Bobby Kotick Might Buy Myspace

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Bobby Kotick Might Buy Myspace

Now that Myspace has been placed in the bargain bin (for the low price of $100 million), Bobby Kotick is part of a group that might actually pick it up.

Even after Myspace <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93446-MySpace-Planning-Shift-to-Gaming-Portal>tried to reinvent itself as a gaming portal and cut costs by <a hre=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106954-MySpace-Fires-500-People-By-Soulless-Xerox>laying off 500 employees via Xerox, casual game developers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109393-Zynga-and-Other-Game-Devs-Abandon-MySpace>have been abandoning the social network in droves and nobody has seemed terribly interested in buying the site. However, a potential buyer has finally surfaced, and you're not going to believe who's interested in owning Myspace: Activision's Bobby Kotick.

Back in 2006, the social network was valued at roughly $6 billion, but parent company News Corp is now (reportedly) only asking for $100 million. News Corp has had a few different private equity firms express interest in buying the site, but Kotick is part of a group that is apparently the main bidder:

Bobby Kotick, chief executive of Activision Blizzard Inc., said he had been approached about being part of the investor group but hasn't yet committed. Any investment by him would be personal and small, and Activision wouldn't be involved, he said.

One person familiar with the matter said Mr. Kotick wouldn't take an active management role. Another person cautioned that a deal between the investor group and News Corp. was a "long shot."

The Wall Street Journal is reporting that Kotick hasn't committed to the investment group yet, but other news outlets are claiming he's definitely a part of the group. As a result, it's a little unclear how interested the man actually is in the deal.

Apparently other potential investors have dropped out since they initially expressed interest. This isn't too surprising: In May, Myspace's unique traffic was down almost 50% from the same time last year and the segment of News Corp that operates the site reported a $165 million loss in its most recent financial quarter.

So, what do you think? If Kotick's group does manage to acquire the site -and since Activision has nothing to do with this deal- what do you think will happen to it?

Source: <a href=http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304392704576376131932665442.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>Wall Street Journal

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Kotick is probably the world's biggest troll. I'm not even joking. The man is like a super villain from a comic book.

Most people will probably say 'KOTICK? MYSPACE IS RUINED FOREVER!' but...it was kind of ruined already. Which is why they were selling MySpace...

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Is it just me, or does Kotick look about five times more evil (look at that.. smile, and those.. dark eyes..) than he does in his previously pictures on this site?

Also, it's Myspace. Fuck it, it's not even worth mocking..

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Why do you select the most nightmarish photos of Kotick to terrify me with?

Anyways, Myspace has kind of rock-bottom'd. Maybe Kotick can turn it around.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VuulSbMZdqbuz-mqJWDJwIO2MFLvkplmCH98JSr4QRM2GuUwfypxmfWnQRepEMRzWoFF1X9OkFZd5O55FAM4hFtqEqROLNmNI0fbABSAWpAMKKtp46aqOFWEN2uWdea9xPP0axTiuH3BhF43o7Qgjg-ThZmvCg

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
How is it even worth $100 million...would you pay ANY money to have a dead horse strapped to your back?

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Maybe if we feed shit websites to the Kotick Demon it'll withold it's evil for the time being.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
Hmmmm, to what end... Look at that guy, what nefarious plot does he have in mind for Myspace?

Actually, I don't really care.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Why would you buy a horse that's got a gushing neckwound and is about to die in a few seconds?
Because that's how I see MySpace right now.

They're on their way down, and nothing can save it.

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Brand New to Myspace!

15$ Layout Packs! Includes 3 new layouts, one recycled from an older version of Myspace, and one from Facebook. Get 'em while they still last!

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
I read this title as 'Bobby Kotick Might Burn Myspace'. Clicked on link. Was disappoint.

Anyway, that is rock bottom for Myspace, dropping so much in value. Well, that's business. I would be interested to see what Kotick did with it anyway, Would be good for a giggle, or genuinely intriguing. Win win, I guess.

Shy_Guy

Apr 13, 2009
ShadowsofHope said:
Is it just me, or does Kotick look about five times more evil (look at that.. smile, and those.. dark eyes..) than he does in his previously pictures on this site?

Also, it's Myspace. Fuck it, it's not even worth mocking..
He looks like my old boss. He too was a dick.

Also, fat.

And yeah... Why in the world would anyone want to buy the rapidly declining MySpace? Does anyone actually even use it anymore?

PrinceOfShapeir

Mar 27, 2011
Kotick looks like a clown if the clown was also Lucifer.

But seriously, this might be one of the worst business decisions I've seen in some time.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Myspace? Huh? I know not of what you speak...

In all seriousness....yeh, good luck Bobby, but NO ONE will go back to Myspace as long as Facebook is still here...

I'm just waiting for news that a anonymous source has hacked Facebook...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaany moment now...