Amazing Spider-Man Trailer Has Lots of Peter Parker, Almost No Spidey

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Amazing Spider-Man Trailer Has Lots of Peter Parker, Almost No Spidey

We've got another year before The Amazing Spider-Man comes to movie theaters, but the first trailer has just appeared on the Web.

The Amazing Spider-Man has been one of those reboots that a lot of fans haven't been too sure about, especially after the mess of Spider-Man 3. However, the first teaser trailer for the film is now out, and it certainly looks promising, though it features an awful lot of Peter Parker moping about and not very much of Spider-Man being Spider-Man, doing whatever a spider can.

Based on the lengthy teaser-trailer, this is going to be a much darker and more "realistic"-looking film than Sam Raimi's trilogy was. It also seems to be downplaying Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) as a sensitive super nerd and instead focuses on how he's a lonely outcast who just wants to be loved by Gwen Stacy (played by Emma Stone). Oh, and apparently when he gets his powers he starts spinning webs out of the back of his neck or something (wait... what?). Other than that, there's really not much else, but we do get some glimpses of Aunt May and Uncle Ben, as well as Kurt Conners (AKA The Lizard). At the very end of the trailer, we get to see some first-person perspective of Spidey in action, which is probably going to appear in the movie to make the 3D experience all the more intense.

Actually, this doesn't look too bad so far. The art style looks pretty decent, the cast of actors certainly seems great, and Marc Webb's 500 Days of Summer was an excellent movie. The only thing I'm worried about right now is if EA is going to sue Sony for ripping off Mirror's Edge so blatantly in that last segment.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
This trailer sure had a lot of Peter Parkour.

In other news, I didn't know Spider-Man was related to Goku from Dragonball: Evolution. And I certainly didn't know he shopped at the same CG costume store as Green Lantern.

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
well colour me unimpressed, this doesn't look that great, you only get one chance at an introduction o a Marvel character, attempting another one would look desperate, i probably won't be seeing this

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I was interested right up until the end, I really hope they just threw that in there at the last second for some poorly thought of reason and don't plan to have anything like that in the movie.

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
A resounding "Meh". This trailer didn't make me want to see it, Parker looks like a tween idol a la Edward Cullen, and the suit... well, the suit looks pretty cool. Other than that, though? Unless a better trailer comes out, I'm assuming it's a tweeny version of the older Spiderman movie.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Amazing is quite the misnomer for this film's title. The only decent film based off a Marvel property as of late has been X-Men: First Class.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
believer258 said:
SuperMse said:
This trailer sure had a lot of Peter Parkour.

In other news, I didn't know Spider-Man was related to Goku from Dragonball: Evolution. And I certainly didn't know he shopped at the same CG costume store as Green Lantern.
I see what you did there...

Also, what's with the Goku/Dragonball Evolution reference? I don't get it. I did see that movie, though.

And I'm so glad someone else caught the Mirror's Edge crap they pulled at the end. That actually drew me out of the trailer, which isn't good.
I'm saying that the actor looks like the guy who played Goku in Dragonball: Evolution.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
The trailer failed to make me interested in the movie. The first person sequence at the end is awful.

GeeksUtopia

Feb 26, 2011
also did anyone else realize the web coming from his neck? is that where he spins them out cause at time 2:13 it looks like a device is in place on his wrist to redirect it.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I don't know why they're seemingly trying to make Peter Parker more 'edgy'. I liked the first guy's Peter Parker. Toby MacGuire, McGuire? Something.

Also, the web canister thing is fine, it worked with the comics, but I liked the change made by the first trilogy's team making it a mutation.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
Actually, an entire movie based around Spider-Man doing first person web slinging would be miles cooler than most of the other stuff in the trailer imo :/

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Sadly, I live in a third world country, Sweden, and is therefor not worthy to view the video on YouTube.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
Meh. I really don't know what else to say here. Andrew Garfield isn't really making me think he's Peter Parker, and I'm confused about what the hell I'm seeing with webs coming out of his neck. (Made all the more confusing since he clearly has web shooters) Though I like how they're exploring how his parents died, and I've heard elsewhere that this Spidey will be his usual snarky self as opposed to the more serious portrayel from before. McGuire was fine and all, but I prefer a wisecracking Spider-Man.

Still, this trailer hasn't really done anything to convince me that this isn't just Sony trying to cash-in after losing Spider-Man 4.