Custom Gaming Rig Heralds Robot Apocalypse

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Christ..this is getting ridiculous. Every single fucking time something involving technology, robotics or AI everyone goes 'hurr durr robotic overlords.'

It's absolutely painful to see it happen, to be honest.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
SamuelT said:
Christ..this is getting ridiculous. Every single fucking time something involving technology, robotics or AI everyone goes 'hurr durr robotic overlords.'

... says the guy who writes the same complaint in every technology article.

That's right chief. We've been keeping records. When the metal ones come for you (and they will), you'll rue the day you pitched this fit.

RUE IT GOOD!

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Tubez said:
th155 said:
gyroscopeboy said:
I know almost nothing about building PCs, but how come there's only 4GB of RAM? And also (and i know nothing about this) aren't there better CPUs than 3GHz? or is the fact that it looks like robot what makes this bitchin' cool? :)
4 GB is all you will ever need for this current generation of games, though, to future proof mine, i have 8 GB.

CPU's can go over 3 GHz, and the hard cap before they become really unstable is 4.0GHz, again, you really only need a dual core 3.2GHz for this generation of games, but it doesn't hurt to future proof (quad-core 3.5 GHz here)

I'm worried at the fact that it's a dual core, i thought the standard now was quad core... And if he wants to give this computer the power to take over the world, i don't think that a dual core 3.4 is going to cut it.
Completely depends on what kind of CPU you got.

Mine runs at 4.6ghz and its stable.

overall that is kinda a meh computer at best.
I'm don't remember which way it goes, but was it AMD cpu's are harder to OC but more stable while intel was easier to OC but generally less stable?

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

That's right chief. We've been keeping records. When the metal ones come for you (and they will), you'll rue the day you pitched this fit.

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

...and I only did it twice

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
Tubez said:
th155 said:
gyroscopeboy said:
I know almost nothing about building PCs, but how come there's only 4GB of RAM? And also (and i know nothing about this) aren't there better CPUs than 3GHz? or is the fact that it looks like robot what makes this bitchin' cool? :)
4 GB is all you will ever need for this current generation of games, though, to future proof mine, i have 8 GB.

CPU's can go over 3 GHz, and the hard cap before they become really unstable is 4.0GHz, again, you really only need a dual core 3.2GHz for this generation of games, but it doesn't hurt to future proof (quad-core 3.5 GHz here)

I'm worried at the fact that it's a dual core, i thought the standard now was quad core... And if he wants to give this computer the power to take over the world, i don't think that a dual core 3.4 is going to cut it.
Completely depends on what kind of CPU you got.

Mine runs at 4.6ghz and its stable.

overall that is kinda a meh computer at best.
I'm don't remember which way it goes, but was it AMD cpu's are harder to OC but more stable while intel was easier to OC but generally less stable?

Well.. Both used to be pretty much the same, but with Sandy bridge Intel is miles ahead on OC considering I helped a friend oc his i7 2600k and with just auto clocking in uefi, it turned up to 4,4ghz.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Tubez said:
Well.. Both used to be pretty much the same, but with Sandy bridge Intel is miles ahead on OC considering I helped a friend oc his i7 2600k and with just auto clocking in uefi, it turned up to 4,4ghz.
I managed to get my i7 930 higher than 4.0 till it started to blue screen on me, so I had to lower it.

MrTub

Mar 12, 2009
WaaghPowa said:
Tubez said:
I managed to get my i7 930 higher than 4.0 till it started to blue screen on me, so I had to lower it.
Well, I'm talking about SB not socket 1366

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
"if you have to ask, you can't afford it"?

Are you kidding? Those specs are relatively ancient. Cool chassis, until you get dust near it.

And whilst we're on the subject

i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz
SLi Palit GTX 580
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
P67 Sabertooth
Silverstone 850W Gold
60GB SSD
2TB HDD

Xorph

Aug 24, 2010
Xan Krieger said:
My 3 year old computer beats that.
2.66Ghz AMD quad core
4GB RAM
1 160Gb harddrive
1 1.5TB harddrive
1 ATI HD4780 1GB graphics card
1 750Watt PSU
lol, my 1st thought (regarding the bug-compy thing) was "Those system specs aren't exactly that good... at all" And you blow it away with a three year old computer XD

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
WaaghPowa said:
GLo Jones said:
3.2GHz Quad-core AMD Phenom II X4 955
12GB DDR3 RAM (don't ask)
180GB SSD
1TB HDD (plus an additional 1TB external as back-up)
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

All I need now is a decent set of fans (mine at the moment are far too loud), then I should be set for a good few years.
Intel i7 930 2.8 (OC 4.0)
6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

I know you said don't ask, but why 12 gigs of ram? :p
Long story short, I ended up receiving 2 sticks of 4GB, and 2 of 2GB, I didn't really want to sell them, and thought 'why the hell not'.
SamuelT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

I brought this point up, like, a year ago. It's the Escapist's default angle on technology articles. I've gotten used to it since then.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
GLo Jones said:
WaaghPowa said:
GLo Jones said:
180GB SSD
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

All I need now is a decent set of fans (mine at the moment are far too loud), then I should be set for a good few years.
6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

Long story short, I ended up receiving 2 sticks of 4GB, and 2 of 2GB, I didn't really want to sell them, and thought 'why the hell not'.
SamuelT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

I brought this point up, like, a year ago. It's the Escapist's default angle on technology articles. I've gotten used to it since then.

but they could do some basic research and see that it isn't actually capable of being considered "advanced" by any technical standpoint.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
TypeSD said:
GLo Jones said:
WaaghPowa said:
GLo Jones said:
180GB SSD
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

SamuelT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

but they could do some basic research and see that it isn't actually capable of being considered "advanced" by any technical standpoint.
The point is that it's a freaking computer made in the form of a scarab! I'm sure technological accuracy can take a back seat in order to have a little fun every now and then.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
GLo Jones said:
TypeSD said:
GLo Jones said:
WaaghPowa said:
GLo Jones said:
180GB SSD
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

SamuelT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

The point is that it's a freaking computer made in the form of a scarab! I'm sure technological accuracy can take a back seat in order to have a little fun every now and then.

"Anything goes as long as it's a good story"? Really? That's what you're clutching at?

Really? The article OPENS with a line about how it can make C2 look amazing, and follows up with the "amazing" hardware under the hood, and caps it off with a "it's really expensive" line.

See, that's all lies. Sure, it may look intersting, but it's Not. Very. Good.

GLo Jones

Activate the Swagger
Feb 13, 2010
TypeSD said:
GLo Jones said:
TypeSD said:
GLo Jones said:
WaaghPowa said:
GLo Jones said:
180GB SSD
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

SamuelT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

"Anything goes as long as it's a good story"? Really? That's what you're clutching at?

Really? The article OPENS with a line about how it can make C2 look amazing, and follows up with the "amazing" hardware under the hood, and caps it off with a "it's really expensive" line.

Bah, I know what you mean.

A large amount of posts here seemed to be attacking the writer, I was simply trying to give some kind of counter-argument.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
GLo Jones said:
TypeSD said:
GLo Jones said:
TypeSD said:
GLo Jones said:
WaaghPowa said:
GLo Jones said:
180GB SSD
Radeon HD 6970 2GB GPU
650 Watt PSU

6GB DDR3 Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 470 x2
750 Watt PSU

SamuelT said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
SamuelT said:

RUE IT GOOD!
IT KEEPS HAPPENING.

Bah, I know what you mean.

A large amount of posts here seemed to be attacking the writer, I was simply trying to give some kind of counter-argument.
Rightly so, the writer makes a big deal out of the wrong thing. the focus should be on "IT LOOKS LIKE A REPLICATOR PROTOTYPE, WE'RE ALL F-"

instead

"ZOMG, HARDWARE IS SO AMAZING"

Which it isn't.

So in my opinion, the criticism of the article is warranted, and by extension, the author.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
gyroscopeboy said:
Well, as noted above, you only really need 4 GB of ram for any games made in this generation. Unless you're folding, any additional RAM is overkill.

As for the CPU, it's a dual-core, so... not really, unless you're willing to shell out 500$ for a gem chip, or are willing to set up a complicated cooling rig for some mad overclocking.

It's neither of those things that damns this to be a mediocre gaming platform, though. It's the fact that it still uses integrated graphics as its GPU. That is fucking inexcusable in a gaming rig.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Umm that Lian Li T1 case has been in the market since April hasn't it? IIRC it is only mini ITX so that might be why the specs are underwhelming. Really I don't see what is so special about this rig, an over the counter case, some average hardware, and some neat cables aren't so special are they?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
TypeSD said:
"if you have to ask, you can't afford it"?

Are you kidding? Those specs are relatively ancient. Cool chassis, until you get dust near it.

And whilst we're on the subject

i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz
SLi Palit GTX 580
8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
P67 Sabertooth
Silverstone 850W Gold
60GB SSD
2TB HDD
....that is amazing.

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
hang on a sec! i think all the pc gamers just passed out! XD

all joking aside, that's a little TOO insane if you ask me...
No not really, I am quite underwhelmed by the machine, the case is a test bed case lian li have had on the market for ages and is designed for testing and diagnosing trouble computers. As for the components they aren't exactly that new or powerful. Also by the looks of things its just using the on board graphics chip. Far from making crysis 2 look good, let alone run at a playable frame rate.