protégée, in his war against the feral and psychotic Hyena! By Larry Hama, Jim Balent, and Ray McCarthy.
Amalgam of: Wolverine (M) and Batman (DC)"

Picture Below VVVVVVVVV Clicky!

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Isn't there already a movie about Batman fighting Wolverine?
It's called "The Prestige".

Dash-X

Aug 17, 2009
Somehow, I don't think it would take Wolverine that long to subdue Batman. That headbutt that Batman performed would probably do most of Logan's work for him.

Adamantium skull, you know...

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Until the end that fight seemed to be going way too well for Batman. It seemed to forget that hiding in the shadows only helps Batman avoid being seen, and there's still super smell and super hearing for Wolverine to keep track of him.
I didn't really get the point of it either, it was well put together but as a whole I found it quite jarring. It looked and sounded like a super-serious angst fest, but featured Batman vs Wolverine for no apparent reason. For me that felt like it couldn't keep a consistent mood.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Xanthious said:
Kopikatsu said:

True, as far as I can remember they never pitted them against one another but they sure as hell threw them together back in the good ole Amalgam days (man the 90s were weird). You should look up The Legend of The Dark Claw.

"Legend of the Dark Claw: The adamantium-clawed nocturnal predator of New Gotham is joined by Sparrow, his spunky protégée, in his war against the feral and psychotic Hyena! By Larry Hama, Jim Balent, and Ray McCarthy.
Amalgam of: Wolverine (M) and Batman (DC)"

Picture Below VVVVVVVVV Clicky!
Yeaaaa, I already knew about the Amalgam Universe. Is that still an ongoing mini-series thing or did it die out already?

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
I was completely into the film: great voice work, amazing visuals, absolutely perfect 'feel'... And then they brought in a totally inane fight with Wolverine. No pretense or reasoning.
It felt like the writer/director couldn't think of a way to have Batman be killed, except by the adamantium claws of "god's gift to nerds" (quoted from my wife, while she was venting about X2 and X-Men: Last Stand).

Reynard Wrecce

May 15, 2010
Yeah; aside from the arbitrary (if not bad) fight sequence, I really rather enjoyed this. Tight, meditative, well-lit, interesting psychological aspect to Bruce Wayne...I would like to see the suit/Bruce dialogue aspect expanded in a similar vein by the same guys, maybe to a short film in its own right...
Alors, superb; encore s'il-vous plaît!

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
What the hell was Wolverine doing there? And I'm not talking about the Marvel/DC issue here, no, what was hi business there, where did he suddenly come from and why was he fighting Batman?

Other than that, this was a very well made, quite atmospheric short film. I really like the use of lighting. But that fight just took me out of it.

darkknight9

Feb 21, 2010
Pretty good other than having a weak looking wolverine in there. Now, if it were the Mutant leader from Dark Knight Returns, that would have been something.