Less Crime in U.S. Thanks to Videogames

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Less Crime in U.S. Thanks to Videogames

The rate of crime in the United States has dwindled in the last 20 years while gaming has increased.

Conservatives and hate-mongers like Jack Thompson [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/jack+thompson] always point to videogames as the root of all violence and evil in this world. After all, it makes a certain amount of sense in small minds that participating in violent games might lead to actual acts of violence. If that were truly the case, the rise of more realistic games would have lead to an increase in violence across all lines of American society. Modern Warfare 2 sold more than 10 million copies, there should be 10 million more murders out there. The evidence, however, shows that violent crime has actually decreased in America since 1991. You know what didn't exist in 1991? The first-person shooter.

In a report on the BBC website, writer Tom Geoghegan posits several reasons why crime has lessened in the States from better police work to, sadly, the greater frequency of legal abortions for poor women. But reason number nine on the list? The growing popularity of videogames.

"A study released last month suggested videogames were keeping young people off the streets and therefore away from crime," wrote Geoghegan. "Researchers in Texas working with the Centre for European Economic Research said this 'incapacitation effect' more than offset any direct impact the content of the games may have had in encouraging violent behavior."

The paper cited was written by Michael Ward, an economist at the University of Texas at Arlington. In "Understanding the Effects of Violent Videogames on Violent Crime [http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1804959]," Ward and his colleagues argue that all the studies saying that games cause aggressive violence are bunk.

"To many in this field, it is logical to assume that if exposure to violent media causes aggression in the lab, that it will therefore cause aggression when exposure occurs non-randomly outside the laboratory, including other outcomes associated with aggression, such as crime and violence," Ward writes.

"We argue that since laboratory experiments have not examined the time use effects of videogames, which incapacitate violent activity by drawing individual gamers into extended gameplay, laboratory studies may be poor predictors of the net effects of violent videogames in society. Consequently, they overstate the importance of videogame induced aggression as a social cost."

Ward goes on to say any possible short term "aggression" that videogames may elicit is mitigated by the time it takes to play them. Basically, if you are playing Manhunt, you probably don't have enough time to plan a real one.

"We find that the social costs of violent videogames may be considerably lower, or even non-existent, once one incorporates the time use effect into analysis," Ward said. "Insofar as our findings suggest that the operating mechanism by which violent gameplay causes crime to fall is the gameplay itself, and not the violence, then regulations should be carefully designed so as to avoid inadvertently reducing the time intensity, or the appeal, of videogames."

Based on this paper, the people who think that regulating videogames may help society and decrease crime might actually make murder more prevalent by limiting the supply of games to our youth. Think about the delicious irony there.

I wish the findings of this paper were available for the Supreme Court Justices as they debate whether California's law making it a crime to sell M-rated games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_281/8356-Battlefield-Washington] to minors is constitutional or not. Here's hoping the Justices are doing their homework and reading The Escapist. :)

Source: Understanding the Effects of Violent VideoGames on Violent Crime [http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13799616]"

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Greg Tito said:
...Conservatives and hate-mongerers...
I dislike the bias against conservatives there. No offense, but that almost turned me off the article, seeing that I'm kind of conservative myself (usually, though, I call my beliefs "my beliefs" rather than conservative, since I wouldn't join a party that would have me as a member.) Being a conservative doesn't mean you hate videogames. Hell, I don't support any restrictions on them. (Ahem, I'll stop now, before this turns into a rant.)

On topic: I'm glad to see that research is starting to support the other side of the "video games cause violence" thing. I was starting to think the media might have given up on giving us gamers a fair chance. Maybe now, they'll start at least considering that they could be wrong.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Media wouldn't go for something like this if President Obama himself played video games.

Oh wait! Witcher 2...

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
This is good news :D

It's just a shame most people will never notice this information or pay attention to it, so video games will unfortunately get just as much hate as they have been getting...

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
meh, violence in real life's too much work... and has real world consequences blah, blah, blah...

RandomMab

Jul 9, 2010
As nice as this is, it's important to remember correlation does not equate causation.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I was literally about to post this. Talk about weird timing.

Apr 28, 2008
Plus, games make people fat, lazy slobs apparently. Getting up to murder someone is just too much work.

[sub][sub][sub][sub][sub][sub]No I'm not serious, calm down.[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
Sadly, I agree this is just gonna be passed by by the media . . . it seems the mass media at large are simply in the buisness of selling fear, and that's all people are buying up. Stories like this don't support their typical "product," and it wouldn't interest the public at large.

Give it time, this scapegoat has about run its course - it's nearing the time for the media to move onto other fry-fish.

carpenter20m

Nov 9, 2009
RandomMab says it true: http://xkcd.com/552/

Also: I can't see how this is good news. It's not like it says that games draw people away from violence because they can make them more tolerant or they can release their anger through them. It says that young people don't turn to crime because they don't have time and do nothing to refute the studies showing that people become more violent through games: "Oh, yes, these studies might or might not be true, but it doesn't matter because people don't have the time to commit crimes".

Can't you see what's wrong with this? If you don't have the time to commit crimes, it means that you don't have the time to do other things as well, some of which are beneficial: go out, make friends, socialize, volunteer, whatever.

The fact that games take away your time is an argument against games, not for them. Playing games should be seen as a leisurely activity, running in parallel with other aspects of our lives.

In any case, that's how I see it. Am I the only one who doesn't see this as good news?

Yoshisummons

Aug 10, 2010
Correlation does not mean causation, saying you have an Economist to argue your side is like going down the street asking for someone to agree with you to prove a point. For every economist there is an equal and opposite economist. Do not let your unfounded insecurities in enjoying games to scrap the bottom of the barrel to find other people's justifications to prove what you want to prove.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
The declining crime rate paired with video games is pretty hilarious, and certainly an argument against extreme alarmist, but we need to remember that Correlation is not Causation. Video games probably have 0 effect on crime, and we should not abandon out scientific objectivity in favor of pushing our agenda. That's what people like Jack Thompson do.

I do, however, GREATLY appreciate the effort gone to to point out the lack of external validity in aggression studies: Most video game and violence studies are not experimental, and likely draw a connection between lonely, angry, already violent individuals having no outlet except games. Those few that are experimental make no distinction between aggression in a lab and real life aggression, which is ludicrous at best. Now, I just want to hear someone ask about the increased level of aggression post video game versus, for example, post football game. I think that after a tense sporting game, the sports fans are probably a little bit more prone to violence then someone finishing a round of Starcraft.

Prince Regent

Dec 9, 2007
TheAceTheOne said:
Greg Tito said:
I dislike the bias against conservatives there.
I agree, it's a hasty genaralisation and it shouldn't be in the main article. Though personaly I do think the two overlap from time to time, but that's an opinion best reserved for the comment section. ;)

OT: Good to see that gaming is doing some good in the world. Though now that there is reasearch to suggest gaming keeps kids "of the streets" my guess is that there could be one between gaming and drug use to pass the time as well.

If there is it would probably be cheaper to go and buy your kid Skyrim then to make it go to rehab.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
Prince Regent said:
TheAceTheOne said:
Greg Tito said:
I dislike the bias against conservatives there.
I agree, it's a hasty genaralisation and it shouldn't be in the main article. Though personaly I do think the two overlap from time to time, but that's an opinion best reserved for the comment section...

...if there is, it might be cheaper to buy your kid Skyrim than send it to rehab
Lol, when I saw the "You have been quoted", I was expecting a flame war to have started because of what I said, not support~ Thanks, person! :D

Prince Regent said:
...if there is, it might be cheaper to buy your kid Skyrim than send it to rehab.
I'm gonna need rehab *for* Skyrim, haha

(Sorry for the inexact quote.)

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
As much as it supports video games, I am dubious. We treat anti-gaming studies with suspicion, so I'd do the same here, especially as they don't cite exact evidence or correlation.

However, I think we can all agree that sociopathic killers, muggers, and gang members tend to get that way through a poor social experience; hating cops, hating classmates, hating everyone. Games bring people together, which not only makes the case for video games, but also that we should heavily focus on multiplayer and community-based games...UNLIKE what a certain fast-talking British-Australian believes.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Is this a news article or a blog post? I'm thinking the latter, since it opens with vitriolic rambling & then proceeds to do what every anti-gamer gets bashed for: latching onto one study that suggests a correlation under certain circumstances using incomplete data, & proclaims it to prove the insurmountable truth.

Also, you appear to have misread the concluding paragraph, as:

Based on this paper, the people who think that regulating videogames may help society and decrease crime might actually make murder more prevalent by limiting the supply of games to our youth. Think about the delicious irony there.
appears to be derived from the closing paragraph:

page 25-26 said:
Our findings also suggest unique challenges to game regulations. Because GAM
proposes that the individual playing violent video games is developing, accidentally, a biased
hermeneutic towards people wherein they believe they are in danger, then the decrease in
violent outcomes that we observe in our study ? the incapacitation effect from time use ? may
be masking the long-run harm to society if these violent behaviors are developing within
gamers. This suggests that regulation aimed at reducing violent imagery and content in games
could in the long-run reduce the aggression capital stock among gamers, but potentially also
cause crime to increase in the short-run if the marginal player is being drawn out of violent
activities. This may be too costly a tradeoff, and may not pass any cost-benefit test. But
another possibility is that individuals who play games could be regularly taught to recognize
these errors in their framing of situations, which theoretically would reduce the aggressive
capital and thus reduce any negative outcome that is determined by the amount of aggression
the person has built up, without losing the short-run gains from crime reduction.
In said paragraph, they are hypothesizing that violent videogame exposure over a prolonged period, if not countered through educational or other means, could lead to an increase in violent crime in the long term. But banning games to counter this long term increase would have the effect of increasing violent crime in the short term, as those with violent tendencies would no longer have an alternate time sink to channel their aggression through. There point is not "lol noobs gaming doesn't do no harm to me dawg" but that there is no net cost benefit, & potentially a net loss, to society in its attempts to reduce violent crime rates if games were to be banned.