Custom Gaming Rig Heralds Robot Apocalypse

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Custom Gaming Rig Heralds Robot Apocalypse

It makes Crysis 2 look amazing, but if you're not careful the Bandi Scarab might just enslave humanity.

Hyperbole aside, the Scarab is the work of Paul Bangdiwala, a man who fears neither machine, nor giant insect (or, apparently, any combination of those two nouns).

Under the hood, the Bandi Scarab boasts some very impressive computer hardware. From Mr. Bangdiwala's description of the beast:

The Bandi Scarab features a powerful AM3 motherboard from ASUS that supports a powerful dual-core AMD Phenom II of 3.0Ghz overclocked to 3.4Ghz (stable) with core-unlocking to 4 cores. Its got DDR3 4GBs memory, a 60Gbs SSD drive for a primary drive and a second 250Gbs drive for storage. The huge fan on top serves as the "eyes" which are a Thermal take duo-orb heat sink. The "teeth" are actually 2 wireless antennas that are specific to the motherboard. As you can see most of the cables are hidden which is to give a clean look. In a couple of days all cables (except the DVI) will be hidden. The PSU is a 550watt Fatal1ty OCZ model.

That's all well and good, but the bigger question lies in the motivation to create a computer that combines the most terrifying aspects of robot and beetle and replaces any weaknesses with exposed whirling fan blades. Mr. Bangdiwala offers no solid explanation, so I'm forced to assume the answer is either "inventive tech geeks don't need a reason to build awesome gadgets" or "intense desire to murder the world."

Whatever the reason for this machine's existence (and against the advice of the worried voices in my head urging me to shack up with Linda Hamilton and build pipe bombs by the dozen), I'm quite impressed by the Bandi Scarab.

It's easy to mod technology by aping popular designs [http://www.geekologie.com/2009/03/game-over-man-game-over-an-ali.php], but creating a machine entirely in the image of a creature so innately antithetical to the natural mammalian form is a truly impressive feat.

Oh, and for those of you with deep pockets and a burning desire for a computer that may or may yes spend its idle hours plotting new and interesting ways to turn your skull into an oil can, Mr. Bangdiwala notes that the Bandi Scarab is up for sale. He offers no pricing details, but if you have to ask you probably can't afford it anyway.

Source: Behance Network [http://www.behance.net/gallery/Bandi-Scarab/1615355]

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
hang on a sec! i think all the pc gamers just passed out! XD

all joking aside, that's a little TOO insane if you ask me...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Don't worry Earnest, it's only got a Phenom II for a brain, in a couple of months it'll be extinct.

What we've really got to watch out for are the ones with bulldozer brains, they've got the crush, kill, destroy mentality before they've evern come out the box!

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
I know almost nothing about building PCs, but how come there's only 4GB of RAM? And also (and i know nothing about this) aren't there better CPUs than 3GHz? or is the fact that it looks like robot what makes this bitchin' cool? :)

th155

Mar 4, 2011
gyroscopeboy said:
I know almost nothing about building PCs, but how come there's only 4GB of RAM? And also (and i know nothing about this) aren't there better CPUs than 3GHz? or is the fact that it looks like robot what makes this bitchin' cool? :)
4 GB is all you will ever need for this current generation of games, though, to future proof mine, i have 8 GB.

CPU's can go over 3 GHz, and the hard cap before they become really unstable is 4.0GHz, again, you really only need a dual core 3.2GHz for this generation of games, but it doesn't hurt to future proof (quad-core 3.5 GHz here)

I'm worried at the fact that it's a dual core, i thought the standard now was quad core... And if he wants to give this computer the power to take over the world, i don't think that a dual core 3.4 is going to cut it.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Forget Crysis 2, maybe you can play Doom 3 on it with high settings, it doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
WTF, this is shitty hardware. Yeah, cool mod, but please don't try passing it off as a "beast" of a PC. Can play Crysis 2? Yeah right, integrated graphics aren't that good. It could play 1080p movies, though... maybe some flash games...

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
th155 said:
gyroscopeboy said:
4 GB is all you will ever need for this current generation of games, though, to future proof mine, i have 8 GB.

CPU's can go over 3 GHz, and the hard cap before they become really unstable is 4.0GHz, again, you really only need a dual core 3.2GHz for this generation of games, but it doesn't hurt to future proof (quad-core 3.5 GHz here)

I'm worried at the fact that it's a dual core, i thought the standard now was quad core... And if he wants to give this computer the power to take over the world, i don't think that a dual core 3.4 is going to cut it.
I'm with you on all of this. The specs for this "system" are completely underwhelming. I thought I had fallen asleep and woke up in 2007(the last time I built a dual core PC). I mean, for a small amount of money, this thing is easy to beat. I have 4 gigs of DDR3-1600, and it kills it, I'm willing to bet this is only DDR3-1333. My quad core cpu is set to 3.4 Ghz right now, but it's quad core and can only go up from where it's at. The HD's are unimpressive as well. And no mention of video cards at all. The only thing remotely cool about this is the case.... kinda.

OT: This kind of inspires me to make my own really cool case. Hmmm, never did that before, how hard can it be.........lolz.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
My 3 year old computer beats that.
2.66Ghz AMD quad core
4GB RAM
1 160Gb harddrive
1 1.5TB harddrive
1 ATI HD4780 1GB graphics card
1 750Watt PSU

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
Gona take that thing out like an imperial walker. Cept I'll use a RC helicopter. No evil computers are gona take me out.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Me: Wow, that's pretty cool. I wonder what funny and interesting comments people will make. *Reads the comments on the thread* .....wow, is a pre-requisite of being a PC gamer a drive for constant dick-measuring and a loss of a sense of fun?

Yes, the tech's outdated, but it's a cool mod. Here's hoping the thing never gains sentience and decide to kill us all.

let's rock

Jun 15, 2011
so, when are they sending one of there back in time to kill Sarah Connor? Or these ones going to uprise and have to be destroyed by Will Smith? Oh wait, please go with the "hook us up to a supercomputer reality", I want to bend the spoon.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I agree that the specs are a bit low (my PC beats that, and it's no beast), but I cannot deny that it's one fine looking machine.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Mr. Omega said:
*Reads the comments on the thread* .....wow, is a pre-requisite of being a PC gamer a drive for constant dick-measuring and a loss of a sense of fun?
I think it's because the specs were described as "very impressive" they're not. A respectable gaming rig (if it had a good dedicated GPU), but on paper that machine would be described as average.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
Well, it might be able to walk, but I wouldn't say it's quite the vidya capable rig.
Xan Krieger said:
My 3 year old computer beats that.
2.66Ghz AMD quad core
4GB RAM
1 160Gb harddrive
1 1.5TB harddrive
1 ATI HD4780 1GB graphics card
1 750Watt PSU
3.2GHz Quad-core AMD Phenom II X4 955
12GB DDR3 RAM (don't ask)
180GB SSD
1TB HDD (plus an additional 1TB external as back-up)
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
800 Watt PSU

All I need now is a decent set of fans (mine at the moment are far too loud), then I should be set for a good few years.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
GLo Jones said:
3.2GHz Quad-core AMD Phenom II X4 955
12GB DDR3 RAM (don't ask)
180GB SSD
1TB HDD (plus an additional 1TB external as back-up)
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

All I need now is a decent set of fans (mine at the moment are far too loud), then I should be set for a good few years.
Intel i7 930 2.8 (OC 4.0)
6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

I know you said don't ask, but why 12 gigs of ram? :p

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
th155 said:
gyroscopeboy said:

Completely depends on what kind of CPU you got.

Mine runs at 4.6ghz and its stable.

overall that is kinda a meh computer at best.