Blizzard Probably Envies This Fan-Made StarCraft MMO

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Blizzard Probably Envies This Fan-Made StarCraft MMO

StarCraft Universe could redefine our core standards of what makes a good videogame mod.

Back in January of this year, a modder by the name of Ryan Winzen gave the project an official thumbs-up [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/107039-Blizzard-Fans-Fuse-StarCraft-2-and-WoW-Into-Whole-New-Game], and invited Winzen to visit the home campus in Irvine, California.

That was back in January. Seven months later, Winzen and his team have released the first gameplay trailer for Starcraft Universe - and it's truly amazing how far the World of Starcraft project has come in seven months. In the video here to the right you can see character creation (admittedly fairly simplistic), but the real star of the show here is the boss battles.

Sure, the combat here is hardly on the same level of an AAA-level game like Batman: Arkham Asylum, but if you told me that this had all been created using a map editor in an RTS, I would have never believed you. The fights look dynamic, the combat looks enjoyable, and it's all very, very pretty. The highlight is probably the battle against the mutalisks, but everything in the video is impressive as hell.

StarCraft Universe isn't a full-fledged MMO - it would be very difficult if not impossible to create a persistent world in StarCraft - but rather a game that "takes the team oriented raiding style of World of Warcraft and combines it with many slasher action RPG elements of Diablo," says Winzen. In other words, it's all three of Blizzard's major franchises thrown together and mixed up. Works for me.

And speaking of Blizzard, Winzen has no harsh words even after the January brouhaha. "For as big as they are, and as hard as they work on games, Blizzard is way above the bar when it comes to their community relations," he told Pixelated Geek [http://pixelatedgeek.com/2011/07/starcraft-universe-releases-first-full-trailer/]. "It's not easy having millions of fans and appeasing them all, but all I can say is they've been good to me, and have definately made improvements on how they interact with the mapping community in general."

The full game won't be complete until around the launch of Heart of the Swarm, said Winzen, but he hopes to have PvP arenas ready for this year's Blizzcon.

Seriously, Blizzard, just hire this guy (and his team) already. He made this game in a map editor. Albeit an incredibly flexible map editor that was always touted as having the potential to build entire games, but a map editor nonetheless.

(Pixelated Geek [http://pixelatedgeek.com/2011/07/starcraft-universe-releases-first-full-trailer/])

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Wow. This looks pretty awesome. I wonder if It'd work on my laptop?

Also, did the music remind anyone of an 80's/early 90's action movie? Or Con Air? Or is this just me?

Captcha: III/IV

Well we know what captha thinks of this.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
This looks incredible. It actually looks better than World of Warcraft.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Wow. That's some mighty ambitious scope right there.

And that's coming from someone with little interest in Starcraft and zero interest in WoW.

Colour me impressed.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
I'm not that big a fan of MMOs or RTSs, but I'm always impressed by hard work. And man, this team has really given it their all!

I probably won't get into this at all, but it looks great! I hope it does well.

PrinceofPersia

Sep 17, 2010
SOMEONE hire this guy and his team already! That was freaking awesome, these folks have got mad skillz.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Color me surprised Kotick didn't put his big fat foot down on this. It's even more surprising than the cool gameplay.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Somewhere out there, a Bioware investor is hanging himself right now.

The Old Republic - Most expensive video game to date allegedly. Looks old, dated and stiff.

A free Starcraft mod? It's free. And it looks fresh and visceral and vibrant.

So, is EA/Bioware gonna give the GG or what?

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
I do not understand the last sentence. Besides the fact that it's quite impressive. It's still what Starcraft II engine is ment to do. Blizzard was selling SCII quite a lot as a game engine to expand upon than simply a game.

Still, very nice looking and polished.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
SteelStallion said:
Canadish said:
Somewhere out there, a Bioware investor is hanging himself right now.

The Old Republic - Most expensive video game to date allegedly. Looks old, dated and stiff.

A free Starcraft mod? It's free. And it looks fresh and visceral and vibrant.

So, is EA/Bioware gonna give the GG or what?
I would address other posts, or bother reading them. I scrolled up from mine and gave up right away.

Not even going to try and argue how retarded that post is because I don't know how serious you are.

Mostly just in fun, based on general reactions to the projects in question. No need to get aggressive.

ShadowyMOON

Mar 5, 2011
Fully agreed with Steel Stallion.

I still hate Blizzard for their 10mb map limit and not allowing importing of custom assets in the editor. Pretty much killed a mod that I was a part of :(

The video itself is more impressive than the actual map would be, it's just a well put video.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
So someone took an old April Fools joke and ran with it?

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-24497252&user=bluebirdts&print=1

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
While definitely cool, this speaks more of how good Blizzard's editor is, rather than the creation.

At least, in my opinion.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
That looks pretty amazing. I'm definitely looking forward to giving this a try!

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
I'm calling it now. If this thing launches, and it ends up being a mod for SC2 and then Blizzard throws in some tools to actually make it a free MMO... Productivity as we know it will no longer exist.