Blizzard Probably Envies This Fan-Made StarCraft MMO

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
I really couldn't tell what was going on half on the time, to many bright lights and explosions.
But it looked cool none the less.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Knowing Kotick, these poor modders are probably going to get sued and then have their idea stolen.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Incredible, I've wanted a world of starcraft since the first time I ever heard about WoW being in development. Been a die hard and cant tell u how many hours of great times i've had going head to head with friends. I think the characters, worlds and everything about SC is more interesting then WoW. and you know it's not knights and orcs..please..ahem PLEASE somehow get this kid a job and get this going. Hopefully all his hard work will pay off cause this is the craziest mod ive ever seen. Even down to the PCs heads move on the team display. No joke. Can't wait for this. Great stuff.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nurb said:
Knowing Kotick, these poor modders are probably going to get sued and then have their idea stolen.

You may have missed the part where Blizzard gave the modder the official thumbs-up and invited him to their studios to meet the SC2 team, then.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
John Funk said:
Nurb said:

You may have missed the part where Blizzard gave the modder the official thumbs-up and invited him to their studios to meet the SC2 team, then.
I did miss that, and I'm very surprised.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Wow, that's pretty damn awesome! I agree, bring these guys to Blizzard!

TitsMcGee1804

Dec 24, 2008
I dont think blizzard are interested in making another WoW, if they do make a starcraft game i reckon it would be some form of space flight game and/or ARPG FPS mmo

WoW does WoW best, blizz knows this they are not stupid

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
Im pretty sure they are already thinking about hiring him. I bet that was the reason they got him over there in the first place. This is like his first school paperwork. They have said in the past that they want/need new young fresh talent to train so that they can pick up their bussiness and to keep the legay of blizzard going. Just like Disney

nuba km

Jun 7, 2010
as impressive as the mod Is I will name 2 reason why I won't bother with it.
1) it looks like zergs aren't playable
2) I don't own starcarft 2 or a computer that can run starcraft 2(this is 99% of the reasons).

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Canadish said:
Somewhere out there, a Bioware investor is hanging himself right now.

The Old Republic - Most expensive video game to date allegedly. Looks old, dated and stiff.

A free Starcraft mod? It's free. And it looks fresh and visceral and vibrant.

So, is EA/Bioware gonna give the GG or what?
Eh, from what I understand, this is basically just a collection of maps that you can jump into. I don't think the characters are persistent. It's more of a PvE MOBA, not really an MMO. Also it doesn't look better (but then it's a mod so why should it?). Also what is this axe people have to grind against TOR? I see people trying to make digs at it in the most random places. Seems like almost any time there's a post about Blizzard or anything even slightly MMO-related, I see someone bringing it up this way.

Eh, whatever. Haters gonna hate.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Fan made Blizzard game comes out using the map editor of SC2 before the second installation of that game comes out. Gods alone know how many games will come out before the Protoss installation arrives. Good grief...

Nov 12, 2010
That's truly amazing. Even the original StarCraft's Editor had always been a powerful tool, but this is simply astonishing! I wonder what that guy and co's technical expertise level, especially such as imperative programming. You just have to be very good with imperative languages if you can pull off something like this.

Mechanix

Dec 12, 2009
Another example of Activision slowly destroying Blizzard. How can someone create something this truly amazing, and the first thought is "SUE EM!".

Well, maybe I'll buy heart of the swarm after all. That was so awesome.

Jan 27, 2011
......I think I might need a change of pants...

This was too awesome for my pants to handle.

I mean...I'd seen early footage of this, and it looks DAMN good then....Now it just looks like it's an ACTUAL professional product MADE by blizzard.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
Where's all the atrocious lag that makes 3rd person games unbearable?

Last time I tried, I was hitting delays of about 800ms (with an average ping of 200 to the US depending how slow THE SERVER'S internet was, mine's 20Mb/s). Obviously I don't live in the US, so even if they released this map on the customs it'd barely be played outside of NA.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
i was wondering when this would be all over the place, i heard about this months ago from a star-craft fanatic friend of mine

what i didn't know however, is that blizzard let them use the name again bravo blizzard!
because, really you have enough money to buy an island and an independent state and stock it with nuclear submarines, so don't tell me mod copyrights could possibly bother you...

also, john ( reporter ) i still doubt this guy is as good as an experienced games developer
( and there are thousands of those clambering over each-other to join blizzard entertainment ) because that inst a game engine, its a mod engine and if he had a proper indie team he'd likely make a fully-fledged indie game and use it to support himself however the base skills and the passion for gaming is certainly there they could hire him as a consultant or to make
( the badly needed ) premium mods for starcraft 2
that would be pretty darn epic if that's what you had in mind!