The Best Final Fantasy Stop-Motion Animation You'll See Today

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
The Best Final Fantasy Stop-Motion Animation You'll See Today

Sephiroth: The World's Enemy is perfect Final Fantasy fan service.

Can I be honest with you guys?

I'm a little burned out on the whole "Final Fantasy VII is the best thing since Jesus created the Chocobo" thing.

I mean, yeah, I played the game when I was a teenager, and it was a great roleplaying title, but did it really warrant two decades of people gushing uncontrollably over a silver-haired, Eurotrash proto-goth?

That's the cynical mindset I had when I watched Sephiroth: The World's Enemy this morning. The video is a stop-motion animation created by amateur film maker John Huang. Previously, Huang created stop-motion flicks based on a Mega -- er, that is, Gundam-meets-Dragon Ball theme [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEudCCPeVo0&feature=player_embedded].

Presumably he subsists entirely on a diet of geeks wetting themselves with delight.

Caveat: Huang is not a native English speaker. Even with the language barrier, the films are still surprisingly rad, though I have to assume that those who speak Japanese may be getting more out of this than I am.

That said, why isn't Huang employed to make films professionally? He's creating these things solo, at a rate of about one every two months, and the end result looks better than most Hollywood stop-motion efforts.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5818426/final-fantasy-vii-stop-motion-is-eight-minutes-of-holy-shit/gallery/1]

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
That....is one of the greatest things ive ever seen.

Great job on this

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Think what this guy could do with some real money backing him! I hope someone picks this guy up and gives him a job! He'd do amazing things.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That was pretty amazing. Stop-motion is always so neat to watch because of all the effort that goes into it.

Question. Isn't Sephiroth left handed in Final Fantasy VII?

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Very cleverly done. Loved the damage to their surroundings and hope he doesn't need to retile the floor.

Earnest Cavalli said:
Somewhere, the ghost of Ray Harryhausen is nodding approvingly.
'Somewhere' presumably being London, where Mr. Harryhausen still lives (aged 91)

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I wasn't impressed by the fighting very much. At all. But goddamn, the sheer smoothness of the frames is incredible. If only this guy worked on Robot Chicken.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I've seen a lot of this guys stuff, he is rather good. I personally prefer Final Fantasy VII on the basis that it's the only Final Fantasy game I could play through all the way.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
o_O

That is the second most impressive stop motion animation made by a single person I have ever seen...

Jou

Dec 9, 2007
Earnest Cavalli said:
Caveat: Huang is not a native English speaker. Even with the language barrier, the films are still surprisingly rad, though I have to assume that those who speak Japanese may be getting more out of this than I am.
He isn't a native Japanese speaker either. He is just using lines translated in the movie to make dialog, so a lot of it doesn't match up properly. ie: "Moshi moshi" is not a greeting to be made in person. But I am guessing the dialog options were slim since the only source he could pull from is advent children.

ThisIsSnake

Mar 3, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
That was pretty amazing. Stop-motion is always so neat to watch because of all the effort that goes into it.

Question. Isn't Sephiroth left handed in Final Fantasy VII?
Yes he is, that is why Cloud was able to beat him this time.

William MacKay

Oct 26, 2010
8U. thats basically my face right now. stop-motion animation is really hard and requires a lot of patience (i tried it with my friends, we quit after an hour). that is epic.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
That was awesome, thought it did get a little weird with Aries dying and after the fight....just a little weird

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
something to note, he was doing fairly well without visibly equipped materia(though really it should have been a gold/amber gem for him to get a power boost since green is support magic)
awesome animation overall

Syntax Error

Sep 7, 2008
This was AWESOME!!!

Seriously though, it's a testament to the guys skills, and the quality of SE's line of action figures.