Electric Fists Are The Future Of Law Enforcement

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Electric Fists Are The Future Of Law Enforcement

In a bid to make every other cop on the planet jealous, the Los Angeles Police Department will soon begin testing the viability of armored electric gauntlets in law enforcement.

Created by inventor David Brown, the BodyGuard 9XI-HD01 is part taser, part arm guard, part mobile crime lab. It comes standard with an LED flashlight and video camera, but includes room to add GPS and chemical sensors as well.

That's all well and good. Procedure is useful in a courtroom, but none of that is even remotely as awesome as the BodyGuard's self-defense capabilities. By pulling a grenade-style pin and tapping a button in the middle of your palm, the device arcs a bright blue burst of a half-million volts between two spikes situated on the back of the wearer's hand. Ideally this would be enough to cause criminals to surrender.

If not, there's always the option to punch lightning into someone's chest.

Despite its possible future usage in law enforcement and prison population control situations, the device has more altruistic origins.

Brown, a professional cameraman, and friends were discussing an incident in which a mountain lion attacked a group of cyclists, killing one and maiming another. In such a situation, Brown believes, fear and anxiety would cause most people to drop or misuse any possible weaponry they might have. The BodyGuard, by contrast, is a device designed to be used "instinctively." Seven years and 30 prototypes later, Brown has a version of his invention that offers protection and prevents users from shocking themselves.

The BodyGuard has earned a spot as one of Popular Science's 2011 Inventions of the Year, and the site has a video of the device in action which stars Kevin "Ironically, star of The Bodyguard [http://www.amazon.com/Bodyguard-Full-Screen-Kevin-Costner/dp/0790729709/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1306959096&sr=1-2]" Costner.

It turns out that he's an investor, but I still would have preferred Christopher Lambert as the celebrity cameo [http://www.amazon.com/Mortal-Kombat-Christopher-Lambert/dp/0790729997].

Source: Engadget [http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2011-05/2011-invention-awards-stunning-development]

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
And now the existance of the 'Power Fist' in Fallout makes sense!
This is a sign of the apocalypse, see you in the vault!

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
Want with the fury of a thousand suns. Next step is the Fallout Ballistic Fist. Seriously though, someone needs to get a picture of the original device in action. Punching a Mountain lion with an electric fist? Your argument is now invalid.

superdelux

Apr 29, 2011
TheIronRuler said:
And now the existance of the 'Power Fist' in Fallout makes sense!
This is a sign of the apocalypse, see you in the vault!
FINALLY I've been saving up shotgun shells and bottle caps for years, with this all i require is a laser pistol, preferably a unique one.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This is sounding pretty cool. Although, how would you defend against it (I doubt it would be kept out of public, and by extension criminal, hands), and how much will it cost? Still, awesome.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
So, it's a taser that's utterly useless unless you happen to have strapped it to your arm in advance?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I'm betting the LAPD will see a huge spike in recruits in the future.
I approve, if it makes the job more fun, why not?

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
I love living in the future.

I love it.

thaluikhain said:
So, it's a taser that's utterly useless unless you happen to have strapped it to your arm in advance?
...?

Why would the police not be wearing it? Isn't that the same as saying a gun is utterly useless you happen to have it in your hand in advance?

I don't think this is intended for the wider public.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
Holy shit! GTA2 finally happened!

Although, I must be reading this wrong, since I can't tell how 'pull a pin and press a button on your arm' is easier to perform during a wild animal attack than 'point a gun at the animal's general direction and fire' or 'swing a large object at the animal'.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
The Random One said:
Holy shit! GTA2 finally happened!

Although, I must be reading this wrong, since I can't tell how 'pull a pin and press a button on your arm' is easier to perform during a wild animal attack than 'point a gun at the animal's general direction and fire' or 'swing a large object at the animal'.
Probably to do with the cliche "Raise your arm to protect yourself while the animal mauls on your forearm". So it is mauling on your forearm (which is protected), with your palm facing in. You go 'ka-doy *facepalm*, pull the pin and press the conveniently placed button (your palm). Suddenly a very large amount of electricity courses through the lion's brain ... Also, you can't drop an armguard. Seriously, try scaring someone so much they drop their wristwatch ... now try and make them drop their shirt (that they are wearing), it should be between those difficulties.