Dark Knight Scribe Will Write New Godzilla Film

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Dark Knight Scribe Will Write New Godzilla Film

The man who wrote Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (and Demonic Toys) is reportedly setting his sights on everyone's favorite lizard.

David S. Goyer has some pretty big projects in the works right now. At the moment, he's written scripts for The Dark Knight Rises, The Man of Steel, and ... Uh ... Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Ok, well, two out of three ain't bad. Now, it turns out that Goyer is attached to the new Godzilla film.

Deadline has reported that Goyer is going to be working with an earlier screenplay for Godzilla that was written by David Callaham, who co-wrote Doom in 1995 and The Expendables. Unsurprisingly, Goyer's involvement is being perceived by just about everybody as a good thing.

It's been thirteen years since 1998's Godzilla came out and stank up movie theaters everywhere (not to mention making Ferris Bueller himself seem totally uncool). As a result, there's been some top-notch talent attached to the film that will undoubtedly do a better job with the source material. Aside from Goyer, Gareth Edwards (the man who directed Monsters) <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106680-Monsters-Director-Gets-New-Godzilla-Movie>has also been attached to the movie.

At the moment, not much is known about the movie's story/tone, but it's speculated that Goyer and Edwards will make it a serious, character-driven monster movie as opposed to the campy brawl-fests that the original Japanese movies were.

Source: Screen Rant

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I don't know about most of the human race, but I watch Godzilla movies specifically too see campy brawl-fests. Please, dear God, do not go the Bayformers route and make a Godzilla movie that shuns the title character to make it about the humans. Godzilla should be about giant monsters (or moderately sized rubber costumes in tiny model cities) having a massive punch-up and causing as much collateral damage as possible!

Captcha:

DO IT FOR LLARROME!!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This is good news. I really hope they don't repeat the Great Tragedy of 98'.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
Hahaha I tip my hat to you for the picture... that takes me back.

I struggle to imagine a good, serious Godzilla movie, because by nature Godzilla is what we want to see, but since he's a monster they'll end up focusing on the human characters to drive the "character driven" movie, which creates some dissonance. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong.

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
Fappy said:
that films brilliant! if you're not at all paying attention. on the brightside though, Jean Reno!
Can Jean Reno please be in the new one too?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Monsters was a great movie, so I may give this one a shot. It will be interesting to see what Edwards can do with a decent budget.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
ChildofGallifrey said:
I don't know about most of the human race, but I watch Godzilla movies specifically too see campy brawl-fests.
Yeah, Im pretty sure if you dont like Godzilla (or any of those Japanese Monster movies) for the Campy-brawls, you are doing it wrong...

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Serious? Character driven? Am I the only one thinking we'll see a "Cloverfield"-ish Godzilla movie now?... not sure what to make of that

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
lolmynamewastaken said:
Fappy said:
that films brilliant! if you're not at all paying attention. on the brightside though, Jean Reno!
Can Jean Reno please be in the new one too?
Actually he has the only line I remember from the movie, "Chew bubblegum. It makes you look more American."

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Whoa, this just broke my brain... how can you make a good Godzilla movie... well I'm glad not to be him right now, and I eagerly await the results.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Honestly, Goyer isn't all that great. He's responsible for crap like The Unborn, Jumper, all three Blade films and the Ghost Rider film. Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were written by Nolan as well as Goyer, which I'd put money on being the reason they weren't as poor as a lot of Goyer's other stuff.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Character-driven..?

Why? Why can't we just have more good 'ol monster movies, but with the "Godzilla is the good guy" twist many in the series did?
Its not about the monster any more if you make it about the little humans! Didn't we figure this out with Transformers already? Why bother with the giant geeky icon if we aren't going to use it to its fullest potential?

This makes me so frustrated, I could just...

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
ChildofGallifrey said:
I don't know about most of the human race, but I watch Godzilla movies specifically too see campy brawl-fests. Please, dear God, do not go the Bayformers route and make a Godzilla movie that shuns the title character to make it about the humans. Godzilla should be about giant monsters (or moderately sized rubber costumes in tiny model cities) having a massive punch-up and causing as much collateral damage as possible!

Captcha:

DO IT FOR LLARROME!!
Exactly this, the only times we should see or hear humans is when they're being eaten or running away screaming in fear.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Mister Benoit said:
ChildofGallifrey said:

Captcha:

DO IT FOR LLARROME!!
Exactly this, the only times we should see or hear humans is when they're being eaten or running away screaming in fear.

or if they're the special monster fighting battalion of the JSDF

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
killamanhunter said:
Mister Benoit said:
ChildofGallifrey said:

Captcha:

DO IT FOR LLARROME!!

Yes to all of the above. It's good to see people know what a Godzilla movie should be about.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Sparrow said:
Honestly, Goyer isn't all that great. He's responsible for crap like The Unborn, Jumper, all three Blade films and the Ghost Rider film. Both Batman Begins and The Dark Knight were written by Nolan as well as Goyer, which I'd put money on being the reason they weren't as poor as a lot of Goyer's other stuff.
Sir, I am in love with your comment. May I have permission to marry it?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
SuperMse said:
Sparrow said:
Sir, I am in love with your comment. May I have permission to marry it?
Only if it's consensual. I'm not in control of my own brilliance after all.

[sup]Seriously though, anyone seen The Unborn? It blowed.[/sup]

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
YES.

YES.

YEEEEESSSSS.

Though I think after cloverfield, this will end up not living up to my standreds.

slacker09 said:
killamanhunter said:
Mister Benoit said:
ChildofGallifrey said:

Captcha:

DO IT FOR LLARROME!!

Yes to all of the above. It's good to see people know what a Godzilla movie should be about.
True, but Cloverield showed that a Kaiju film focusing on the humans could work.