Notch Delays Minecraft Adventure Update

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Notch Delays Minecraft Adventure Update

Players will be playing with pistons soon, but unfortunately, it will be a while before they're exploring underground ravines.

Minecraft creator Magnus "Notch" Persson says that the upcoming 1.7 update, which was supposed to be the "Adventure Update," which was supposed to add underground ravines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111218-Notch-Excavates-Underground-Ravines-in-Minecraft], flying around on clouds [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111296-Ride-On-a-Cloud-in-Minecrafts-Adventure-Update], and a host of other features, will not be coming out for while, or at least, not in the form that players were expecting.

Writing on his blog, Notch said that the scope of the Adventure Update was getting bigger and bigger and that he didn't think that it would be finished anytime soon. However, rather than keep players waiting for an update, the adventure content is being hived off into a future update, and 1.7 will contain pistons as well as a number of bug fixes. Notch didn't give a timetable for when the 1.8 update would come out, just saying it that it would be finished when it was finished.

Post-1.8, Notch said the focus would be on getting the game ready for its "proper" release, which he said would be around the week after November 11th. He said that he and his team at Mojang would be working on improving performance, integrating single player and multiplayer, getting the mod API right, and generally added extra polish to the game.

Source: The Word of Notch [http://notch.tumblr.com/post/6969771554/back-in-the-office-and-some-words-on-1-7-and-1-8]

Zarthek

Apr 12, 2009
Got the feeling that Notch starts getting shakes if he doesn't release updates in a certain timeframe.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
Notch has been reading 'The Big Book of Time Keeping' by Valve.
Can't wait for the big update though!

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Zarthek said:
Got the feeling that Notch starts getting shakes if he doesn't release updates in a certain timeframe.
I think Notch will be the death of Minecraft. In all honesty, since the "game" has been made available, he's done next to nothing. The survival mode is a joke and has been left in the dust; it's extremely easy and offers no real gameplay beyond a sandpit, eliminating the entire point of the mode. The multiplayer servers consist almost entirely with modded specs, including textures, items, animals and NPCs, all of which are made by the community with no input from Notch.

If Notch let the program go and gave it to someone else, I think it would be for the best. Maybe they could actually get something done.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
Zarthek said:
I think Notch will be the death of Minecraft. In all honesty, since the "game" has been made available, he's done next to nothing. The survival mode is a joke and has been left in the dust; it's extremely easy and offers no real gameplay beyond a sandpit, eliminating the entire point of the mode. The multiplayer servers consist almost entirely with modded specs, including textures, items, animals and NPCs, all of which are made by the community with no input from Notch.

If Notch let the program go and gave it to someone else, I think it would be for the best. Maybe they could actually get something done.
First off, he's done plenty. The game has had a tonne of stuff added to it since its first ever Alpha release.

Second, get it out of your head that Survival Mode means Bear Grylls Simulator. The survival part just refers to the fact that monsters spawn, and that you can now die and therefore need to be careful.

Finally, the modding community always seemingly gets more done, because mods can cater to specific tastes, while the vanilla game has to try and cater to everyone who plays.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
Mantonio said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
Zarthek said:

First off, he's done plenty. The game has had a tonne of stuff added to it since its first ever Alpha release.

Second, get it out of your head that Survival Mode means Bear Grylls Simulator. The survival part just refers to the fact that monsters spawn, and that you can now die and therefore need to be careful.

Finally, the modding community always seemingly gets more done, because mods can cater to specific tastes, while the vanilla game has to try and cater to everyone who plays.
He's done some. Not plenty. I've no doubt in the world that other people could have done everything he's done in a much shorter time span and more effectively.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
It's not a delay, it's an early release of the pistons. The adventure update has always been a long way off. It was probably a mistake to call it 1.7 though..

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
GHudston said:
It's not a delay, it's an early release of the pistons. The adventure update has always been a long way off. It was probably a mistake to call it 1.7 though..
Ya, I don't see how it can be considered a delay of the adventure update when there wasn't ever really a time frame for the adventure update other then "a long way off". It's basically just Notch and the minecraft team giving us something that people want instead of holding off on it and giving it out whenever the adventure update hits.

John the Gamer

May 2, 2010
You bastards. I beat you guys too it you know;
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.296878-Minecrafts-Adventure-Update

Me: 27 June 2011 12:05 pm
You: 27 June 2011 5:59 pm

So there. Slowpokes.
I know it's probably the whole time-zones thing, but this ain't fair.

Minecraft is, however, still awesome. Whether Notch delays it or not.

Flux07

Oct 19, 2008
Minecraft creator Magnus "Notch" Persson says that the upcoming 1.7 update
He is called Markus, not Magnus, but anyway atleast he is releasing Pistons soonish. ^_^

CounterAttack

A Writer With Many Faces
Dec 25, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Post-1.8, Notch said the focus would be on getting the game ready for its "proper" release, which he said would be around the week after November 11th. He said that he and his team at Mojang would be working on improving performance, integrating single player and multiplayer, getting the mod API right, and generally added extra polish to the game.
Anything, anything at all, about fixing some of the bugs or making the game easier to run on weaker PCs? 'Cause if that were the case, I would enjoy Minecraft a heck of a lot more.

CountChopula

Jul 25, 2009
Snowy Rainbow said:
Mantonio said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
Zarthek said:

He's done some. Not plenty. I've no doubt in the world that other people could have done everything he's done in a much shorter time span and more effectively.
Ok so you backtrack on your own comment, and t hen make some sort of hyperbolic statement. You know what, someone could have made it faster, and probably even more effectively, but no one has, until Notch. And if he hadn't you wouldn't even be bringing this statement up.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Careful notch, learn the lessons of your friend Peter Molyneux. If you dream too big and share you ideas too freely you can wind up with regrets.

MajorDolphin

Apr 26, 2011
You guys should be grateful. If he took a note from the current state of the gaming industry then he'd just slap pistons into the game, call it complete and then charge you an arm and a leg for the adventure "DLC".

nicoca

Nov 11, 2009
He never gave a release date for the adventure update. How can he delay it?

All he has done (will do) is release something early and change an semi-arbitrary number.

People will find any reason to complain.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
The update was never delayed or pushed back, they just decided to release the pistons ahead of the rest of the update, pushing the actual patch behind in NUMBER ONLY, not in time.

renzozuken2002

Apr 9, 2010
Snowy Rainbow said:
Mantonio said:
Snowy Rainbow said:
Zarthek said:

Indeed, the community gets things done hundred of times faster than Notch, you could almost say the it was made up of thousands of people.
owait...

Your not looking at this at a logical point, the community gets it done faster because, as you may have guessed, there are thousands of people working on it. Too call Notch out simply because he doesn't have the manpower to match the populous of the world is a bit ridiculous.
Notch is the only person that should work on this game, he's the only one that could give it the love it deserves.

Snowy Rainbow

Jun 13, 2011
CountChopula said:
Ok so you backtrack on your own comment, and t hen make some sort of hyperbolic statement. You know what, someone could have made it faster, and probably even more effectively, but no one has, until Notch. And if he hadn't you wouldn't even be bringing this statement up.
No. No I didn't backtrack. I said he's done very little the first time and I said it the second time. Synonyms are not backflips.

And your second point is... pointless. Someone comes along and does a poor job at something, but they were the first to do it? And? I fail to see how they get a free pass at doing a job poorly.