Next Transformers Film Won't Be A Reboot

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Next Transformers Film Won't Be A Reboot

We're not sure if this is good or bad news.

It seems like once a movie trilogy is completed, the next step is to start working on a reboot of the film franchise. Thus, there's been a ton of speculation about where the Transformers movies are headed, now that Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/3634-Transformers-Dark-of-the-Moon>has blown into theaters. However, film producer Don Murphy has revealed that a reboot isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Murphy recently commented on the subject within his personal website's forums:

"What happens next? Certainly not a reboot. We haven't lost the Transformers. They didn't grow up or become expensive like Toby Maguire. I don't know what happens next. I'm pretty sure there will be a second trilogy. I am pretty sure it will kick ass. And I am pretty sure some of you will hate it because it wasn't all bots."

Shia Labeouf and Michael Bay have both stated that they're not coming back for another Transformers movie because ... well, let's be honest, Bay can make money hand-over-fist no matter what he does and he's bored making movies based on toys (though Labeouf's days are probably numbered, <a href=http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/05/shia-labeouf-wall-street-2-indiana-jones-steven-spielberg.html>seeing as how he helped make Indiana Jones seem uncool).

So, at the moment here's what we know about the next Transformers movie, which is undoubtedly already in the works since it's already made back twice its production budget: It won't be a reboot, it won't have Michael Bay helming it, and "douchebag Peter Parker" won't be in it. That said, die-hard transformers fans will probably hate it anyway, based on Murphy's last line.

Source: <a href=http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthread.php?t=36267>Don Murphy via <a href=http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=41208>Comic Book Movie

Pebsy

Jun 12, 2008
Quiet Stranger said:
Wasn't? As in past tense? So the second trilogy already happened? geez, where the hell was I?
not missing out on much I would think, to be fair though, I did like dark of the moon for what it was worth, just leave your brain at the door and its good to sit through and watch explosions and stuff for an hour

Schmittler

Aug 4, 2010
Wha? What?

Where do they even go from there? They could do a prequel, but that would contradict the whole "It won't be all bots" thing. The ending seemed pretty final, does anyone else feel the same way?

unicron44

Oct 12, 2010
So the main complaint of the Transformers movies was there wasn't enough Transformers, but the producers comes out and says it will just be more of the same. Whatever it will make money, just not mine.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I never understood the whole "not enough robots" complaint. The movie happens on Earth, and is about a young man that happens to discover a robot alien, and his adventures that follow. It isn't about a bunch of giant robots fighting each other. That's the sub plot, and I think that it was worked into the movie well.

Having just seen Transformers 3 about an hour ago, I can safely say that I don't know where they'd go with it. The ending seemed pretty final, and I'm not sure what they could to top this one. It was freaking amazing.

Veloxe

Oct 5, 2010
Schmittler said:
Wha? What?

Where do they even go from there? They could do a prequel, but that would contradict the whole "It won't be all bots" thing. The ending seemed pretty final, does anyone else feel the same way?
Ya I'm not entirely sure where to go from there. Although they could just pull Unicron out of their asses I suppose, wasn't there talk about a separate trilogy about Unicron way back after the first movie had come out? But if they did that they would have to make at least 1 of the movies about mostly bots. Unless they have some crap figured out like Sam's son will defeat Unicron with the Matrix or something...oh god, need to stop thinking about it.

monnes

Sep 23, 2009
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the whole "not enough robots" complaint. The movie happens on Earth, and is about a young man that happens to discover a robot alien, and his adventures that follow. It isn't about a bunch of giant robots fighting each other. That's the sub plot
Well that's the problem. I would have to say that a Transformers film based on Transformer toys shouldn't make the Transformers the subplot.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the whole "not enough robots" complaint. The movie happens on Earth, and is about a young man that happens to discover a robot alien, and his adventures that follow. It isn't about a bunch of giant robots fighting each other. That's the sub plot, and I think that it was worked into the movie well.

Having just seen Transformers 3 about an hour ago, I can safely say that I don't know where they'd go with it. The ending seemed pretty final, and I'm not sure what they could to top this one. It was freaking amazing.
That's the problem people had with it.
The movie is called Transformers. They wanted a movie about the Transformers, and not some bratty kid who wants to get laid.
War for Cybertron and all that. That should have been written as the main plot and Sam as the side character.

That would justify the "leave your brain at the door" argument for me. Sadly I have to sit through 2 hours of fluff and awful masturbation jokes. Not worth it.

EverythingIncredible said:
It's good to show contempt for your audience.

*sigh*

The only advice I can offer is to pick an audience and stick with it. Stop trying to appeal as both a comedy movie and an action one. Because then your movie is good at neither. Just ask the people behind The Phantom Menace.
They couldn't hear us due to the mountains of money they made blocking the way.

koroem

Jul 12, 2010
Schmittler said:
Wha? What?

Nope. They could go into the Unicron saga. This could also lead the resurrection of Megatron as Galvatron. The Matrix of Leadership which Optimus now has in the movies was a key part of a Unicron saga. It could be reimagined for the movies.

Also they could introduce dark energon to the movies. Dark energon has the power to corrupt and mutate Transformers, and in a couple of plots Megatron used it to create armies or corrupt Cybertron itself. It is some pretty powerful stuff in the TF universe, and Megatron was one of the only surviving Transformers able to control it. Perhaps they could use that to bring Megatron back somehow for more.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
EverythingIncredible said:
It's good to show contempt for your audience.

*sigh*

The only advice I can offer is to pick an audience and stick with it. Stop trying to appeal as both a comedy movie and an action one. Because then your movie is good at neither. Just ask the people behind The Phantom Menace.
As a person who loves both and uses both for his stories you can be a comedy and an action it requires skill. Hrm. I get your point.

I can't believe they can make another one. what are they going to do. Revive megatron again? What about the several other dead robots? and lets not forget the planet looked like it got iced as well. Maybe they are going to wheel out the robot galactus omicron.

Douchebag peter parker seems like an oxymoron seeing as peter parker is a douche especially when he's whining or telling jokes which is very often (I don't think I know a person who likes peter parker as a character rather than a super hero).

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
monnes said:
-Samurai- said:
I never understood the whole "not enough robots" complaint. The movie happens on Earth, and is about a young man that happens to discover a robot alien, and his adventures that follow. It isn't about a bunch of giant robots fighting each other. That's the sub plot
Well that's the problem. I would have to say that a Transformers film based on Transformer toys shouldn't make the Transformers the subplot.
Sure, it's the problem if you wanted the original cartoon to be remade into a set of boring two-and-a-half-hour long movies where there's only a vague plot, and absolutely zero depth.

There's a reason the films are so popular, and it isn't because everyone that goes to see them is mentally handicapped. It's because they work. If people really didn't like the fact that the robots aren't constantly on screen, a second and third movie would have never been made.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
Well, we've lost the other 2 of the three biggest problems in this series, so I'll hope for the best.

And I can live with the numans having dominance in the films, as long as the robots also have some character and aren't just cannon fodder. OMG we killed Jazz, who had 5 minutex of screen time and a line. It's just so hard to care.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Canadish said:
-Samurai- said:

That's the problem people had with it.
The movie is called Transformers. They wanted a movie about the Transformers, and not some bratty kid who wants to get laid.
War for Cybertron and all that. That should have been written as the main plot and Sam as the side character.

That would justify the "leave your brain at the door" argument for me. Sadly I have to sit through 2 hours of fluff and awful masturbation jokes. Not worth it.
What would be the point in a studio spending millions of dollars to make an exact copy of a sub-par cartoon from the 80's?

If you want the old Transformers, go watch the old Transformers. It still exists. The new movies didn't destroy the old cartoon.(Edit)[I should probably note that that wasn't directed at you, but the people that think that the movie should be what the Transformers have always been; Boring.]

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
Why can people behind so many films and games these days only work in trilogies? He could have said 'The next film [waffle waffle waffle]' but instead had to out a whole other trilogy. Is it because Star Wars had two trilogies and everyone is desperate to be the next Star Wars?

I can happily say that after the first Transformers film I didn't bother throwing away money watching the other two. I don't really see where the next film could go either, although is Mr Bay isn't behind it then at least there won't be the need for fluttering American flags and excessive explosions. That was probably half of the budget.