Capcom Won't Make Resident Evil Save Data Mistake Twice

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom Won't Make Resident Evil Save Data Mistake Twice

Capcom will likely give players the ability to erase game saves in future titles after the controversy over Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D.

When players noticed that game saves couldn't be erased in denied [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Mercenaries-Nintendo-3DS/dp/B002I0GKA4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309804239&sr=8-1] the accusation, it says that it probably won't make the same mistake again.

The premise of the theory was that nobody would want to buy Mercenaries 3D used, because they would only be able to play someone else's game and not their own. We all know that's pretty much no fun at all, even if a title has replay value. Some retailers are even denying Mercenaries 3D as a trade-in [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111368-UK-Retailer-Says-No-to-Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries-Trade-Ins].

In a live chat, Capcom VP Christian Svensson explained that future titles will allow players to delete their saves. He reiterated that there was no "malicious intent," but added: "I think it's also fair to say that in light of the controversy it's generated, I don't think you're going to see something like this happening again."

It's not like Mercenaries 3D is the first cartridge-based game without the ability to erase game saves, but it's extremely rare in my experience, and these games usually don't have the name recognition of a Resident Evil title. Being able to erase your games from a cartridge is something you could do all the way back on the NES (and earlier?), and I'm pretty sure it might even be written into the Constitution. At least gamers have shown Capcom, and every other developer, that this is not the proper way to fight used sales.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.capcom-unity.com/snow_infernus/blog/2011/07/01/ask_capcom_live_today:_ask_us_your_questions]

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
He reiterated that there was no "malicious intent," but added: "I think it's also fair to say that in light of the controversy it's generated, I don't think you're going to see something like this happening again."
Translated from corpspeak to human: This was a really good way for us to screw consumers and make more money. I'm sorry we got called out on this, let me pretend it wasn't on purpose.

Bewteen this and always online required DRM for console games its like Capcom is having a contest with Ubisoft to see who can screw customers more.

JackandTom

Nov 17, 2010
I think it was a bad idea to start with but i'm really enjoying The Mercenaries and it didn't stop me buying it.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
So does this mean that when the game doesn't sell and batch #2 of the cartridges are made that they will take this function (or rather, lack of a function) out?

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
It's not like Mercenaries 3D is the first cartridge-based game without the ability to erase game saves, but it's extremely rare in my experience, and these games usually don't have the name recognition of a Resident Evil title.
This whole "no save erase" thing is an entirely new concept to me and I've been playing since the nes. What other games had this nonfunction, anyone know(not counting high score erasing, plenty of games don't allow clearing that)?

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
Hear hear. What a shockingly bad decision from Capcom to start with. You could never lend it to a friend for a start. Even for a hermit like me who probably wouldn't lend it out it'd be inconvenient. I use more than one save slot for one playthrough in case I make a mistake and have to backtrack, I wouldn't be able to do that with this game. Sounds like Revelations won't be the same, thankfully, and that's the one I'm looking forward to.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Game companies already have a viable way to get rid of the used game market, and that's digital downloads. It has been proven to be successful, at least for non-preordered games and special editions.

Too bad the assholes at Microshit feel the need to quadruple the going rate for their proprietary hard drives, because god forbid they allow you to use your own. And you can't even get more hard drive space on their newer consoles.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Why the hell don't they do any QA? All they do is waste their time, money and piss off people.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Fronzel said:
At least gamers have shown Capcom, and every other developer, that this is not the proper way to fight used sales.
There is no proper way to fight used sales. Hands off.
I dunno, more benefits to people who pre-order or who buy new such as free posters, keychains, other knick-knacks, would be a good way for brick and mortar stores.

For digital distributors they could do like the makers of STALKER did; when STALKER: Call of Pripyat launched, it came with a discount of $15 from the first day of sales onwards if you owned the previous titles in the series. It was a big pat on the back to not only purchasers of new--rather than used--titles, but also a significant "thank you" to fans for sticking with the series. Which is a rather impressive thing, considering normally the most dedicated fans are the ones paying the most, when they buy day one, with new copies (not used), before all the sales and discounts hit.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Though the ***** fit the save thing for this game caused was largely unwarranted, at least Capcom is a company that listens to it's 'fans'.

starwarsgeek

Nov 30, 2009
Podunk said:
Though the ***** fit the save thing for this game caused was largely unwarranted, at least Capcom is a company that listens to it's 'fans'.
This >_>

The argument that this was to combat used sales didn't make sense. Granted, there doesn't seem to be a real point to the way this game handles saving, but if they wanted to cut down on used sales, it would have been something closer to "Project Ten Dollar".

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
-Dragmire- said:
Tom Goldman said:
It's not like Mercenaries 3D is the first cartridge-based game without the ability to erase game saves, but it's extremely rare in my experience, and these games usually don't have the name recognition of a Resident Evil title.
This whole "no save erase" thing is an entirely new concept to me and I've been playing since the nes. What other games had this nonfunction, anyone know(not counting high score erasing, plenty of games don't allow clearing that)?
You...You do realize that that's the case here, right? That the only thing the game 'saves' is high scores? It's an arcade-style game. (There may be some unlockables, I guess. All Resident Evil games have a few super weapons, I think.)

Besides, most of the old games I played as a wee bean sprout didn't let you delete the save file. The only one I can remember by name is Dragonball Z: Supersonic Warriors, but yeah...it's not new, and it really isn't rare once you get back to the days when handhelds were just starting to get big.

galaxygamer

May 23, 2008
Actually...this isn't new to me. I have a few Nintendo DS games that don't have "erase game file" options; they are the RPGs I own. Those games are the "Etrian Odyssey" games. But yes, I can see how this would be another cog in the bull$hit anti-used game sales machine.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
"won't make the same mistake twice"

Unfortunately, Capcom, you are the only company that did it once.

Karthek

Feb 26, 2009
While we are on the subject of Capcom not making the same dipshit mistake twice...
NO MORE 9 SLOT INVENTORY FOR RESIDENT EVIL YOU RETARDS! Stick with the attache case for the love of god!

LightningBanks

Apr 15, 2009
Treblaine said:
"won't make the same mistake twice"

Unfortunately, Capcom, you are the only company that did it once.
TBh, although Im enjoying it, capcom seem to have cut corners throughout the whole of the game.

My friends think its so they can focus on revelations

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Good that they got it out of their system now and not do it on a good game.
Also, this is Capcom. All they do is repeating mistakes, so we'll see...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rembrandtqeinstein said:
He reiterated that there was no "malicious intent," but added: "I think it's also fair to say that in light of the controversy it's generated, I don't think you're going to see something like this happening again."
Translated from corpspeak to human: This was a really good way for us to screw consumers and make more money. I'm sorry we got called out on this, let me pretend it wasn't on purpose.

Bewteen this and always online required DRM for console games its like Capcom is having a contest with Ubisoft to see who can screw customers more.
You forgot the rest: We probably won't do it again, unless we can figure out a way to sneak it past yu consumers, because you are all criminals.