E3: New Skyrim Screens and Oblivion Anniversary Update

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
E3: New Skyrim Screens and Oblivion Anniversary Update

We've got a pile of hot new Oblivion Fifth Anniversary Edition [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-V-Skyrim-Pc/dp/B004HYIAPM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1307489261&sr=8-3], which is coming sooner than we thought but won't be bringing the horse armor.

One thing we can say for sure about Skyrim, the next chapter in Bethesda's long-running Elder Scrolls RPG series that's due out in November: it's going to look hotter than a Pursuit Special on methane. The ten new screens that turned up at E3 show off the game in all its glory, indoor and outdoor alike, and awhile it's hard to argue that they don't have a mighty powerful Oblivion vibe [with a little bit of Bloodmoon [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-Morrowind-Expansion-Pack-Pc/dp/B00009M97K/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307489356&sr=8-2] sprinkled on for good measure] they still look, well, hot.

[gallery=275]

Skyrim may still a long way off but the Fifth Anniversary Edition of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, announced back in May, most definitely isn't. In fact, it's even closer than we thought: the game was originally expected to ship on June 28 but Bethesda revealed today that it will actually come out on June 12. That's less than a week away! The game will go for $29.99 and include Oblivion, the Shivering Isles [http://www.amazon.com/Elder-Scrolls-IV-Knights-Nine-Pc/dp/B000JGU0VE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1307489445&sr=8-2] expansions, a "Making Of" DVD, full-color map of Cyrodiil and the Shivering Isles, a Steelbook case embossed with Daedric runes and a coupon for $10 off Skyrim, which takes the bottom line price down to 20 bucks.

It's a pretty sweet deal that suffers from one rather odd shortcoming: the stand-alone Oblivion DLC [https://orders.bethsoft.com/dlc/], like Mehrunes' Razor, The Orrery, Spell Tomes and of course the infamous Horse Armor, are not included as part of the package despite the fact that they were all part of the original Knights of the Nine release. No reason for the omission was given and it's hardly a deal-breaker but it does strike me as a little unusual to release a special commemorative edition of a five-year-old game and not throw in everything.

Anyway, to recap: Oblivion Fifth Anniversary on June 12, looking hot. Skyrim on November 11, looking hotter. I think it's safe to say that this is going to be a very good year for Elder Scrolls fans.

See all our coverage directly from the show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3_2011]

Lullabye

Oct 23, 2008
Can't forget this gameplay footage.

So yeah. Game of the year? Probably.

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
The hair textures on those mammoths are very ugly, but that's just nitpicking isn't it?

I cannot wait for Skyrim. It will probably be my most played game of the year, and I'm saving up for a gaming PC so I can play it with mods :)

Apr 28, 2008
Lullabye said:

Seeing a dragon swoop in and pluck up that giant was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

As always, this video sums up my reaction to Skyrim rather nicely:

Well, I'm off to watch the Skyrim trailers over and over again until my eyes bleed. Toodles!

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
I very much like the faces that they've showed us thus far. Looks like unlike in Cyrodil, in Skyrim people are not bludgeoned with the ugly stick upon birth.

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
This looks like it's going to be the sex.
Bek359 said:
I very much like the faces that they've showed us thus far. Looks like unlike in Cyrodil, in Skyrim people are not bludgeoned with the ugly stick upon birth.
While this is a brilliant thing, I must admit I'll be a little miffed if I can't make myself HIDEOUSLY ugly. :D

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Irridium said:
Lullabye said:

Seeing a dragon swoop in and pluck up that giant was one of the greatest things I've ever seen.

As always, this video sums up my reaction to Skyrim rather nicely:

Well, I'm off to watch the Skyrim trailers over and over again until my eyes bleed. Toodles!
That is a solid plan and I endorse it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
As much as I am looking forward to this game, I still find it hilarious how lots of reactions have been "Halo 4? MILKING! New Mario and Zelda games? MILKING! Elder Scrolls 5? OMGFTWORGASMBESTGAMEEVERGREATAWESOMEAMAZING!" Double standards FTW.

Still, I am looking forward to this game. Looks to be REALLY good. REALLY REALLY good.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Mr. Omega said:
As much as I am looking forward to this game, I still find it hilarious how lots of reactions have been "Halo 4? MILKING! New Mario and Zelda games? MILKING! Elder Scrolls 5? OMGFTWORGASMBESTGAMEEVERGREATAWESOMEAMAZING!" Double standards FTW.

Still, I am looking forward to this game. Looks to be REALLY good. REALLY REALLY good.

Yes and no. I imagine Halo 4,5 and 6 will be a lot closer to Halo 3 than Skrim is to Oblivion or Oblivion is to Morrowind.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Lullabye said:

I knew they re-did the graphics and animations but...excuse me...

HOLY FUCK!

*Ahem* that looks frickin awesome! Finally my guy won't float walk...as i call it.

After seeing that i can't wait! Thank you sir!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
you will pay for the horse armour!!!

but other than that yeah!

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Great job Andy.

Addendum designed to avoid the wrath of angry moderators:
I don't think I can go back to Oblivion after playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Having a conversation with one of those creepy cat people is exactly the sort of thing that'd make me frantically search my pack for an anti-material rifle to put the furry abomination out of its misery.

There is more than one way to skin a cat, and my favorite involves a .50 cal shell decapitating the beast at 100 yards.