Alice Madness Returns Review

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
The visuals seem absolutely amazing. I'm gonna pick up this game just for that alone.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Seriously?

Well... I certainly did not see that one coming.

Agree with most of your points though.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
3 and a half stars seems fair.
Reveras said:
The visuals seem absolutely amazing. I'm gonna pick up this game just for that alone.
Likewise. Visuals were muuuch better than I expected.

Poem is great by the way!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
InterAirplay said:
How can you have gears turning in lava? wouldn't they just heat up and change shape/melt and completely fuck up the mechanism they're a part of?
You realize this is a game with a talking cat, a girl who can shrink at will, and a teapot that shoots grenades, yeah? Realism, not exactly the first order of business in Alice. :)

Panzervaughn

Jul 19, 2009
the logic of unmelting gears
is not such a long shot
if theyre forged of a alloy
that needs it much more hot.
like when you cook upon a stove
you're still left with a pot.

upon the last rythmic line
wherein was placed the rating
i did legitimately smile
there was no trace of hating.
the wit that was presented there
makes me think of mating.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
It looks absolutely GORGEOUS on my PC, which isn't even that high-end. I don't usually play these kind of games so most of the mechanics aren't that boring to me yet. Love this game!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
That's a damned clever review, what prompted the verse?
It's such a shame, this game could have been so much better. It's got all the story elements and settings to be a masterpiece, but falls short on execution.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Thank you very much for that, Steve. The Escapists' own Poet Laureate.

This is my favorite game of the year so far. Simplistic? Hell yes it is, but I don't care. I've missed the heyday of the (3D) platformer and I just think its a joy to jump around (and then dodge just before Alice lands). Beautiful game, crazy story and characters, fun platforming...I love it.

There is no nobler achievement in game design than making the process of getting from point A to point B entertaining.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Good review. I'd say the environments and storytelling carried me through one playthrough without ever getting bored, so the Butts' warning that I might get bored halfway through didn't apply, at least in my case.

A little disappointed that it was linear (and that painting the rose led to such a boring reward), but overall well worth playing.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Excellent review!

The video is not showing up for me in the review itself, I just have a large black box. I can access the video directly but when I click it to play I get the same black box.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
Sounds like an aesthetic that would be right up my alley. Having not played the first game, would I be able to jump right into this one?

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Steve Butts said:
GeorgW said:
It's a game based on Alice, so writing the review in in ballad style just felt right.
Well, I'm impressed. This kind of cleverness is why I love the Escapist. Did it take you long?

Scabadus

Wrote Some Words
Jul 16, 2009
Panzervaughn said:
upon the last rythmic line
wherein was placed the rating
i did legitimately smile
there was no trace of hating.
the wit that was presented there
makes me think of mating.
You have a very odd method of forplay.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Steve Butts said:
GeorgW said:
It's a game based on Alice, so writing the review in in ballad style just felt right.
He-hey A chance to give my personal Kodus! Well done, man. That was a great review.

It highlighted to me how much I suck at poetry when it took my three whole verses to figure out the tune.