Freddy Krueger Revealed As Next Mortal Kombat Fighter

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Freddy Krueger Revealed As Next Mortal Kombat Fighter

[gametrailers=717827]

Who is the next DLC character addition to the Mortal Kombat roster? Would you believe Freddy Krueger?

That's no punchline, folks. The next pugilist in line to catch a taste of Scorpion's spear whip is none other than Elm Street's most famous nocturnal serial killer.

As Johnny "Blood Geyser" Depp will remind you, Krueger is a character that debuted in 1984's A Nightmare On Elm Street [http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-Street-Blu-ray/dp/B001G8XOMG/ref=sr_1_6?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1311351770&sr=1-6]. The "bastard son of 100 maniacs," Krueger grew into a sadistic child killer whose homicide spree was eventually ended when a group of concerned parents burned him alive.

This being a Wes Craven film, Krueger died but given that his soul was so twisted, he found a way to strike back at his killers through dreams. Specifically, he would come for their kids in their dreams, and in a flurry of knife fingers and hilarious puns, Krueger would spend eight films murdering sleepy teens in increasingly memorable fashion.

Then, last year, someone at Warner Bros. saw fit to Watchmen [http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-Street-Blu-ray/dp/B002ZG9724]). Though I'm no fan of the Hollywood remake machine, this is a crucial point, as the Mortal Kombat character is based on Haley's Krueger, and not the far more beloved original version.

The modern iteration of Krueger still features the character's fiery origins and his propensity for wearing the bladed glove, but as with most recent horror film rehashes, the character has been made "dark and gritty" (because a horrifically mutilated child killer wasn't gritty enough, apparently).

There's no telling how the choice to go with latter-day Freddy versus his Robert Englund iteration will affect gameplay, though I fear it almost guarantees that the character we're given won't be full of witty quips about the Super Nintendo, Dan Quayle or Crystal Pepsi.

Freddy Krueger joins the fight on August 9, and the download will feature a $5 price tag.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, two things.

- Robert Englund is THE Freddie Krueger. Never mind this "dark and gritty" nonsense. The first two Elm St. movies were fine, before things went ridiculous.

- That said, I'm not sure that Englund's Freddie would fit in with this production. He would've sold like hotcakes in Mortal Kombat 3, though.

Sean Strife

Jan 29, 2010
This Freddy seems to be a fine meeting between the Haley and Englund versions: It looks like it has the look of of Haley's Kruger but some of his fatalities seem... awfully Englund-esque.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Uhhh... really? Wow. I... Just wow. Okay, suddenly I'm a lot more interested in this game.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
So, not only do we have a character that shouldn't even be in Mortal Kombat in the first place, but its the newer version of the character that no one likes? And its overpriced at $5. Yeah, I'm not touching that with a ten-foot pole.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Well, I can see people calling bullshit on those long range floor spikes.
Also, $5 for one character? Jaysus.

Vigilantis

Jan 14, 2010
Hahaha didn't see that one coming. Well beyond the "WTF is Freddy doing in MK" I think this is pretty cool, MK9 has been serving me well unlike MvC3 and I hope that this isn't the end of the crazy DLC.

Freddy Vs Jason vs Leatherface anyone?

P.S: Yeah those floor spikes look a little OP...hope I don't run into a good Freddy player anytime soon.

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
So out of three fatalities, they come up with one half decent one? I want the God damned bed blender!!!!

Hell, even the bed of nails would be better than a gut stab!

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
I won't be interested until Sweet Tooth is in this game :D

(for the needlessly nitpicky, Needles Kane)

Mouse_Crouse

Apr 28, 2010
That movie player, whatever it is... never works right for me. It is always zoomed in so that I am missing half the screen.

On the note of the actual post: I HATE HATE HATE when they do this crap. I don't want Link, Spawn, Yoda, Darth Vader, or any other nonsense character in my fighting games. I don't care what BS nonsense they give me for why Yoda is fighting Siegfried with a lightsaber, It doesn't fit and it makes it awkward.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Freddy Krueger, in Mortal Kombat?

Well, both franchises are gratuitously over-the-top in their goriness I suppose...

...Eh, sure, why the hell not? I'm sure my brother'll get a kick out of this, at the very least, what with him being a long-time MK and Freddy Krueger fan.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Madara XIII said:
AvsJoe said:
Uhhh... really? Wow. I... Just wow. Okay, suddenly I'm a lot more interested in this game.
lol that's what it takes?
Yup. Novelty. Other than sports games and sequels to games I love, the only games I buy have their novelty value cranked cranked to 11. I probably still won't buy the game (I didn't buy MK vs DC either) but I am a lot more interested than I was this time yesterday.

NimrodXIV

Jul 12, 2010
I'm very amused by this, being a fan of Freddy, but the price for the DLC is too high.
And Freddy's not supposed to have gloves (blades) on both hands!

DJ Jack

Nov 18, 2009
Personally, I am very surprised they choose Freddy over a more... intimidating fighter. I mean, come on, Jason Voorhees kicked the crap out of Freddy in "Jason Vs. Freddy," and he's pretty much an overgrown zombie in a hockey mask! If anything, I would have gone with Ash Williams if they were so determined to put in a famous horror film character. At least then we would have a character we know is used to taking a beating!

...Or longstory short: I am very much looking forward to beating the sweater off our little jerkey-skinned friend here. :p

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Thats...ok, I can't say I'm a fan of either franchise at all, but I still can't think of any remotely good reasons for a crossovery thing for them. Well, beyond the shameless money making one.